Clean install on new SSD drive?

xrko

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Tony -My hard drive crashed and I bought a new SSD. I used the ISO and began the install. It asked for the key and did not accept my w7 key. I understand that they want me to install w7 first and then upgrade and then wipe and then do a clean install. I refuse. If I install w7 again, I am staying with it. I will wait a few days first, to see what happens.

sabas1

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
OK, thx guys. I think I'll just stick with my initial approach. Thx for all your input and suggestions, appreciate it.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Tony Clegg

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Xrko - Sorry about the issues you have had, but belive the only way around it is to install Win 7, run the Win 10 upgrade, then if needs be, do a clean install once the licence has updated.

Sabas - Good luck, and post back, let others know how you got on as you won't be alone. I too will go for clean install at the weekend, but may have some issues with the devices registered on my Microsoft account as now saying max devices 3, which could in turn provide additional headaches for me...

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Tony -My hard drive crashed and I bought a new SSD. I used the ISO and began the install. It asked for the key and did not accept my w7 key. I understand that they want me to install w7 first and then upgrade and then wipe and then do a clean install. I refuse. If I install w7 again, I am staying with it. I will wait a few days first, to see what happens.

Then say with w7

sabas1

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
OK, need some help here guys:

I replaced the old hdd drive from my laptop with the new ssd drive

Booted up and began installing my retail copy of windows 7

However, when it came to inputting the product key it said it was invalid. How is that?

Now I'm stuck on this step and can't do anything

What the hell!?! What can I do?

Plz, suggestions.

sabas1

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Install without the Key, 7 let you do that, then activate via phone once youre all installed

Damn, I'm an *****. Just realized my copy of windows 7 home premium is the upgrade one, ugh. Are the upgrade copies of windows 7 able to get Windows 10?

Crap, now I'm really bummed. I'm so stupid, hahaha.

Edit: scrap everything I said, all is good now. 👌😁

Last edited:

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
To those confused about the activation and product keys, this article at the SuperSite for Windows is the most clear explanation I've read. Here is the pertinent information:

The basic process is that when you perform an upgrade to Windows 10 (over a genuine Windows 7 or 8.1 system), an anonymous and unique hardware hash is generated that is based on your systems hardware configuration. Since it is anonymous, you do not have to use a Microsoft Account. This hardware hash is generated even if you choose to install Windows 10 with a Local Account.

That same hardware hash is sent to Microsoft servers and a corresponding certificate is created to validate your systems activation status. From this point forward any future installs, including one where you delete all partitions and install Windows 10 from scratch, will be activated because of that unique hardware hash and the corresponding certificate. Since it is all stored on Microsoft?s servers there is no reason for us to keep a backup either.

One further caveat is that any future subsequent re-installations on this machine have to be the same Windows 10 version installed during the initial upgrade process (Home or Pro).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs