The "How I installed it" thread for those who are NOT having significant problems with Win10

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
The "How I installed it" thread for those who are NOT having significant problems with Win10

I see quite a few people posting about problems, which seems to happen every time there is a new release. So far, however, I have really not had any issues, other than Edge being a bit twitchy (it jumps when scrolling while holding the left click on the tab on the right and it stinks on the Windows Central page with writing, etc.) and lacking an adblock. I imagine those things will be smoothed out relatively soon. So, I thought it might be helpful for those of us who things seem to be going well for to explain how we installed, we did prior, etc. in case it might be of benefit to others. Perhaps a pattern can be spotted, and it also might help those who are turned off by the problems to see that there are others who things are going well for. So, here it goes.

I installed on a laptop PC: HP Envy 17 inch, without a touch screen
I was running Win8.1 and made sure to check for and install all updates, even the optional ones, prior to downloading Win10.
I then disabled all virus protection, firewall, etc. (I use Norton 360)
After that, because I had not received notification, I logged into the Insider website and downloaded the tool.
Following this, I ran the install program after closing everything else down on my PC (I know it says that you can continue using your PC, but I closed everything anyway)
From there, the install ran smoothly, and the whole process took around 90 minutes.

Since installing, things have worked OK. It took me a bit to figure out how to add things to the start screen, but everything else (other than what I noted above with Edge) has worked so far.

I am hopeful that I am not in the minority and that things are working well for others.

Best of luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte