The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
09-13-2015 11:49 AM
28 12
tools
    I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64 using the method that everyone knows about by now that was written up on various sites today i.e.:

Ran the Media Creation Tool and upgraded my copy of Window 8.1 Professional with Windows 10 Professional. Looked in Control Panel --> System and it said my copy of Windows was activated. Then I ran the Media Creation Tool again and downloaded the ISO. Burned ISO to DVD. Restarted computer, booted into Windows installer on DVD, customized the install by formatting drive, did a fresh install of Windows 10.

Now when I go into Control Panel --> System it says "Windows not activated". When I click on the Activate Windows icon and click the error details link I get the error code: 0xC004C003.

Has anybody encountered this problem or does anyone know how to resolve it?

edit: I should note that the Windows 8 OS came pre-installed on my laptop which I bought brand new. I don't think that matters?
    07-29-2015 04:37 PM
    Is Windows 10 to set to boot to automatically at startup?
    07-29-2015 04:44 PM
    Yes, it boots into Windows 10 automatically and takes me to the log-in screen.
    07-29-2015 04:50 PM
    07-29-2015 04:53 PM
    See the last item in the FAQ
    Ok, got it. I'll report back in two days if it isn't activated by then. Thanks!
    07-29-2015 04:59 PM
    Hello, any news on this problem? it has been 2 days and I don't have windows activated since i did a clean install same error code error 0xC004C003. thanks
    07-31-2015 11:40 AM
    Hello, any news on this problem? it has been 2 days and I don't have windows activated since i did a clean install same error code error 0xC004C003. thanks
    I have the same problem.
    07-31-2015 01:47 PM
    Paul Thurrott does a What-the-tech podcast with Andrew Zarian and this week's episode was about Windows 10. Zarian is a professed Mac user but was gamely trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 on a few of his laptops and ran into a similar problem. Thurrott is literally writing the book on Windows 10, and has been installing the successive releases for months now on a variety of devices and setups, so his talking Zarian down off the ledge might be constructive and also instructive. https://www.thurrott.com/podcasts/49...ndow-10-review. A lot of the discussion went over my head, but Thurrott seems to have a workaround in mind and I expect he will address it in detail in the near future.
    07-31-2015 02:43 PM
    exactly the same scenario with me. Yesterday did an in place upgrade of win8.1 using the media creation tool. Booted win10 and it said activated. Then did a clean install and it says not activated with error code: 0xC004C003 Getting a little bit pi$$ed off with it now as I have lots of software to download and reinstall. I could revert to my 8.1 backup and try again but it just takes bleedy hours of buggering around!
    08-01-2015 08:10 AM
    Same issue here. Installed to my W8.1 hybrid from a USB stick and chose a clean install rather than an in-place upgrade. Now it won't activate. When I try to enter my original (fully genuine) W8.1 product key it says it's been blocked. Error code is C004C003.

Spoke to a nice man in India who says this is a known problem for those who've done a clean install, and that Microsoft are working on a patch. He told me it would be a couple of days, and then W10 will download it automatically and the problem will go away.

I wouldn't get hung up on the "two days" promise, though - I wouldn't be surprised if that's a bit optimistic bearing in mind how busy they must be at Redmond at the moment. I'm not going to fret until another week has passed.
    Dadstar0410 likes this.
    08-01-2015 10:13 AM
    Same issue here. But I have the same issue after I upgraded to Windows 10. I didn't even try to do clean install.
    08-01-2015 10:54 AM
    I just hope that they don't ask me to re-install Windows 8.1. I don't have the original media for that because I had upgraded from Windows 7 years ago.
    08-02-2015 08:48 AM
    exact same situation as OP. After 8.1 to 10 upgrade i first tried resetting the OS which should only take some 10 minutes according to windows (i even have a SSD) but then after 2 hours resetting it progressed only 2% (i read online ppl waited 48hours to reset). so i canceled and re-installed manually. and now it won't ****in activate. called windows and they said "the only solution was to reinstall windows 8.1 and the upgrade again" .....but then at what point after upgrading to win10 are you supposed to be able to re-install it?
    can i create a second OS installation partition with 8.1 and upgrade it to win10, and after activation delete it again? will these steps let me activate my current win 10?
    maybe i should wait for this ominous patch the Indian customer service agent talked about
    08-05-2015 02:27 PM
    ok so found out that u have to update ur windows first then u can clean install after that well that's what they said to me I will give it a go nad let you no what the outcome is
    08-05-2015 04:48 PM
    this is what i have done already.
    so maybe we have to wait some days for the activation to take effect and be communicated with the windows activation servers before we can re-install win10. or maybe we could read out the windows 10 key with the special tool and enter this after clean install.

however my windows remains unactivated and i would like to hear a solution. maybe create a backup and then restore this on activated fresh install? i have no idea.
    WilliamGates likes this.
    08-06-2015 02:38 AM
    guys. . i believe Microsoft disabled "Clean Installs".
    i successfully did a clean install 6 days ago.. and there was an 'Activate' button.

i ran into trouble and decided to do another clean install but this time it failed, and the 'Activate' button has been disabled.
    i bit the bullet and started from Windows 8.1, upgraded successfully, then ensured activation was successful..
    then began the 'Clean Install' again..

again.. error with 'Key Blocked'.. and the 'Activate' button has been disabled.

whoever is saying Microsoft saves your hardware as a Hash is lying.
    i called Microsoft and they said 'ONLY UPGRADES'.

they refused to help if you tell them you did a clean install.

just my experience.
    08-06-2015 08:01 AM
    guys. . i believe Microsoft disabled "Clean Installs".
    i successfully did a clean install 6 days ago.. and there was an 'Activate' button.

i ran into trouble and decided to do another clean install but this time it failed, and the 'Activate' button has been disabled.
    i bit the bullet and started from Windows 8.1, upgraded successfully, then ensured activation was successful..
    then began the 'Clean Install' again..

again.. error with 'Key Blocked'.. and the 'Activate' button has been disabled.

whoever is saying Microsoft saves your hardware as a Hash is lying.
    i called Microsoft and they said 'ONLY UPGRADES'.

they refused to help if you tell them you did a clean install.

just my experience.
    I tried resetting my laptop several times via keeping files and not, and each time I completed the reset sometimes I had the 'Activate' button and sometimes I didn't. Not sure why it comes and goes after each reset, but regardless still can't activate my system after a week.
    08-07-2015 04:00 PM
    I too followed the directions explicitly and upgraded from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Professional 32-bit. The upgrade activated within a minute. Later that evening I decided to do a clean install because of all of the extra cruft that Dell installs and that I no longer need after migrating from Vista to Windows 7 to Windows 10. Also I wanted to move to the 64-bit version. I did a clean install on the activated system with an ISO version that I created from the Media Creation Tool. The install ran flawlessly, but 7 days later my installation still has not activated. MS technical support keeps giving me lame excuse that the servers are still overloaded yet I've done a few other upgrades on other machines that activate immediately.

During the upgrade process, some basic information on the hardware configuration is sent to Microsoft about a dozen times. I assume that this information is the HW fingerprint that they will use to periodically use to activate and authorize our machines. My log files from the upgrade indicate successful activation and my HW information has not changed so I can only assume that there is something else blocking my clean install. It may be the change to the 64-bit version even though MS clearly states that changing versions will have no impact on the activation.

I believe that MS product management needs to change its policy to allow those of us with legitimate copies of Windows that can prove it to be issued a new product key to activate our valid copies of Windows 10. I have too much time invested in doing multiple upgrades, backups, restores, and reinstalls to keep doing this. I've started spending more of my time in OS X as a result of this upgrade process. I think that Windows 10 is a great product but I am tired of spending countless hours with Microsoft trying to activate validly purchased products due to their draconian licensing processes.
    920Walker likes this.
    08-07-2015 07:24 PM
    I will follow this conversation, have the same problem, and need a solution.
    unavngivet.png
    08-08-2015 02:25 PM
    I have the same problem from 5th August!Spent four days, and Microsoft Hellas tells me the same with other countries, I need to wait a few days.Really, I waited four days and did not change nothing!I dont know what's wrong but Microsoft something must be done immediately!
    Shame on you Microsoft ! Problematic Microsoft !
    08-09-2015 05:44 AM
    You said in your first post something about an activation key being associated with MCT? Where did you get that? That software is used to generated an ISO to burn to DVD/USB media, that's all. And after MS release build 10240, I wouldn't put my trust in anything found on a torrent site. You really don't expect people to go and find some obscure torrent site to download Windows 10 do you? This is Microsoft's screw up with their activation servers and the way the entitlements are not being sync'd after a clean install. And to get receive lame answers from their support staff after sitting on a call for long periods of time is like rubbing salt into the wound.
    08-13-2015 02:43 PM
    Using an ISO from a torrent or from the Media Creation Tool is not the issue here.

To everyone doing a clean Windows 10 install and been getting an Error Code 0xC004C003 for several days with out activation.

I have tried several times to activate my Windows 10. I had several systems that I upgraded Windows via Windows update etc. Upgrading I was able to activate with no problems every single time. After I upgraded and activated I did a clean install from a USB created with Media Creation Tool from MS. No matter what I did the clean install wouldnt activate and would give an Error Code 0xC004C003. I made sure that my Windows 10 upgrade was activated first. I logged into an MS account once I installed Windows 10 thinking that would help. Nothing worked but I kept trying. Heres what I did that now has since worked on the two systems was getting the Error Code 0xC004C003 for days.

1. First, I removed all Windows 10 listings from my "Devices" on my Microsoft account. Each computer with Windows 10 gets listed there. They get added back once you login again.

2. Next I started from scratch. I reinstalled Windows 8.1 clean. Now this time something different I did that I hadnt done before was I logged into my MS account on Windows 8. I historically had been using "local accounts".
    I also made sure the install was activated by going to the "CMD" prompt and typing "slmgr.vbs /ato".

3. Once started logging into Windows using my MS account and was certain Windows 8 was activated then I started the upgrade process. I used Windows update on one computer and Media Creation Tool on the other computer to do a Windows 10 Upgrade. Again once Windows 10 was installed I made sure it was activated by going to the "CMD" prompt and typing "slmgr.vbs /ato". I also then made sure that I was logging into Windows 10 with my MS account. For giggles I restarted the computer a few times to make sure it synced with the activation servers etc. I even did a few quick updates for the hell of it.
    (You can login to your MS account and now see your computer listed under devices.)

4. Next is when I finally did a clean install of Windows 10. Again I used a USB from the Media Creation Tool.
    During the install I made sure to login to my MS account. Viola it was automatically activated instantly.

Thoughts: I have two theories about this. The two things I did different were as follows. Again as I pointed out I historically was using local accounts so while on Windows 8 perhaps logging into Windows 8 via an MS account logs the Hardware and the licensing information on the account. It does not show under devices like Windows 10 installs but it could however be logged behind the scenes. As I type this out I wonder then what that means for Windows 7 users. Perhaps those upgrades arnt the ones experiencing the issues. I dont know as I havent done a Windows 7 to 10 clean install.
    My next different action was using the "slmgr.vbs /ato" command both when I installed Windows 8 and when I did the upgrade to Windows 10. Either way I did this exact process twice (very time consuming lol) and it worked on two computers that I did upgrades and then clean installs before but wouldn't activate even after 12 days.

Im sure someone somewhere will find this useful so I knew I had to post it.

Thanks!
    a5cent likes this.
    08-13-2015 06:42 PM
    As I mentioned before. It's a total Microsoft screw up. And like you said, Windows 7 customers can't follow your procedure before there is no MS account login procedure. And yes, Windows 7 customers are experiencing the same issue as reported in many posts on the Microsoft Community forums. What a friggin' mess Microsoft has introduced just to catch a few pirates. Just lame.
    08-13-2015 09:30 PM
    Im sure someone somewhere will find this useful so I knew I had to post it.
    Thanks!
    First of all, thank you for your clear description. It's rare that people can clearly describe a computer supported process in a way that makes sense to others, even if it's as simple as an installation process.

What you describe is what I've been recommending people do ever since W10 launched. Unfortunately, there are simply too many conflicting reports to make sense out of anything right now. Going with the MS account, as you did, is certainly the safer bet. However, I've since seen people report doing an in-place upgrade, then a clean-install, and finally successfully activating W10 with nothing but an internet connection (without an MS account).

See this thread:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...0/370015-7.htm posts #173 and #170

The member reporting success also links to an article by Paul Thurott who claims that approach should work fine.

If it wasn't the use of the MS account that changed your fortunes (likely because of the W7 issues that raises), then we have two remaining possibilities:

- the 'slmgr.vbs /ato'
    - nothing you did differently mattered at all, but something MS changed (to their activation servers or an update they released to you via WU) fixed it.

Take your pick.

In closing, like you I'll also state that this issue has absolutely nothing to do with the choice of installation media (MCT or otherwise).
    08-14-2015 01:51 PM
    Hi,

I have had the exact same problem as described in this thread and I have tried every "fix" i could find.

I waited 2 weeks for windows to try and activate itself after getting error code oxC004c003 and with no luck I contacted microsoft support. Microsoft support tried a few things and in the end simply deleted my product key, and told me to wait 48 hours for windows to find (hash saved to hardware) and attempt activation automatically.

I waited 5 days and nothing. I contacted Microsoft support again, he updated my computer (which surprisingly found one update it was only updated a few hours earlier) and did a few things and couldn't resolve the problem. He eventually issued me with a NEW windows 10 key.

Not long after I received a call from Microsoft again apologising for the issue, she stated that for customers who still have the problem after the latest update, Microsoft is issuing NEW windows 10 keys.

I suggest contacting them.
    Last edited by Leroy John; 08-19-2015 at 10:39 PM.
    920Walker and a5cent like this.
    08-19-2015 10:11 PM
28 12