Windows 10 Won't Activate!!!

jd_tech

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Hello forums,

It's my first time here, so sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, but anyways:

I saved all my files and started the installation, after like 10 minutes it was done (my laptop does have a SSD). When I logged in, I really liked the UI:smile:, ok, enough explanation...but anyway, it says Activate Windows!!! I thought the "key" was free, right? So, why is it trying to get me to enter a product key:shocked:?! I searched the "activation problems" part of the Windows 10 website, and it said "Go to settings -> updates -> activation, then click Go to store" or something like that. I did it step by step, and the store asked me to damn buy it for $149.99 for the home version:shocked:! By the way, the website just says "You have to buy it if there isn't a valid license available on the store". Ummm...I thought it was free:angry:?

Plz help, what do I do now?

--jd_tech

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi welcome to the fourms. The free part applies only to user who haven a genuine win7 sp1 or win8.1 selected editions. To upgrade to win 10 you would have seen an icon to reserve a free copy. In case there wasn't one then chances are you system did not qualify for one.

jd_tech

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, I have genuine Windows 8 Pro (that came with my laptop) and I did get my Windows 10 upgrade from the little icon on the taskbar that keeps bugging me to upgrade. I probably qualified for one unless Microsoft had some major security problem and released the upgrade to everyone :p

edit: also, my laptop is the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro that I bought couple of months ago

Last edited:

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
That doesn't make sense. having a pro edition you should be getting a like for like upgrade. So The message shouldn't be asking you to buy a license for the home edition. Anyway the licence key that you have is for windows that came with the laptop and not the upgrade as such.
If you have a backup image of it on the hard disk which most OEM's have or a recovery disk go back to the original OS and try again.

While upgrading again. Please do take deep breaths before you hit any buttons on screen as there is some complications mentioned elsewhere in the forums. Updating to windows 10 will be simplified in the future I hope but in the mean time have a look at this thread http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...before-updating-w10-please-read-new-post.html very informative steps and might help you figure out if you need the upgrade and how to go about it.

Hope it fixes any issues that you have with the upgrade to 10 and when you get there hope you like the OS too.

Cheers
S

P.S I didn't get these complications as I went through the insiders program. If you do go thru insiders after you get the 10240 build stop getting insiders build which technically will leave you with the Win 10 which everyone has. ;) Then clean install over it shouldn't be a problem

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hello forums,

It's my first time here, so sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, but anyways:

I saved all my files and started the installation, after like 10 minutes it was done (my laptop does have a SSD). When I logged in, I really liked the UI:smile:, ok, enough explanation...but anyway, it says Activate Windows!!! I thought the "key" was free, right? So, why is it trying to get me to enter a product key:shocked:?! I searched the "activation problems" part of the Windows 10 website, and it said "Go to settings -> updates -> activation, then click Go to store" or something like that. I did it step by step, and the store asked me to damn buy it for $149.99 for the home version:shocked:! By the way, the website just says "You have to buy it if there isn't a valid license available on the store". Ummm...I thought it was free:angry:?

Plz help, what do I do now?

--jd_tech

jd_tech, What error are you receiving and how did you update?

jd_tech

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
That doesn't make sense. having a pro edition you should be getting a like for like upgrade. So The message shouldn't be asking you to buy a license for the home edition.
That's whats weird, I am on an *unlicensed* version of home edition right now, I should be on Pro!
If you have a backup image of it on the hard disk which most OEM's have or a recovery disk go back to the original OS and try again.
I will try that, maybe going back to Windows 8.1 from settings and updating.

Thanks for your reply!

Last edited:

jd_tech

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
P.S I didn't get these complications as I went through the insiders program. If you do go thru insiders after you get the 10240 build stop getting insiders build which technically will leave you with the Win 10 which everyone has. ;) Then clean install over it shouldn't be a problem
I was nervous about my data, so I installed the Insider Builds inside a VM :(

jd_tech

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I am receiving the error code: 0xC003C00
I reserved a update, and I followed the icon's instructions to update

Thanks for the reply!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member