The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-08-2016 11:33 PM
65 123
tools
    I had the same issue with my HP G62, but it wouldn't sleep with the lid closed even though I had it set to do so. It would overheat and the only way to get it to boot back up was to do a battery pull. The issue had to do with the Hybrid Shutdown. If you go into your power settings (Settings->System->Power & Sleep->Additional Power Settings (scroll down for that)->Choose what the power button does->Change settings that are currently unavailable and then at the bottom, uncheck "Turn on fast startups (recommended)" This fixed it for me, and now my computer goes to sleep when the lid is shut, and wakes up when I open it without freezing.
    01-12-2016 11:43 PM
    I had the same problem when closing my laptop and on start-up. Try following these instructions to disable ULPS (Ultra-Low-Power-State I believe). It's stop your amd graphics card from going into standby which is what causes the black screen.

Can't post links apparently but do a google search form EnableULPS and check the tomshardware page that explains it.
    01-20-2016 11:03 AM
    I have similar issue - my HP Palilion freeze (instead of sleep) when power button is hit. And this one worked for me:
    support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03383935#AbT1
    Basically the solution is replacing Intel Management Engine driver version 11 with either version 9 or 10, and preventing Windows Update from updating that driver.
    02-02-2016 11:46 AM
    I had this problem on my HP Pavilion laptop a few months ago (as I mentioned earlier in the thread) and the solution back then was to do a system refresh. But recently I had a hard drive problem and replaced it with an SSD. But the problem returned - despite the clean install of W10. Turning off Fast Startup seems to have done the trick this time (and, funnily enough, startup seems to be faster - must be an SSD thing).

EDIT: Unfortunately not - it's just happened again.
    Last edited by Motel75; 02-24-2016 at 12:24 AM.
    02-23-2016 04:13 PM
    I downloaded Windows 10 yesterday evening on my new laptop, which, according to the tests I ran prior, is fully Windows 10 compatible. Nevertheless, just since downloading Windows 10, when I fold down the laptop's screen to close it, it freezes. I open it to a black frozen screen that is unresponsive whether I tap the touchscreen, keys and/or power button. Therefore, since Windows 10, I have to reboot my laptop every time I open it in order to use it, which is an inconvenience that nobody should have to suffer. The laptop never had so much as the slightest glitch before Windows 10, and I want Microsoft to fix this.

Why is Windows 10 causing my laptop to freeze upon closing? What is the fix?
    I solved the problem on my Asus by avoiding "sleep" mode and opting for "hibernate" instead. You do this by clicking the battery icon on the bottom right of the display, then selecting the 'advanced power options'. Then go through the options on the left menu, such as, "what to do when the lid closes", etc... select 'hibernate' for all options where 'sleep' is selected.

Sleep mode is the culprit and Microsoft knows this without yet issuing a fix. A consequential benefit of 'hibernating' vs. 'sleep', is that battery consumption is significantly reduced and therefore improved due from the fact that automatic updates from Microsoft cease, as they take place in 'sleep'.

Please note, the above instructions are from memory and not having a laptop in front of me.

Vansen
    Passport
    02-23-2016 06:14 PM
    Sleep, hibernate, fast startup, no fast startup ... it makes no difference. The computer goes to sleep or hibernates - but then the fan stays on, the computer keeps producing heat, the power button stays lighted, and the computer won't start up again when you press it. This happened with a clean install of the latest W10 build on a brand-new SanDisk Ultra II 960 GB SSD. It also happened with the RTM of W10 last July. Seems to me something isn't receiving the instruction to shut down, and that's causing the system to hang.
    02-27-2016 12:46 AM
    I think I have a solution!
    I had the same problem with my ASUS X550L. I was going through all the replies and comments that this post got and I found a person who wrote that someone changed his sleep settings. Well I tried it too.... and it worked!

1)Right click on the battery icon on the taskbar of windows.
    2)Click on Power Options.
    3)Click on the change plan settings of the plan that is currently active.
    4)Here you will find "Change Advanced Power Settings".
    5)Click on that.
    6)Here you will find an option that says "Change settings that are currently unavailable. Click on it.
    7)Scroll down to "Power Buttons & Lid" and expand it.
    8)Expand all sub-tabs(i.e - Lid close action, Power Button action, Sleep button action)
    9)Switch all options to sleep mode.(Ignore step 9 If all of them are already switched to Sleep)
    10)Click Apply.

This worked for me!!
    03-10-2016 11:06 AM
    But not for me, sadly.
    03-11-2016 04:06 PM
    This happened to my Thinkpad W530 for some days.

In my search, this due to the conflict between Intel integrated graphic and external nVIDIA chip.

I solved the issue by those step:

Get in the BIOS (F1 after restart)
    Go to Config section
    Select Display
    At 1st option, choose NVIDIA optimus
    At 2nd option, choose Enable
    Save and Exit..

After restart, 2 min later, computer will automatically download compatible drivers and set it up.

Done, now I can close the lid of laptop with "Do nothing" option. And it worked well plenty of time, I tested.

Hope this help

P/s,
    I also have Window 10 installed on Thinkpad X220, but it do not have this issue, possibly because of running on integrated Intel graphic only.!!!
    03-23-2016 03:09 AM
    It's a joke microsoft should be sued......... Yoga pro 3 recently upgraded to win 10 and get a screen freeze as soon as laptop moved
    04-01-2016 02:28 PM
    This fix seems to have worked for me.

Bring up device manager
    Expand System Devices
    Right click Intel Management Agent Interface and select properties
    Click the Power Management tab
    Deselect "Allow the computer to switch off this device to save power"
    Then hit ok.
    04-09-2016 01:06 PM
    Could be a combination of factors. I'e tried another clean install, and it seemed to be working well, but then the dreaded freeze reappeared after I reinstalled several common programs (Skype, Office, HP Support Assistant, etc). I've tried dhitchen99999's suggestion and it made no difference (by itself). But also turning off write caching on the SSD seems to be OK so far. I'll keep on troubleshooting and will report back.
    04-11-2016 04:16 AM
    My problem is now solved, thanks to a firmware update. But here's the thing - Neither HP's support website nor its updater software listed it as available under Windows 10. Change the OS setting on the website to Windows 8.1 and - hey presto - there it is.
    05-07-2016 06:11 AM
    My problem is now solved, thanks to a firmware update. But here's the thing - Neither HP's support website nor its updater software listed it as available under Windows 10. Change the OS setting on the website to Windows 8.1 and - hey presto - there it is.

Can you advise which update it is? There are quite a few in there, thanks.
    05-07-2016 07:23 AM
    Sure. In my case, it's an HP Pavilion 15-p009ng Notebook PC. The HP software and driver download page for this model is here: HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP Customer Support

Note that no BIOS is offered when Windows 10 is selected as OS. Change it to Windows 8.1 or 7, and two BIOS updates appear:

HP Notebook System BIOS Update F.42 Rev.A and HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors) F.07

I installed the appropriate one (in my case, the former - I was already on F.42) and the problem was fixed.
    05-08-2016 11:33 PM
65 123