$Windows.~Bt folder just shrunk in size?

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
This is painful.

So yesterday I didn't get a notification, but I went to Windows Update to check for updates. The 'You've reserved Windows 10' message was gone. Then I noticed a failed update, so I went and had a look at the update history: Windows 10 Home upgrade had failed, error code 8020020. Ah.

Looked on it this morning, still failed, still the same in Windows Update, and the GWX app still says it'll let me know when it's ready.

So I thought I'd check the $Windows.~BT folder. Last night, it was modified. That got my hopes up, maybe they haven't finished adding everything they need.

The folder's size? A massive reduction from 5.93GB yesterday to 140MB today. How can I lose 5.79GB of files all of a sudden? I have deleted nothing.

I have no clue what is happening or how this is going to work. I am not a user confident in all of the get-around tricks. I just want a simple upgrade.

Anyone else have this?

EDIT: Just checked the other PC in house. No failed update like mine, but the same folder was modified at exactly the same time last night, doing the exact reverse to mine and switching from 140Mb to 5.9GB. What is this?

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
And now it's returned to it's normal size. This is getting knackering.

Decided I'll just leave it, glad I got my Windows 10 files back, even if I can't use 'em. The 80240020 auto-upgrade failures might be common and simply a way of the computer being unable to access the Windows 10 download because Microsoft hasn't rolled it out to my device yet.

Got a year to work this out anyways.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss