07-12-2016 12:14 PM
397 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    I did not understand so much hate against the post and this huge need to refute it, when even the title makes obvious that it's an opinion. I happened to agree with most of your points, I prefer to explain them below. Just try to forgive some english mistakes ;)

10) I understand what you mean. This "work in progress" talk can work when it comes to new features and some redesign, but not for everything. There is no excuse to deliver a system with those non-smooth animations, a half-browser and a store full of bugs... Anyway, the fact of being "upgraded over time" should not be an excuse to deliver functions by half.

9) I also do not like the switches style, but I understand that the icons size is due to the space they need for a second line. I really liked the colorful notifications from W8, I hope they think on it when they improve notification center again. But it's not a big frustration for me since i almost don't use it - it's empty all the time.

8) I have complains about the way the tiles are organized (I personally hate vertical-scrolling, it's just horrible for a good alignment). But since i can't think on a solution, I'll pass.

7) I can't talk a lot about tablet mode, I gave up on it. We know how charms was quite good, but i have to admit i'm not missing it as much as i thought i would (the settings and share options found a good place on the new apps design, so i'm not worried). My big frustration, as I said above, is just the tablet mode vertical-scrolling: god, how i miss my fully, beautifully and correctly aligned tiles...

6) I know how there are a lot of icons that weren't updated, making some places a bit inconsistent. But i'm really liking the new ones, it's just a matter of time - at least I hope.

5) It all began with the Windows Phone transparent tiles. I hated what it all became. The background behind tiles was a cool idea, we were free to try some "patterns" and all, but the full-background + a lot of transparent tiles Microsoft brought with W10 Mobile is just ugly, i really do not understand how people were crazy with it... Please, make a start screen just with transparent tiles and put some random background, and it just feels like the white icons are screaming to be free from the now-useless squares... BUT LET'S BACK ON THE PC POINT. Maybe they could maintain this accent-color trend with general apps, but i'd still prefer the programs and apps like store, office and groove to have its original colors.

4) I wish they could just maintain those icons on the settings section of charms, it was really beautiful... But, again, it's not my frustration-priority.

3) I think a profile picture should try to show the most of you, and circular shapes just cut some space... But I understand all the repetitive talk of "circles for people, didn't you understand? it's because it's for peeeeople ok? groove, artists, people too!!".

2) Yeah, it looks lifeless, I hope they bring the old settings collor-scheme back.

1) Already talked about, I think...
    08-06-2015 09:11 PM
    I would agree with you, why has Microsoft released windows 10 when they know its not complete? everyone thinks they are getting free windows 10, they are upto a point. they are being used to iron out problems for Microsoft, when all the problems are fixed don't be surprised if Microsoft make it a subscription package, else why would the give millions of pounds away. I have been a beater tester for Microsoft for the last 15 years, since they left windows 3.1 they have never produced any software that hasent required weekly updates in one form or another. also they have given no thought to those people that are on limited, and dial up connections. they have removed all windows program's from the uninstall so you cant even uninstall updates you have to rely on system restore when it works, my personal view it that Microsoft has to much control over windows 10. i have several computers and run different operating systems, Linux is very good and stable since they put a GUI on it very few updates required, also run an apple never had to pay fora new operating system updates are very rare, after all this is where bill ate stole windows from. the only reason he ended up a millionaire was to promise that the next operating system would be the one with all the fixes. he couldn't design a mobile phone, and no other manufacture wanted his mobile windows app so he bought Nokia an used that for his own system. Microsoft is the biggest provider for operating system which makes them a potential security risk in as much that they could take over the world, this may be a bit far fetched but it would only take one bad apple to start it, whatever was thought about 30 years ago is gradually becoming a reality
    Kadcidxa likes this.
    08-07-2015 10:05 AM
    I would agree with you, why has Microsoft released windows 10 when they know its not complete? everyone thinks they are getting free windows 10, they are upto a point. they are being used to iron out problems for Microsoft, when all the problems are fixed don't be surprised if Microsoft make it a subscription package, else why would the give millions of pounds away. I have been a beater tester for Microsoft for the last 15 years, since they left windows 3.1 they have never produced any software that hasent required weekly updates in one form or another. also they have given no thought to those people that are on limited, and dial up connections. they have removed all windows program's from the uninstall so you cant even uninstall updates you have to rely on system restore when it works, my personal view it that Microsoft has to much control over windows 10. i have several computers and run different operating systems, Linux is very good and stable since they put a GUI on it very few updates required, also run an apple never had to pay fora new operating system updates are very rare, after all this is where bill ate stole windows from. the only reason he ended up a millionaire was to promise that the next operating system would be the one with all the fixes. he couldn't design a mobile phone, and no other manufacture wanted his mobile windows app so he bought Nokia an used that for his own system.
    Microsoft isn't planning a bait and switch. If you get the OS for free, you get to keep it for free. There are already set prices for those who don't get it for free. It will not be a subscription package.

I remember Windows 3.1, and believe you me, they could have used some regular updates back then, but there was no way to deliver those updates to the masses without selling new floppy disks to cover the cost. There were a lot of things that needed fixing and updating, but it waited until Windows 95.

Bill Gates didn't end up a millionaire by promising fixes in the next version of an OS. He was made a millionaire by not "selling" his first OS, but doing something that at the time was fairly new. He "licensed" his Disk Operating System (DOS) to IBM for use in their PCs to customers. They made millions long before they ever started doing updates and new OSes.

Microsoft actually designed the first smart phone. It was a pocket PC, and was rather a powerful little device that could do far more than what was capable on the later introduced iPhone. However, it was just too complicated for the average consumer, so it was pretty much a niche market. Microsoft didn't even think about targeting a phone to the masses that was as easy to use as the iPhone until much later. There were actually quite a few reputable manufacturers using that early Windows Mobile OS. I, myself, sported an HTC brand that I liked very much. I still have it.

Also, Microsoft isn't trying to make their big money on the OS this time around. They want everyone to be on that OS so they can make money from their cut in the Store for apps and also for other services that they do sell that run on top of Windows. That's where Microsoft makes the money.

Whoa! Updates for Linux not required? I got tired of downloading updates and new versions all the time. It's just easier to stick with Windows for me. At least it's better automated in Windows. True, with Linux the updates aren't "required" because you can just choose to never stay up to date and run version 6.x instead of 14.x. No one will pressure you or force you to update. I'd rather be up-to-date, personally. Especially with security updates. Windows 3.1 didn't need security updates so much because hacking wasn't the widespread problem back then that it is now, largely because the Internet didn't exist yet. Think about that. The fact that Microsoft DOES keep putting out security updates shows they care enough about your security to do it.

Microsoft is the biggest provider for operating system which makes them a potential security risk in as much that they could take over the world, this may be a bit far fetched but it would only take one bad apple to start it, whatever was thought about 30 years ago is gradually becoming a reality
    Okay... well, all I can say is... ?

I think I'll just stop responding now.
    a5cent and ajj3085 like this.
    08-07-2015 12:04 PM
    why has Microsoft released windows 10 when they know its not complete?
    This is such a silly question. Microsoft is not like Apple, with a specific, focused list of hardware they support. Microsoft is expected to code Windows in such a way that it supports every piece of hardware stuffed into any x86/x64 machine for the last god-knows-how-many years. That is... an impossible task; there's no telling how Windows 10 is going to react on all hardware combinations until it's actually put on all hardware combinations, and that can't happen until its in the hands of the users. And not just the Insiders, either. I'm talking about users users.

I think Microsoft is doing the best they can with Windows 10 with the resources they have available to them. I mean, damn, it's already installed on god-knows-how-many millions of PCs, and they've already released several updates, including a comprehensive update, with many more to come as the feedback comes rolling in.

they are being used to iron out problems for Microsoft
    Of course; unless you actually expect Microsoft to have every single hardware combination tucked away in some test lab somewhere, so that they can insure it all works before it gets distributed to users.

Linux is very good and stable since they put a GUI on it very few updates required, also run an apple never had to pay fora new operating system updates are very rare, after all this is where bill ate stole windows from. the only reason he ended up a millionaire was to promise that the next operating system would be the one with all the fixes. he couldn't design a mobile phone, and no other manufacture wanted his mobile windows app so he bought Nokia an used that for his own system.
    Oh. I get it now. You just needed a soapbox from where you scream your Microsoft distaste. May I recommend Blogger or Wordpress for next time?
    a5cent and ajj3085 like this.
    08-07-2015 12:28 PM
    To start with I applaud Microsoft for taking feedback from others to try to make Windows 10 more what everyone wants. It was a bit of a risk and for the most part I think it's a good idea. Kudos. The problem is Windows 10 is a freaking mess!!

1 - I refuse to use Edge since it doesn't support extensions yet. Sorry but that should have been ready to go at release if you want people to switch from other browsers.

2 - Internet Explorer (and File Explorer for that matter) backgrounds are all white. What the hell? There's no clear way to tell which tab is active when I have more than one tab open - they are all the same color! The only way to tell is looking for the tiny "x" on the right of the tab that closes it. But wait, there's more! That tiny "x" is light gray on a white background! Maybe Microsoft is coming out with a line of eyeglasses and they're creating future customers?

3 - The live tiles look terrible on the start menu... colors are all over the place and the ones that are supposed to update regularly just don't!

4 - Hardware incompatibilities! I spent the better part of 3 days trying to work around a wireless adapter card that, according to Microsoft's own website, is "fully compatible" with Windows 10. Yes it installs. Yes Windows recognizes it. Yes it constantly disconnects, slows bandwidth to a crawl and makes you want to rip your hair out. Touchpad on my dad's laptop wont scroll. The Windows 10 driver is installed, the option is there in the settings, but it just won't scroll.

5 - No games included other than through Xbox Live? I'm sorry but my 65 year old dad shouldn't have to jump through hoops setting up an Xbox account to play solitaire. Even worse, when I did get it set up for him to be as convenient as possible, the damn game is marred with ads! Fail Microsoft, so fail!

6 - Activation failed. Just because my girlfriend's laptop was made by Asus and came with OEM Windows 7 I can't activate? No let me rephrase that... It will activate if I do an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. The only problem is all of the BSOD critical errors that ensued afterwards! (though I'll give MS credit for the cute :( emoticon on the BSOD screen now). A clean install fixes the BSOD but means you can't activate. Tech support guy said wait 48 hours and try again. Waited 48 hours and still nothing. Called the tech guy again, he said wait 48 hours. Are you even trying to fix this, or are you just stalling? It's now a week later and I still couldn't activate.

7 - Why do we need a lock screen before a login screen? Just to show updates from Mail and News and such? Seems like that could have been incorporated into a lock/login screen combo.

8 - Notifications are annoying. I'm all for knowing what's going on but what is with the notifications bubble going white like there is a new notification, only to open it up and find it saying there's no new notifications. Was it feeling lonely and just wanted some attention?

9 - Storage keeps reporting some 500MB plus of temporary files that can be deleted. I press the delete button and it tells me to check back later because it's working on it. Apparently this was designed by the same guys working on the activation issues because I checked back 4-5 times in the last week and the files are apparently still there and pressing the delete button again just gives the same message to check back later! It doesn't even tell you where these supposed files are so you can manually delete them!

10 - For some reason my HTPC will no longer wake from S5 using a USB keyboard. It seems that Windows is turning off the USB ports when it shuts down even though I changed the power management settings on the devices to stop it screwing with the USB ports! Hmm Windows 7 didn't have this problem, so...

I've been a MS guy since MS DOS but this has seriously made me want to look into other OS. After all of these, and other minor issues decided to downgrade back to Windows 7. Maybe in a couple more years you'll get it worked out Microsoft, but not today.
    Kadcidxa and mariusmuntean like this.
    08-07-2015 12:31 PM
    I think the take-away from this is that Windows 10 is not for everyone. I'm hearing quite a few people who are very happy with Windows 7, and want a Windows 7-like experience. There is no reason those people should upgrade - they should stay with Windows 7. There are people who really enjoyed Windows 8.1 and the tablet experience it offered. Again, those people should stay with Windows 8.1.

Each OS offers a different experience, and people should choose the one they are most comfortable with. I know people who are still on Windows XP, and there is no problem with that (as long as they take certain precautions while using the Internet).

My favorite complaint I keep reading are people annoyed with Media Center no longer available on Windows 10, since their HTPC relies on it. They rail against Windows 10 and Microsoft without once thinking, "I can just stay with Windows 7 (or 8.1) on my purpose-built media PC, since it's working great for me."

If your current refrigerator is working fine for you, why go get a new one? Doesn't make sense. However, if the new refrigerator has features you really like and want - then it makes sense. Same for Windows 10. If you like the new interface, and like the Cortana integration, and Edge, then upgrade. Otherwise, stay with your current system. There's nothing wrong with that.
    08-07-2015 01:46 PM
    Please Make an Operating system like windows or something else for your own. Or order to any company to provide you the best thing that you will love to have. Tell them clearly what you want.
    08-07-2015 02:42 PM
    You can't customize the "all apps" alphabetical list of applications. I'd like to be able to delete items from that area (without uninstalling the program) and add items to that area...such as utilities or shortcuts that are not 'installed' but are simple .exe files.

I'd also like Cortana to be able to run those programs or shortcuts. For example "Hey, Cortana....Shutdown" could turn off your PC if you made an appropriate .bat file and named it Shutdown.

I'd also like Cortana to be able to bring a program to the focus. I can open a program "Hey Cortana....open Calculator" but it's hit-or-miss if the window opens on the screen or the app opens in the background, on the taskbar but not in the 'focus'. Opening it again just brings up a second instance. What good is the "Open" command if you don't get the program open in the forefront?

Brian
    Kadcidxa likes this.
    08-07-2015 03:24 PM
    first of all you need to get your facts right, Microsoft didn't sell the dos to IBM, they offered it to IBM and IBM dismissed it and programmed there own under the IBM label, bill gates bought the dos from an individual who didn't know how valuable it was, and lastly bill gates didn't invent windows at all, he was employed by apple and stole it from the, revers engineered it because apple didn't protect it by copyright so labeled his version Microsoft windows, apple were the fist to introduce apple windows, as far as Linux goes
    there are at least 60% of companies in the UK that use this as a server front end, i work in the it industry most f my commercial customers are on Linux, and not just to avoid the cost of microsofts seats, but there are not so many viruses or hackers as there are for windows, so before you go opening your mouth and putting post down maybe you should check your facts. and by the way i am a certified Microsoft engineer
    Perttu Lehtinen likes this.
    08-07-2015 03:34 PM
    I don't mind Windows 10 on my SP2....its definitely not meant for smaller screens. While it does a lot good, it looks visually unfinished and its not as pretty as say OSx (which I hate but give props for its sharp punchy details).

When I hear people talk its 50/50, half like it and half hate it. I'd say I'm in the middle.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    08-07-2015 03:35 PM
    I'd also like Cortana to be able to run those programs or shortcuts. For example "Hey, Cortana....Shutdown" could turn off your PC if you made an appropriate .bat file and named it Shutdown.
    She already does that. Say "Hey Cortana", then "Launch [program]", such as "Launch Calculator" or "Launch Word" or "Launch Excel". She cannot shutdown the PC for semi-obvious reasons. You don't want someone walking behind you and saying "Hey Cortana, shutdown". :-)
    08-07-2015 04:03 PM
    She already does that. Say "Hey Cortana", then "Launch [program]", such as "Launch Calculator" or "Launch Word" or "Launch Excel". She cannot shutdown the PC for semi-obvious reasons. You don't want someone walking behind you and saying "Hey Cortana, shutdown". :-)
    Read closer. She cannot Launch programs that are not "installed". I want to be able to launch stand-alone programs (small .exe utilities, batch files), and could if I was able to add them to the start menu and that was where she looked first. I agree that enabling "Hey Cortana....shutdown" is not a good idea from Microsoft's point of view, but if I live alone (or am the last one to bed...) and can do it from a batch file, why can't she? I could always set her to respond only to my voice.

I believe I'll be able to use a .bat to .exe converter program to do what I want to do. With that, I should be able to pin those files to the start tiles area, at least, and have Cortana launch them if I want her to. I'll start a different thread if I'm able to get her to shutdown the PC that way.
    Kadcidxa likes this.
    08-07-2015 04:13 PM
    and could if I was able to add them to the start menu and that was where she looked first
    Got it. :-)

To add something to the Start Menu - do the following:

Open This PC. In the address bar type: start menu
    Then go into Programs. Now you can create a shortcut to an EXE or BAT file and name it whatever you'd like. Now tell Cortana, "Launch [name of your new shortcut]"

BTW - this is how I get Cortana to shutdown my PC - I have a BAT file that shuts down Windows with some cleanup. I just titled the shortcut "Shutdown Windows" Cortana launches it no problem.

Edit: "Read closer." - sorry, my bad. I assumed you knew how to create a new Start Menu item/shortcut.

Edit 2: If you want to access the "All Users" Start Menu, open This PC and paste into the address bar: C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    Last edited by Dewg; 08-07-2015 at 05:07 PM.
    08-07-2015 04:38 PM
    I would agree with staying with the windows version that suits you best, unfortunately the length of time you can do this is controlled by Microsoft and other software vendors, as we have seen in the past when Microsoft introduce a new platform it isn't too long before other software vendors start developing software fr the new version only, and if that isn't enough Microsoft gradually disband previous versions,although there may well be a lengthy period before this happens eventually you will be forced to change
    08-07-2015 04:51 PM
    I would agree with staying with the windows version that suits you best, unfortunately the length of time you can do this is controlled by Microsoft and other software vendors, as we have seen in the past when Microsoft introduce a new platform it isn't too long before other software vendors start developing software fr the new version only, and if that isn't enough Microsoft gradually disband previous versions,although there may well be a lengthy period before this happens eventually you will be forced to change
    To some degree, yes. However, it's usually the reverse. Companies are slow to embrace new versions of Windows and want customers to stay on old versions - banks are the poster child for this one. Major banks still want corporate customers to use IE9, with some just now allowing IE10. I was blown away when Wells Fargo said they're planning support for Microsoft Edge late 2016 (kudos Wells!!).

And we have many years before people have to worry about Windows 7 (2020) or Windows 8 (2023). Even then, they can run their OS past EOS if they take precautions when operating on the Internet. For example, the Media Center folks with HTPCs - no reason that system can't run Windows 7 well past 2020, as the system is designed to play media content.
    08-07-2015 05:00 PM
    i don't know what soapbox you've crawled out of, if you read my post properly, if you have the intellectual ability to do so, you will read that i said that bill gates stole the original windows from apple where he was employed, this is common knowledge no where did I say it was like the apple windows. maybe you should crawl back under your soapbox and take up reading lessons before you start downing other members posts, have a nice day!!!!!!!
    08-07-2015 05:01 PM
    i don't know what soapbox you've crawled out of
    I assume you're speaking to me, since I mentioned "soapbox" and you're using that in your reply. You might want to try quoting or referencing the post to which you're replying next time you fire off a deluge of replies.

i said that bill gates stole the original windows from apple where he was employed
    Uh, no. You're wrong. Bill Gates was never employed at Apple. Apple and Microsoft were business partners, and Microsoft wrote software under contract for Apple, but Bill Gates was never an employee of Apple.

no where did I say it was like the apple windows
    First off, Apple doesn't make Windows. It makes OS X. Secondly, I didn't say you did say that.

Let me explain the parallel I was trying to make, and I'll try to make it simple for you: Apple manufactures their own machines. In doing so, they get to pick the specific hardware that they'll support. Because of that, OS X has tighter integration with the hardware on which it runs, and thus, requires significantly less testing than does Windows. It's conceivable that Apple could have each and every machine supported by an OS release in a testing facility, to insure that the OS release is solid on that machine.

As a point of contrast, Microsoft is not like that. Windows supports almost all hardware. Microsoft doesn't get to cherry-pick the hardware they'll support, because they have no control over what components HP or Toshiba or Dell or Mom-n-Pop's Computers will put in the machine. It's utterly inconceivable that Microsoft will have each and every machine with each and every combination of hardware than at OS release is expected to support. Since they can't test each and every one of those combinations, Windows is never "complete" until it's been installed on every one of those combinations, feedback has been provided, and Microsoft has had a chance to push out updates. And that can't happen until Windows has been given to the users.

Now. As far as my intellectual ability is concerned, or my ability to read a post properly, I think this is a case of you needing to practice what you preach. Have a good day, indeed.
    ajj3085 and Welbz like this.
    08-07-2015 05:26 PM
    I understand your views but my point being that Microsoft, for whatever reasons are taking over more and more control of your computer. i am not prepared to discuss reasons. my point being that the majority of systems run ms windows for me this hasn't been a problem until window 8 where you have to have a Microsoft account to be able to install it you also installs its own cloud drive, but to name a few, there is a majority of users that have the ability to disable the cloud feature for ever 1 that can there will be at least 2 that cant. I know some members might feel that I am being picky, I can see that Microsoft are doing what they think is best for all, but in doing so we are loosing that ability of choice. Microsoft have come a long way with the windows operating platform and will always be the leader. there are some that like all the bells and whistles and there are those that don't, the ones that don't do not have a way to uninstall or disable them as they have done in previous versions. through life we all buy things and there are options available but with microsoft you have no options with windows 10
    Kadcidxa likes this.
    08-07-2015 05:35 PM
    once again i never said that apple and Microsoft were the same. APPLE CALL THERE VERSION OF WINDOWS DIFFERENT AND BILL GATES STOLE THE IDEA AND A COPY OF THE SOFTWARE FROM APPLE . i have never mentioned what operating system supports what hardware nor am i interested,
    08-07-2015 05:42 PM
    thats good to hear i also run the same no bells and whistle just a reliable platform that doesn't freak out every five minutes
    08-07-2015 05:50 PM
    for me this hasn't been a problem until window 8 where you have to have a Microsoft account to be able to install it
    Actually you don't. During the install it asks you to sign in with a Microsoft Account. You can click Sign up for a Microsoft account - then at the bottom choose "Sign in with a Local Account" and just create a local account instead (like previous versions). By signing in with a Local Account, you lose all the cloud software and links.

You can then create a free Microsoft account and sign into just the Store with it - to download Apps, without signing into the whole OS.
    08-07-2015 05:57 PM
    thats good to hear i also run the same no bells and whistle just a reliable platform that doesn't freak out every five minutes
    08-07-2015 06:10 PM
    i have never mentioned what operating system supports what hardware nor am i interested,
    Dude. I don't know if you're purposely being obtuse or what, but try to follow what I'm saying: you asked why Windows 10 wasn't shipped "complete". I'm telling you that Windows can't ever be shipped "complete" because there are too many hardware variations to test and certify. There will always be bugs and things that don't work right because all of the hardware variations cannot be tested. So Microsoft ships it out as best as they can get it internally, and rely on feedback and bug reports to "finish" it.

Also, what part of "I never said that you said Apple and Microsoft were the same" did you not understand? Again... purposely obtuse? Or...?
    ajj3085 likes this.
    08-07-2015 06:49 PM
    1. OneDrive got seriously gimped for Windows 10... How on earth did Microsoft mess this up? Here is the main gripe:
    OneDrive was a thing that a person could use for cloud storage between many devices no matter the size of a person's hard drive. So... in chemistry there is a thing called a rate limiting reaction. Long story short, the reaction can only proceed by the reagent that is lowest in abundance. You can't make 100 hamburgers if you only have 50 sets of buns. You need 100. So, how does this relate?

Now, OneDrive can't sync the way it did in windows 8.1. In 8.1 it not only was a folder directory system like file explorer but it also allowed you to see all of the files plus folders and decide if you wanted to have the content actually "local" to your current device.

Typing from my Surface pro 3 I only have 128 gigs so I literally can't sync any of my OneDrive folders because it is an all or none approach. I either sync the whole folder or I don't get to even see it on my local device. And the individual control over what is synced for either files or folders is gone. It is the entire folder or nothing. That is a NO GO.

It is HORRIBLE for so many reasons. One, because I can't choose to have a folder there to view and act as a potential bucket to place something like a PSD or movie and then say, "hey I need to free up some space and make that not "available offline" to release the held space for storage.

OneDrive used to be amazing and now it is like womp womp. Microsoft please do something about this ASAP.

2. Browsers Wars continue. Edge... Edge is gorgeous and works amazing well. Guess what Microsoft. You forgot to change the ugly duckling under the hood. I am a developer and I HATE and refuse to use IE / Edge developer tools. Nothing. I mean nothing has changed here. lol how did that happend? You probably spent millions changing and developing out the Edge browser but didn't think to redo the dev tools?

As a developer I simply can't use IE dev tools... and make no mistake this is IE dev tools. I can't call them Edge because not one thing has changed regarding those dev tools.

This is a case where I would implore MSFT to just go ahead and copy Chrome's tools because they are the best. Period. If you can't beat them join them.

To finish this complaint off let me first explain an example of why I hate the dev tools so much and then explain why this actually does have an impact on browser usage.

Let me take you to the dev tools or F12 inspect element. When you get to the DOM source you have an area of the dom on the left and the class elements of the dom on the right. You can't copy and paste anything from the elements. Meaning you can't dev and then copy your class and paste it to a SASS or LESS css file. Wow, Microsoft seriously??? And yes I did create a uservoice for this as a few other people did but amazingly your UserVoices seem suspiciously curated to be frank.

Why is this bad for browser usage. Well, when you have an entire Dev community that knows about computing in general all bashing IE dev tools and IE in general it doesn't bode well for the mind set of anyone hearing the complaint. Oh what do you use? Chrome. What do a lot of people do now? Download chrome and stick with that.

Yes I am saying that you have an entire dev community that still hates IE / Edge and until you do something with the dev tools that will never change.

And let me be frank... IE / Edge dev tools aren't just behind Chrome, they are last and I mean last to even the Safari browser. Everyone has better dev tools than IE / Edge has. And until you change the dev tools to the 21st century I won't stop calling Edge ... IE. Can't put lipstick on a pig to make it look any better.

3. Tablet mode. I don't want to complain about this but I have to agree with some complaints of others. You stripped perhaps too much away from Windows 8. For one when you're in tablet you are very Forced to just be in going. I don't necessarily agree with that but there is an obvious way out by me swiping the notifications center and choosing desktop mode. Just seems like tablet mode should go back to Windows 8 mode with the full windowed Start Screen. I don't get what people had such a big deal about that for. With that being said the way it handled, Windows 8.1 i mean, the tablet start screen worked very well in my opinion.

4. Multiple desktop seems like a wonky, dare I say,reminiscent of an emotional crisis upon trying to pull up and use them in any meaningful way. It really does feel like Apple OS X has done this a little better and I wish it were easier and more intuitive to use. Perhaps this is just a complaint and I need getting used to but the reality is this should be revisited and perhaps tweaked a bit.

5. Cortana and the animation to get to her is way too dramatic. I wish it was almost embedded and placed into the start menu and not some racing animation that pulls up every time I want to use the Cortana service.

Overall Windows 10 is amazing but these are 5 areas of immediate improvements that I would like to see Microsoft address.

Your thoughts.
    08-07-2015 07:11 PM
    Didn't you already complain about these things in a number of other threads?

Typing from my Surface pro 3 I only have 128 gigs so I literally can't sync any of my OneDrive folders because it is an all or none approach. I either sync the whole folder or I don't get to even see it on my local device. And the individual control over what is synced for either files or folders is gone. It is the entire folder or nothing. That is a NO GO.
    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you here, but you can choose which individual folders are sync'ed; it is not an all of OneDrive or nothing thing. Simply right-click on the OneDrive icon in the system tray and select "Settings". Go to the "Choose Folders" tab, and click the "Choose Folders" button. A dialog box will open allowing you to configure which of your OneDrive folders are sync'ed to your PC.

You can get to the same dialog box by opening the Start Menu, selecting "All apps", and clicking on "OneDrive".

I really have a hard time commiserating with you on this one, it's an amazingly simple task to open OneDrive in your web browser of choice and see the totality of your OneDrive files there if they're not all being sync'ed to your PC. Further, Microsoft didn't arbitrarily take it away; they took it away for technical reasons, and they have stated that similar functionality will return to OneDrive. Plus, there are instructions elsewhere on this forum showing how to map OneDrive as a mapped drive letter. So... I mean... there is all that.

I am a developer and I HATE and refuse to use IE / Edge developer tools.
    This is very much a "to each their own" thing. I use the IE developer tools all the time (and yes, I am also a developer) and I refuse to use Chrome. FireFox is my primary browser, but if I need developer tools, I fire up IE. I will say that I have only given the Edge developer tools a brief glance.

Multiple desktop seems like a wonky, dare I say,reminiscent of an emotional crisis upon trying to pull up and use them in any meaningful way.
    Wow, I find the virtual desktop support in Windows 10 to be awesome. Again, probably another "to each their own" thing.

I mapped the Windows+Tab keystrokes as a macro on my Microsoft mouse's scrollwheel click, so with one click of my mouse I can see all my windows running and manage virtual desktops.

I don't use Cortana and while my laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Radius convertible, I haven't use it as a tablet enough to comment on tablet mode, other than to say that my laptop supports it.
    08-07-2015 07:31 PM
397 ... 89101112 ...