W10 DELETED my Documents, Pictures....... help!

NoviMajster

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Pls help me!

As you can see from the title of my thread, i managed to update my computer form windows7 to windows10.
Peculiarly all my files that i had on the desktop, stayed intact and unchanged. But on the contrary all my files, pictures, music and so on from "my documents" was deleted.

I have made a backup and a restore disc before i updated, but i would like to retrieve my files without the whole "restoration, copy and new update" steps.... So is there any other possible way to get this done?

Thanks!

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
You can try to un-hide system files and if you can see folder called windows.old or something, that's where your old OS's document could be found.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Have you explored the other folders on your system (Check "My PC" etc in file explorer) If you had your files stored in "My Music", "My Pictures", etc. in the My Documents folder, they should now be in the Music, Pictures, etc folders.

Otherwise, do as v535 mentioned.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
They should be in your user directory as well (they are the same folders).

Easiest way in to open up "File Explorer" and click on "This PC" which is to the left. That should bring up folders for "Music", "Pictures", "Documents" etc. Have look in there....

NoviMajster

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
As i stated previously......

I checked all that, mentioned above: in windows.old --------- my documents, my pictures, etc.
And i am also not totally retarded, that is why i checked documents, music, pictures files in W10, before i composed this new thread, in search of serious help.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Well, no, you didn't "State previously". All you were clear on (in your second post) was that you looked at windows.old. And, I mistook the post by monk3ys as yours, so I made a second post...that's on me. We have no idea how knowledgeable you are unless you clearly state what you've already tried.

Anyway...

If you've tried all that, then restoring from your backup is your only option. It's strange that the files didn't carry over and they are unavailable in Windows.old, but at least you were smart and made a backup.

Good luck.

As i stated previously......

I checked all that, mentioned above: in windows.old --------- my documents, my pictures, etc.
And i am also not totally retarded, that is why i checked documents, music, pictures files in W10, before i composed this new thread, in search of serious help.

Duchovnik

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I found this thread while googling for exactly the same problem. I "lost" gigs of images, my entire "Pictures" folder had been seemingly reformatted. I freaked out of course, but just before I went to do a restore, I used cortana and searched for the name of one of my picture folders -- it turns out ALL of my images had not been deleted,

they had been moved from This PC > Pictures

to

OS (C:) > Users > [a truncated username] > Pictures

It looked like this was the only folder messed with, everything in desktop, videos, downloads was unchanged

Until I went to look for my textbooks and school stuff -- and freaked out again. My Documents folder was also screwed with. Another search for the name of a specific folder I remembered turned up my whole old documents folder

From

This PC > Documents

to

This PC > OS (C:) > Users > [truncated username] > Documents

After I looked around, it seems like what Windows did was take everything that was in those folders, move them to under OS users (did not delete them), and then replaced their contents with the corresponding folders in your OneDrive - whatever was in your OneDrive at the time of the update - because now their contents are identical

So hopefully this will help someone out in the future from having to undo the update. Good luck

MissReika

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
I found this thread while googling for exactly the same problem. I "lost" gigs of images, my entire "Pictures" folder had been seemingly reformatted. I freaked out of course, but just before I went to do a restore, I used cortana and searched for the name of one of my picture folders -- it turns out ALL of my images had not been deleted,

they had been moved from This PC > Pictures

to

OS (C:) > Users > [a truncated username] > Pictures

It looked like this was the only folder messed with, everything in desktop, videos, downloads was unchanged

Until I went to look for my textbooks and school stuff -- and freaked out again. My Documents folder was also screwed with. Another search for the name of a specific folder I remembered turned up my whole old documents folder

From

This PC > Documents

to

This PC > OS (C:) > Users > [truncated username] > Documents

After I looked around, it seems like what Windows did was take everything that was in those folders, move them to under OS users (did not delete them), and then replaced their contents with the corresponding folders in your OneDrive - whatever was in your OneDrive at the time of the update - because now their contents are identical

So hopefully this will help someone out in the future from having to undo the update. Good luck

This worked for me! Thank you so much!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99