Insider... Installing clean

jwhipple

Banned
Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
So I had Windows 8.1 (non-pro) and as an insider I had Win 10 pro.

If I do a clean install of 10 pro, what do I use as an activation key? My original Win 8.1 (non-pro) key? Or do I skip activation and logon to Windows using my Live account that is associated with my insider account?

Or am I stuck with the Home edition if I do a clean install?

Patrick Hoque

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Im in the exact same problem right now. I just skipped the product key for now.
I'll let you know what I find when im done with the clean install.

Patrick Hoque

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
So after the clean install I had a restart of my system and it had verfied itself. Even tho it now is the home edition.
I'll have to check up on if pro is a possibility, for now I'm glad I have an active working windows.

AmanGupta96

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
--forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-pc-laptop/370015-windows-10-upgrade-installation-faq.html--

You have to first upgrade to Win10 and then clean install. As I understand it.

FLJeepGuy

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
After upgrading from a prior Windows license, that license is converted to a comparable Windows 10 license and stored in the cloud associated with your Microsoft logon account. When you do a clean install of Windows 10 and enter your Microsoft logon info, the Windows 10 license is retrieved from the cloud and used to verify the Windows 10 install. No manual license entry occurs. Since you came from a non-pro Windows 8 install, the Windows 10 license is also non-pro. Your only legal option is to purchase the upgrade to Windows 10 pro.

Baron164

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I am curious about the license, I upgraded a Windows 7 and an 8.1 machine today and after upgrading both machines are "activated" but show the same product key. So now my concern is when I have to upgrade or if my motherboard dies I won't be able to I stall a clean copy of 10.

FLJeepGuy

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
From what I've been able to glean from forum posts, etc. You can pretty much upgrade anything in your box except the motherboard. Microsoft considers a motherboard swap as a "new" machine. More than likely, you can use the phone based activation if you have trouble after a motherboard swap. I've done this on prior versions of Windows, including my 8.1 install without issue. Note that this only pertains to OEM licenses, not retail copies since OEM licenses are tied to the "machine" (read: motherboard) they came with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3