Ten disappointing things about Windows 10 :(

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Sheesh someone missed their morning coffee or has a natural flair for the dramatic....

Windows 10 works fine for me, sure a few issues but nothing that merits this kind of rather curious form of ranting.

Mike Santagata

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Let me clear things up a bit... I've been using windows 10 preview since build 9926, on my Lenovo laptop, that normally runs 8.1. Since build 9926, I haven't enjoyed windows 10. Granted I didn't blatantly HATE it like I do now. I hate it because they had tine to improve the things us insiders told them needed to be improved, and they didn't listen. I can see windows 10 making sense if it were released PRIOR to windows 8.1. I just don't understand how this operating system will be beneficial on my 12 inch Surface pro 3. On a handheld device that large, gestures work better than clicking tiny little unfinished icons.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Let me clear things up a bit... I've been using windows 10 preview since build 9926, on my Lenovo laptop, that normally runs 8.1. Since build 9926, I haven't enjoyed windows 10. Granted I didn't blatantly HATE it like I do now. I hate it because they had tine to improve the things us insiders told them needed to be improved, and they didn't listen. I can see windows 10 making sense if it were released PRIOR to windows 8.1. I just don't understand how this operating system will be beneficial on my 12 inch Surface pro 3. On a handheld device that large, gestures work better than clicking tiny little unfinished icons.

While I like W10 I will admit that I too am disappointed in the gestures. The gestures, particularly, on the right of the screen were brilliant.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Yep I've been an insider since day one of TP and they literally ignored us about Tablet mode. ALOT of us complained and made tons of threads on the insider forums, did alot in the feedback app and even made threads on user voice etc. They had more than enough feedback from us to fix the major Tablet issues during TP.

Their is ZERO excuse why these items could not have been fixed in TP

1. Taskbar hide or make it swipeable like charms were in Tablet mode only

2. Full screen Web browsing similar to Metro IE

3. Option to enable Swipe through open apps instead of taskview in tablet mode

These 3 things were brought up a TON during the entire TP and yet MS ignored it. These 3 things could be options users could enable for Tablet Mode. They can leave them off by default is MS wants to but at least give us the option to enable this behavior.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
That's why I love the Windows Feedback app. If I find something I don't like, or think can be improved, I go give my feedback or upvote someone else who's got the same idea. We can make a difference. :)

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Why did they have to nuke all the good things Win 8.1 did well for touch devices just to appease desktop users? Their is now a separate Desktop AND Tablet mode. Making Tablet mode function like Win 8.1 on tablets would have ZERO effect on desktop users. It's like MS screwed up Tablet mode out of spite or something.

True. They could gave kept things like gestures on the tablet mode side but then it would still feel like two separate operating systems and not one fluid system.

Look...we cant have our cake and eat it too. We cant complain about MS not having enough market share and then complain that W10 needs to be more than like 8.1, which nobody other than us liked and is the reason they have low market share. So they have to make a more seamless experience and one that moves away 8.1 in some ways. For every person MS loses bcuz they don't like w10 (because they favor 8.1) they'll gain 3 times as much because W10 much more resembles 7. That's what their thinking. 😔

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
That's why I love the Windows Feedback app. If I find something I don't like, or think can be improved, I go give my feedback or upvote someone else who's got the same idea. We can make a difference. :)

Yea problem is those of us that were Tablet users in the TP used every method possible to provide feedback on what was wrong with Win 10 in Tablet mode. And Ms promptly ignored nearly everything suggested.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
True. They could gave kept things like gestures on the tablet mode side but then it would still feel like two separate operating systems and not one fluid system.

Look...we cant have our cake and eat it too. We cant complain about MS not having enough market share and then complain that W10 needs to be more than like 8.1, which nobody other than us liked and is the reason they have low market share. So they have to make a more seamless experience and one that moves away 8.1 in some ways. For every person MS loses bcuz they don't like w10 (because they favor 8.1) they'll gain 3 times as much because W10 much more resembles 7. That's what their thinking. ��

Sorry but your wrong we can easil;y have our cake and eat it to. MS certainly could have thrown some of these requests as non default user configurable options in Tablet mode without breaking anything or disrupting the ONE OS Idea.

Having the Taskbar swipe on/off like charms acted, allowing a full screen more touch enabled mode to MS Edge and allowing swiping through open apps would in no way mess up continuum or it's design goals. These are simply a hand full of very logical options that could be enabled for Tablet mode users if they wanted to use them. Just a couple of on/off toggles in the Tablet mode area of settings could be provided to correct most of the Tablet Mode issues.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I agree with this, I mean who would design a system of providing information where the background is white and all the information is displayed in black. You just never see that in the real world, it's almost like the graphic designers were so lazy they spent their whole work days reading books.

Sarcasm noted, but black backgrounds save a significant amount of power if you are using a battery-powered device with an OLED screen.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
10) I'm busy clicking the tiles to launch them instead of waiting for them to update.
9) I love the Action Centre, especially on the Pro 3. Breath of fresh air to have settings in one place.
8) I have my shortcuts, the main ones, on the task bar. All others are nicely arranged. No issues. I just click.
7) I can ignore tablet mode as the standard mode, with expanded start menu, fits perfectly well on a Pro 3.
6) Now you're just trying to find things to complain about. Do you get out much? :)
5) Colour does not annoy me as all I do is click to launch
4) They all seemed to respond perfectly fine on my 3 machines? Then again they run well.
3) Doesn't bother me? I'm busy USING the OS.
2) Now... you do have a point here.
1) I have zero issues with the Surface Pro 3. Menus are large enough to click etc.

You see... I just want to USE the OS. I have little time to mess or notice small things. I'm glad that you've noticed as you can highligh your issues with MS. While you're doing that people like myself are simply carrying on working as usual.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I only agree about two things here:
Tablet Mode is severely unfinished, and;
There are plenty of UI inconsistencies.
However, UI inconsistencies do not affect the integrity nor the performance of the operating system, and--however annoying they may be--will be fixed with time. Besides, the majority of people probably won't notice them anyways until they change to a more consistent design, then they'll be pleasantly surprised. It's human nature to overlook the unimportant things. The things that you claimed were "unfinished" were mostly UI preferences rather than design flaws. That time not so long ago when the Windows Phone Start Screen was just a lot of differently hued Tiles, plenty of people complained about it. People still complain that Microsoft applications such as OneNote don't follow their accent color. I, personally, like the circle profile pictures and understand their purpose, even if you don't. There isn't just the United States and Europe. Windows 10 is for the entire world, and circles for people is less offensive and more culturally accepted in several rather large parts of the world.
I agree that Tablet Mode is unfinished, and I desperately hope that Microsoft will fix it with Threshold 2 this fall. Over all, though, that is the only thing I completely agree with you on.

You act like Windows 10 was supposed to be the only operating system to ever be released already finished and perfect. It has never happened, and never will. Over all, Windows 10 is polished, efficient, and fully operational. Compared to some of the other atrocious OS releases (Vista, anyone?) Windows 10 is as smooth as butter. Now please, stop expecting any operating system to be 100% perfect, and start compromising. You have to meet it somewhere. Either use Windows 10 or don't. Microsoft can't please everyone.

Mike Santagata

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I completely understand that no operating system is flawless, especially right off the bat. However. Microsoft had the insider program this time. That being said, there should be less issues than there are. Most issues in seeing are navigational and performance issues based on poor design of the overall operating system. I just don't get why we can't chose to run windows 10 as desktop only, or touch only (touch as in 8.1). I get I am being over critical, but there are plenty of things here that don't make sense. Those pill toggle switches? White systems screens? Tablet mode fiasco? All im saying, is, I have seen a lot of people complaining about the same things I listed. Sure not everything listed those things together like I did... But I have seen multiple users complain about each and every point I did. Whether separate, or combined. I just want Microsoft to listen. Windows 10 has potential. It really does. On a desktop, or standard laptop its fine.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I completely understand that no operating system is flawless, especially right off the bat. However. Microsoft had the insider program this time. That being said, there should be less issues than there are. Most issues in seeing are navigational and performance issues based on poor design of the overall operating system. I just don't get why we can't chose to run windows 10 as desktop only, or touch only (touch as in 8.1). I get I am being over critical, but there are plenty of things here that don't make sense. Those pill toggle switches? White systems screens? Tablet mode fiasco? All im saying, is, I have seen a lot of people complaining about the same things I listed. Sure not everything listed those things together like I did... But I have seen multiple users complain about each and every point I did. Whether separate, or combined. I just want Microsoft to listen. Windows 10 has potential. It really does. On a desktop, or standard laptop its fine.

The desktop majority is who they went after first, and the tablet and phone folks will be next.

Small annoyances that everyone is complaining about don't seem to get corrected until they put out enough fires unless the tech sites start hammering them all the time.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Glen Dickinson

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
The only thing I don't like (because I love most of windows 10) is a lack of file explorer view for OneDrive without making them available offline. I don't want my OneDrive on my pc, I want to see it like all other folders. It was flawless before.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Some people seem to forget that an OS is designed to be customizable. But they expect the OS to behave the ways they want without any attempt of changing settings and adapting to some the new UI.

Chad Wichterman

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I don't like the way my softwares open up. They are bigger and the words and the art of them is off. Blurry and in less of a resolution like video quality are. The original menu is too bright and washed out, hard to see the words. I am not crazy about how the functions of the old charm bar is placed now. I can't go to the side of the screen to bring it up. I have to search for the power and lock buttons. The top of the tabs are white and when you try to make them darker by color or design...half of the X, dash and other function keys in the top right hand corner are cut off in half of it's color and look. The folders are a little too bright in color. Two folders keep coming back and i try to delete them and they keep popping up...delete them...pop back up again (a loosing battle here). I am talking (for a short example, there may be other folders that are magically there that i didn't make) about the Saved Pictures and Camera Roll. Also the quick access is annoying at times.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12