Windows Hello

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Do you mean the face recognition? If so, surface 3 does not have it as it requires special camera. Surface 4 pro will probably have it once it comes out.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Surface 3 line was designed before the hardware and software for Hello was available. It's not available on much of anything at the moment. I may get the camera for my desktop.

vaderag

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
How can it be more than a standard webcam? I had software that did this in xp days (albeit badly)! Also, Ms have had this on Xbox for years, so don't buy the pre hardware available excuse

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It uses 3D scanning technology. It's a bit more like Kinect sensor. It's supposed to be faster, more accurate and can't be easily fooled.

A Surface 3 will work with Hello if you have one of the cameras but I don't think there are any consumer available cameras just yet. With 1 USB port and such a small form factor it won't be too practical on the S3. But if you had a docking station it could probably be added to the setup.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
How can it be more than a standard webcam?
Because pictures can't trick the camera. This actually takes a 3d scan of your face and uses that data to sign you in. No pictures of you are taken. If you do a bit of research on the realsense cameras, you will understand too.

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
pretty much. The Intel real sense system uses 3 cameras in tandem to create the composite. I am expecting that we will see devices come out with the technology before we see any standalone products. I don't think we will see the web cams hit the retail market until at least October.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking forward to using that technology on a device like that in a work setting. It would be great not having to sign in to a device every time the screen turns off. Sadly, my next work upgrade timeframe will probably be a Surface Pro 3.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon