Why isn't Windows 10 activating after a clean install?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Windows 10 not activating after clean install

I was reading
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-pc-laptop/370015-windows-10-upgrade-installation-faq.html
and I have that error during windows activation on the settings page:
Error code: 0xC004C003

I had a working copy of windows 10 but decided to do a clean install from a iso, I didn't log into any Microsoft accounts on the old copy or the new. and I am concerned that I have lost my licence because I have not logged onto my new account with that upgrade

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 not activating due to clean install

It should work without you logging in or even using an MS account.

If you did everything as mentioned in the FAQ, and Windows isn't activating after a few days, you're best off calling MS support. Sorry.

Last edited:

Kraizel

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 not activating due to clean install

Hi there, I'm in the same situation same error code after a clean install and i had windows 10 activated previously. I always have logged with my windows account so I don't think it makes any difference.

Trkkr

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
I concur with the last guy here, even though my way was done online. To everyone reading this, even if you haven't tried any other methods of activating, if you've clean installed and it's not activating this might be the quickest way to get you going. I'd been trying for weeks to get my clean install to activate. Tried everything under the sun to no avail. Windows 8 with MS account activated with all updates, Windows 10 in-place upgrade with MS account and all updates - activated, clean install Windows 10 with MS account - error. To save yourself a ton of time and frustration follow these instructions:

1. Go to (remove the dashes) h-tt-ps-:/-/partner.support.services.microsoft.com/en-us/contact/chat/30/ (not sure if that's the totally right link but that's the last URL I was at to get my fix). You'll need to login with your Microsoft Account.
2. That will take you to an Online Chat with a 'Microsoft Answer Tech'.I did this on Saturday afternoon. I eventually got connected to 'Jagannatha V',
3. I told him I was unable to activate a Clean install of Windows 10, how I'd done it on 3 other notebook successfully so I know my process works, etc. He asked for my Windows 8 key (mine was integrated into the BIOS so I had to use a program to get it. I used Method 1 from here: h-tt-ps-:/-/itsolutionsblog.net/3-ways-to-extract-the-windows-8-product-key/)
4. After he 'validated it' he asked for PoP. I told him it was preinstalled on my notebook but I could give him PoP of the notebook. Not sure why he needed it but he asked for it and I gave him the Sales Order # of my notebook (MSI purchased through Xotic PC if anyone's interested).
5. After that he asked for, and I gave him, remote access to my notebook.
6. He connected in provided me a new Windows 10 key, put it in a Notepad document (which I later saved) and activated it. No fuss, no muss.

I lost probably 20+ hours of my life trying to get this thing to activate and it took that guy 30 minutes to get me going (maybe an hour all in with the wait time to talk to someone). I don't see any restrictions or 'catches' with this method. I gave the guy truthful answers and it didn't cost me anything other than my time. If this saves even 1 person from the hell I went through to get to this point at least it was worth it. Good Luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers