05-08-2016 11:33 PM
65 123
tools
    I think I have a solution that worked for me.
    Steps-
    1) Remove all devices connected to your lappie
    2)Long Press the power button to turn off your lappie
    3)remove battery and charger if connected
    4)Press power button for 20 sec to remove all electrostatic charges
    5) Putt battery, Connect Charger and turn on normally

If this solution worked for you, let me know.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm afraid this didn't help with my Envy 17t-3200 3D CTO (I pulled the back cover and unplugged the battery harness form the motherboard).
    08-03-2015 04:57 PM
    For now I have the "when I close the lid" set to do "nothing". So when I close the lid, only the screen shuts down and after 15 minutes the hard drive goes to sleep... So at least I don't have to restart the computer every time but this is far from an ideal solution.
    Interestingly, this hasn't solved the problem for my Envy 17t-3200 3D CTO. I get into a similar locked up state when I Win-L lock the screen when walking away from my desk. I wonder if screen blanking is the trigger.

My computer is 3 years old so warranty support isn't going to help. Your Alienware is a Dell? Perhaps the problem is very widespread and maybe we'll get luck and Microsoft will address it.
    08-03-2015 05:01 PM
    Dave, I'm not sure if you have the same problem. It sounds a bit different.

The only problem I have is that when the computer should be sleeping, in other words, when it times out or when I close the screen, it shuts down instead of sleeping. And it doesn't matter if it is plugged in and charging or not, it just shuts down.

For my pc, the power drain simply meant unplugging it and holding the power button in for at least fifteen seconds, and they just made standard changes to the sleep settings.

However, it doesn't matter what they did, because it seems to have just been a temporary fix. The problem has returned.

If I can find another hour-and-a-half to call HP again tomorrow and go through all the stupid questions like "And do you want your notebook to be able to sleep?," then I will call them and complain again, if the problem has not somehow righted itself by then.

I kind of think that they have their support representatives playing stupid about the problem. One responder here found evidence that this issue actually started in beta testing, over a year ago. And my thread here and on the Windows 10 forum have tons of replies, almost all from HP Pavilion and Envy users. Plus there are about a million other threads about the same problem.

Luckily, my computer is still is under warranty, and I can even still purchase extened coverage, because they sold me this computer under the guise that it would be Windows 10 compatible, which it obeviously isn't.
    08-03-2015 06:56 PM
    Still no update or fix for it I see.

I will try to call Microsoft again this afternoon - hopefully I won't get cut off next time!

I'm giving it till the weekend, if no fix I am going back to Windows 8.1!
    08-04-2015 07:13 AM
    Have you tried updating your video card drivers with Windows 10 support?
    08-04-2015 03:15 PM
    Have you tried updating your video card drivers with Windows 10 support?
    Yes. Catalyst notified me of an update after installing Win 10.
    08-04-2015 04:21 PM
    I have seen the issue on my son's HP Pavillion, but also on my wife's SP3, each time on waking the device.
    Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del everytime solved the problem.
    08-05-2015 07:24 AM
    Happening on my Lenovo ThinkPad W500. The only fix so far is to revert to Windows 7.
    08-05-2015 09:01 AM
    Pressing ALT+CLTR+DEL is solving problem. Please confirm.
    08-05-2015 10:13 PM
    Ok just install Windows 10 to my laptop omg i should mever done it..mow laptop has gone crazy..blinks all the time and i vant get to stop..can someone tell ho stop my laptop from blinking remove windows 10
    08-06-2015 01:14 AM
    Love Windows 10 - I've been an Insider since the beginning. This problem evidently started with one of the updates that were released after W10 launched. It didn't occur with the 10240 build by itself, which I'd been running since it was made available.

But now my HP Pavilion 15-p009ng does this nearly every time I set it to sleep or shut down. It doesn't switch off completely - the fan is still running and the power button still lights up. There is nothing you can do to get the computer out of this state - all you can do is hold down the power button for 10 seconds to shut off the machine and then restart.

There was a new BIOS update from HP in July, so I initially suspected this was the problem - and reverted to the previous version. That made no difference.
    08-06-2015 04:34 AM
    Thanks, but doesn't work for me.
    I'm starting to think my problem doesn't match up with what is being discussed here.
    I can sleep and wake-up fine.

My lockup occurs when the computer sits idle and times-out the display. Most commonly when I hit Win-L (Lock), and let the screen time-out (which doesn't seem to be user configurable).

Perhaps I'll start a new thread over at HP for people dealing with my specific model.
    08-06-2015 10:01 AM
    I don't care how big the font is... this is NOT a fix. It doesn't work. Microsoft should be fixing this. Unacceptable.
    08-07-2015 03:58 AM
    I have the same problem on my Dell Alienware 17. I have tried every setting in the power area but no luck. Once my computer puts itself to sleep, the only way I can wake it up is to press and hold the power button to force a shut down and then reboot. My keyboard/power button lights still are working but nothing I do will wake the computer including a ctrl-alt-del. This problem wasn't there in earlier builds (I've been a tech preview tester for quite a while) but I think it appeared with 10240 or the build before that.

It is driving me crazy and I am just about to go back to 8.1 as I am worried about what all this forced shutdown rebooting is doing to my system.

I am in Canada so I don't have Cortana yet but still am having probloems with the start menu and accessing the action centre.
    08-10-2015 05:20 PM
    Using HP ENVY 15 K....something

Anywayz I have been having this trouble ever since I upgraded from 8.1 to 10, but once I did a clean install of windows 10 (means 8.1 was removed along with OEM softwares) the problem was solved. Been using for the last two days without any hiccup.

Although, my laptop is no more starting up with lightning speed, its much slower than before.
    08-11-2015 12:43 AM
    The problem was never solved by updates or by suggestions from Windows or HP support.

I went back to Windows 8.1 and that fixed the issue. So don't let anyone tell you that the problem is anything besides Windows 10.

Makes me wonder what Macintosh is up to nowadays.
    08-16-2015 10:03 AM
    Reverted to Windows 8.1.
    Problem solved. Not occurred in 5 days. Microsoft have failed to fix this simple and basic operational problem. Looking at Linux next as OS base. Microsoft have become complacent. Will not recommend to friends and family.
    08-18-2015 04:22 AM
    Microsoft are anything but complacent. Expecting them to fix an admittedly very annoying but possibly very complex bug that affects a small number of users within five days is unrealistic. I'd expect it to be gone within a month or so, though.
    08-19-2015 12:07 PM
    Running system refresh (deleting all apps, keeping only personal data) fixed this bug. So yes, it's a Windows 10 issue - and more than likely, something introduced during the updating process.
    08-28-2015 12:47 AM
    I have this problem too. ASUS Zenbook UX302LG.
    It appeared after a clean Win10 install. ("Reset this PC" in the Recovery menu in Update & Security settings)
    It worked perfectly fine when I'd just upgraded from Win8.1.
    09-01-2015 05:18 AM
    I have the same problem with my Dell Inspiron laptop. After hours of remote service from Dell, they sent me an engineer to change my motherboard (they said that probably is problem of the embedded graphic card). However, the problem is still there and I suspect that it is a driver issue in windows 10. Specifically, I suspect Intel HD Graphics Family.

The reason for that is because after days of searching online for solution, I found a command which indicates the software reason of freezing/holding the laptop before sleep or hibernate. This is the following (run this in CMD as Administrator):
    powercfg /requests

I executed this command after every freezing incident and I got the same response:
    PERFBOOST - [DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller

After that, by writing the following command I could solve the problem temporarily:
    Powercfg -requestsoverride Driver "Legacy Kernel Caller" System

Is there someone who has solved this issue? It is quite annoying to have to save the state and shutdown the laptop every time.
    10-29-2015 07:00 AM
    I have the identical problem with my alienware (dell) 17. I have 2 video drivers, my AMD radeon R9 M290X video does cause the problem. But if I switch to the onboard Intel (lower quality) driver I do not have the problem. Several people reported that reinstalling win10 without upgrading from Win 8.1 solved their problems, however, I did that as well and it made no difference. I don't know why Microsoft hasn't addressed this issue.

I have simply disabled all sleeping, hard disk turn off, etc. unless I close the cover. Then whenever I leave the computer I close the lid and it wakes up just fine.

Allanah
    10-29-2015 10:58 AM
    Lenovo Y40, the same issue after some update.

Seems like it's an issue of Radeon systems, i report AMD as well about it.

I will try to rollback AMD/Intel GP drivers to check it.
    11-30-2015 07:53 PM
    Ok, i solve this problem for my notebook, here is a list of what i do:

1. Install latest AMD driver (Catalyst 11.1 Crimson edition)
    2. Install Intel Video driver downloaded from Lenovo support site (recommended by my notebook)
    3. Uninstall all Intel software, except Video and Wifi/BT drivers (i think the key is Intel Management Engine software)
    4. In device management, make sure i have oldest Intel Management Engine driver active (10.0.30.1054) - if you have newer one, use Uninstall - Delete the driver checkbox.

Now my notebook going sleep and wake up correctly.
    12-02-2015 04:46 AM
    I have been having trouble for the past 6 weeks - since the day I downloaded and installed the Windows 10 Update.
    My HP Laptop started to slow down, started to require the power button to be used to start the computer regularly (every time it went to sleep mode) and now it won't start at all. I have tried the power button thing several times - no luck. I now get the blue screen of death with:
    Boot Device Not Found
    Please install an operating system on your hard disk
    Hard Disk (350)
    F2 System Diagnostics

For more information, please visit:.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup

I am not as adept with computers as you all appear to be.
    12-30-2015 10:56 AM
65 123