My Windows 10 update is stuck at the Welcome Back screen, how can I fix this?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

windows 10 update stuck at Welcome back! screen

so i installed windows 10 this morning and it went through the steps and got to a point in the install that says "Hi there, welcome back!" with a "next" button in the bottom right of the screen. When i click it nothing happens. If i click on the screen after about a minute it goes lighter blue and then reboots back to the very same screen. Please help my computer has been rendered useless.

x2mjokada

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
If anyone is having WiFi driver problems specifically with NETGEAR USB devices, see the fixes posted over at:

community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Adapters/Windows-10-A6100-A6200-A6210-Installation-Heads-Up/td-p/966923

If you have a different brand of WiFi adapter, try looking in forums of your specific manufacturer as people probably have posted fixes for those as well.

Brian Perrett

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
I don't know whether it was taking out some usb peripherals or tabbing over to the next button because I did both at the same time, but it worked. Thank you! I was afraid this was going to be something more sinister.

cheffy1

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Amazingly, this tab and space worked for me. Thank you! I have a wireless mouse that normally needs to be clicked to get back to the desktop if the computer goes to sleep, so I'm wondering if that may have an impact as to how this works for some and not for others. I'll play with it and post back here if I can figure anything out.

Ronie Porfirio

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Re: windows 10 update stuck at Welcome back! screen

Same problem here and same solution.

Each time this problem happens I press Function + F12 which in my computer it turns off Wi Fi and put the computer into Flying Mode...

Then after a few seconds it let me "Enter" the login.

So, now each time I want to turn off the computer I switch wi fi off.
Thats the Kind of trouble we have for using RUINDOW$

Shame on you Microsoft

Todd Wright1

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site

I literally signed up an account just so i can say THANK YOU SOOO VERY MUCH!!!! i just spend the last week trying to figure this out... countless hours of Microsoft help.... 3 days of no sleep just installing, uninstalling OS's, then a simple yet tricky google search and BOOM THIS BEAUTIFUL THREAD!!!! SIR THANK YOU SOOO MUCH my Cisco AE3000 wifi adapter was the culprit the WHOLE TIME!!!! damn thing lol anyways finally in windows 10 lets see if she'll activate... also i was at first in windows 8.1pro (this was kind of a hacktivation i wont lie.... they gave use media center for free that made windows genuine lol) to 10 then back to windows 7 home premium to 10

Andrew Stephen1

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I wrote this for laypeople like myself, so it might make a techie or two roll their eyes. I had the same problem as everyone else on this thread. In my case I could type in my password, but nothing happened when I hit enter, clicked "next", or tabbed to "next" and hit enter. If I waited about 60 seconds and clicked "next" I got a loading wheel which spun indefinitely until I clicked "next" again, and the my screen would go black for a number of minutes and then rebooted to "Welcome back". After around 6-7 restarts I got on google with my phone and found this thread, and like everyone else it was my USB wireless adapter driver messing everything up. My adapter is an Etekcity 3072 I picked up on amazon (from what I've read a lot of folks with different adapter brands are having this issue). After a forced shutdown (held power button for 10 seconds) unplugged the adapter, and restarted. This got me past the welcome screen, I then did a custom set up and disabled all of Microsoft's spyware (which was every option just to be safe, I figured if there was something I want to try I'll research it more thoroughly later, in my case though it seemed like I had everything I needed already). After your desktop fully loads up, if you want to avoid a lot of headache, before inserting your adapter to get back online, either insert your driver disk to uninstall your usb wireless adapter driver (I just clicked the "exe." file and it found the driver was already there and offered to uninstall it), if you do not have the disc someone else said to reboot in "safe mode" (hit F4 when rebooting) and remove the driver from "device manager" (I could not see it in normal mode when I looked). Once you have removed your driver simply plug in your adapter and it should work like any "plug and play" device, and you should be online, now head to settings and "update & security" to check for updates.

Billd598

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Disconnecting the wireless network , then shutting the laptop off then turn it back on , then windows 10 ran through the startup and got to my home page , the only problem I am having now is trying to connect back to the Internet with my wireless system , can't find the page that Sam for my password yet! But at least windows 10 is working , thanks Bill

Dankulo

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately these solutions haven't worked for me. I don't have anything plugged into my laptop and it still gets stuck at the screen and then goes into a blue screen. I'm upgrading to 10 Pro from the 10 preview.

alyemeni

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site

so i installed windows 10 this morning and it went through the steps and got to a point in the install that says "Hi there, welcome back!" with a "next" button in the bottom right of the screen. When i click it nothing happens. If i click on the screen after about a minute it goes lighter blue and then reboots back to the very same screen. Please help my computer has been rendered useless.

Hank Manz

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
The Hi There message indicates that you are pretty far along in the upgrade process. Before doing anything else, check your Internet connection. If you are connected via a WiFi adapter, trade it for a hardwired connection. I have answered trouble calls on 5 stuck Windows 10 upgrade problems recently and simply plugging the PC into a port on a nearby hub solved the problem all five times. In all cases I had to find a new version of the software associated with the WiFi adapter. In two cases the newer version did not exist so it was new adapter time.

lannshine

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Just registered to say thank you. I don't have a USB wifi adapter but a built-in wife/bluetooth assembly card. The update went through the "Next" part after I unplugged the wifi cable from the master I/O board. Thanks a lot!

Vishgvdn

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site

This WORKS! !!!!!!!!!!

I had a Asus wifi adapter plugged in. Removed it and voila
Wow you are a life saver! !! Thank you! !!!!

Vestal Inc

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
i have had the same issue what i did was shutdown my pc all the way, then i powered it up and while it turned on i pressed F11 a couple times(might be F10, F12 for some) then i went into the repair mode or recovery mode it should be a blue screen with options. and then on teh right hand side of the options is go back to previous operating system i click it i little bit later i am back to windows 7 pro. 100% works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa