Ten disappointing things about Windows 10 :(

HOTDAWG

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I get two column of start screen on my SP2, but I can actually get 4 on my desktop. May depend on your screen size.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Honestly, I don't find any issues with tablet mode. The one thing that really bugged me about the upgrade were the changes to OneNote. All of my other habits have not really changed at all.

As far as desktop mode, no complaints there. Everything works as it should. Task view and virtual desktops are great. Cortana is ok and will just get better in time.

Come October threshold 2 will be out and a lot of the changes will be made. The update schedule is so fast I wouldn't worry about things too much.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
App developers can set a color to this, whoever didn't set it in their app will be turned into the default theme color :).

As a developer, I know why most developers don't set a color for their app tile. If they set a color, the app no longer has transparent tile on Windows Mobile. Because the app is now universal, they can only choose one option for all platforms. This kinda sucks because there is no start menu background on Windows for Desktop and Tablet.

Shervrar

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I haven't kept up with any Microsoft related news recently. I found this thread simply because I was searching for any thread mentioning the keylogger or other privacy issues. I think people either don't realize or care...

The problem isn't just "what if a hacker got access to it", I don't see why I should have ANYONE should have access to it. I strongly recommend that everyone actually reads the license agreements and does some research about what Win10 actually does.
Furthermore, I don't think Windows 10 is that much of an improvement usability wise. Admittedly, I haven't actually tried newly released version, but I tried the Insider preview for a while. Windows 8 and upwards were supposed to be touch friendly, but somehow all metro modern applications (including Windows 10's notification bar) crash when actually used with a touchscreen (although that might be due to crappy drivers). Also, the last time I checked (both on the insider preview for PC as for Phones), instead of porting the nice WP8 Cortana app, they made some buggy low quality webapp (?).

It's not all bad though, I do like that they finally added workspaces and I also like the new dark UI and start menu design.
I guess I'll see what Cortana is like once they release it for Android.

cpmcgrath

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Overall I really like Windows 10 but I have a few annoyances.
The biggest is I don't think Lenovo has updated everything for Windows 10 yet (I have a Yoga Pro 2)

• When I close my lid, then reopen it, in that time it's managed to lower the resolution and raise it again, so a heap of Windows have been resized.
  • When I open the lid, resume does seem to take longer
  • Continuum seems very unresponsive - I flip into a different mode and it will take at least 20 seconds for the dialog to pop up
Little things like this make a huge difference to the experience. The Yoga Pro 2 was just so smooth on Win8.1.

and there's Minor things
  • You can't (easily) change the background of the logon screen - And the Hero background is just horrible. It just clashes with rest of the operating system and feels far too serious and in your face - Would have matched Vista's tone not Windows 10.
  • The Round avatars - It does clash with the feel of Windows, it looked terrible on Windows Phone, and they won't change it on Phone unless they change it here.
  • Skype's "Quit Skype" in the right click menu no longer quits skype.

On a positive note: The apps feel so much nicer. In Windows 8, so many apps felt like they sucked at doing basic things like
- opening
- reliably being able to connect to the internet.

P.S. I have gone to the Lenovo website and installed all the latest Win10 drivers - Which is an awful experience in itself.

Caleb Tivendale

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
The only thing I don't like (because I love most of windows 10) is a lack of file explorer view for OneDrive without making them available offline. I don't want my OneDrive on my pc, I want to see it like all other folders. It was flawless before.
This is probably the only thing I would like to see fixed, being able to see online files without having to download them to my tablet. I guess in the long run though it is not much difference because you still had to download them to view them anyway.

cpmcgrath

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
As a developer, I know why most developers don't set a color for their app tile. If they set a color, the app no longer has transparent tile on Windows Mobile. Because the app is now universal, they can only choose one option for all platforms. This kinda sucks because there is no start menu background on Windows for Desktop and Tablet.
It's not that hard to work around though. In the same way that you could make your app have an option for transparent tile you can detect what version of windows it's running for and change the image accordingly.

Personally, I find it funny that so many developers want to use a transparent tile - don't get me wrong I love transparent tiles, but the easiest way to make your app stand out on the start screen is to give it a background.

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I've been using MS tablets since the XP based TabletPC. With Win10 I felt like 50% of the great things that Win8(1) did for tablet usage got rolled back for no reason.

1. Just try opening a file from an app, you get the desktop file browsing dialog instead of the great tile based on in Win 8.
2. The swipe gestures feel wrong. No more smooth flowing app switching going from the left. No more bottom up swipe. Edge doesn't allow swipe back/fwds.
3. Portrait to landscape rotation doesn't always work.
4. Sigh. Unnecessary omni-present task bar. At least make the icons touch friendly size if you're not going to remove them outright.
5. Hardware heat issues / mystery processes. I'm running JUST the Windows Central app and suddenly the fan on my SP2 starts whirring and the thing heats up like a toaster. I look at the stats and see 40% CPU utilization by "system". I restart. Things get better....but for how long....

I agree with the poster that says W10 turns your Win tablet into a laptop from a usability perspective. I'm going to roll back to 8.1 until I hear better things on these issues. It was great to hear that a lot of Insiders reported issues and let's hope MS starts to listen. Maybe I can tolerate W10 on my desktop where I'm plugged into a wall and don't have a touch screen.

On a final note, I think if you're posting in this forum you're generally a Win fan, but that doesn't mean we should attack others for criticizing MS. All these little things add up. You build a premium experience or product by getting lots of little things right - not just meeting the basics of "Yep it starts up and I can run apps in windows. Looks good to me." Win10 is supposed to be The Last Windows. It's claim is to be the One OS for All Form Factors. That's a high bar. Maybe impossibly high. I'd rather see Windows throw in the towel on apps and tablet and focus on desktop if this is where the train stops. It's just frustrating because Win 8.1 got so many things right for touch based computing. It seemed so close and now we've clearly fallen backwards.

urbanriot

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
10) it simply feels unfinished...

I think almost all your points can be summarized with this, it feels like someone had this funny idea on how to 'improve' Windows 7 and came up with this steaming pile and gave up.

Using it literally annoys me, everything from the clunky start menu to the unfinished looking icons. I've been using it for days now and I'm still annoyed within minutes of just seeing it. I'm not sure if this annoyance is due to how bad the OS is or the overwhelming disappointment, or both. It just doesn't have the flow that Windows 95 to Windows 7 had. I'd happily use Windows Me and Windows Vista over this.

I feel so much less efficient using Windows 10 aka Windows 8.1 aka Windows 8... no wonder it's a free upgrade.

Funny, typing "I hate Windows 10" in Google brought me here...

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
What a load of crap. Never saw such a bunch of BS. Sure, there's still work to do, but it's far better than this stupid article describes. Sounds so much like a Mac ******.

Glen Dickinson

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
This is probably the only thing I would like to see fixed, being able to see online files without having to download them to my tablet. I guess in the long run though it is not much difference because you still had to download them to view them anyway.
Thanks for agreeing - but at least with a file explorer view you could manage OneDrive just like any other file folder setup. I miss this option to view from w8.1 desktop.

Mike Santagata

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
What a load of crap. Never saw such a bunch of BS. Sure, there's still work to do, but it's far better than this stupid article describes. Sounds so much like a Mac ******.

Like a mac ******?
Really? All I've ever used was windows. Never owned an apple product. Ever. Started windows phone with 810, then 925, now M8 for windows. Attended windows 8 launch, bought surface RT, bought SP3 6 months ago. I must be a real mac fan boy. Simply because I dislike windows 10.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 109751
I have 3 rows. What resolution are you using? I agree with your list for the most part.

I just realized I can have 5 rows in non-fullscreen mode, but only 3 in fullscreen, I algo had 5 and a half in 8.1, what a mess

btw i'm impressed OP certainly made bold criticism, but I find it interesting there's no mention of how updates are now ****ed up, which is by far the worst thing in w10 for me, 2nd would be that onedrive sync or don't use it at all scheme, which is, again, a step backwards

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
The only thing I dislike about 10 is the way they deliver the update.

My device

Aspire 5755G (i7 2670QM, 8GB Ram and GT 540 Windows 10 Home) the only problem is some modern apps run on NVIDIA GPU and need to manually reconfigured on NVIDIA control panel.

My Desktop (Core 2 Quad Q9400, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 440 DDR5 Windows 10 Pro) Cortana won't listent on Hey Cortana but respond on manual trigger.

My Desktop (i7 2700k,16GB Ram, NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti) no issues yet

Saldatoccio

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Too many paranoids in this world...:shocked:

Please rollback to Windows 3.11 and stop complaining about everything YOU don't like, Windows 10 was built also thanks to the Windows Insiders program and I confirm that Microsoft transformed most of the users' feedback into improvements to the OS.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
More stupid things with this crappy OS.

Thought my strange problems and the so painfully bad tablet experience on my Surfaces could have to do with the fact that I've been testing the inside builds from early 2015 and forward.

So, I let W10 wipe my Surface Pro1 completely (the full refresh option). The installer copies files and reboots.... To a "no valid boot disk"...
I reboot but the same, W10 refuses to boot as it can not read the boot partition...??

I therefore download the disc creation tool and install fresh from there. But, now I can not activate as it says key is invalid (the key is in the bios of my Surface and has been good for W8 Pro, W8.1 Pro, AND through the insider testing and as well OK for the final release. The guidance I get is to purchase a new key from Microsoft Store... AND Store knows it is a MICROSOFT Surface Pro...

Now downloading the Surface 8.1 image and I will not get back to W10 (with a tablet experience worse than an old iPad1 so hopefully no big loss except frustration and time)

PratikMade

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Simple don't like this feature and that roll back to your previous most suitable version of windows which you like. It's difficult to custom tailor each and everybody's needs. First we have people complaining about how 8 is not optimized for pc users, now we have how 10 is a little off on tablet users. There will always be a line of difference. Like it own it, don't like it move on!

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Honestly, I don't find any issues with tablet mode.
Don't you miss full screen surfing, forward/backward swipes, swipes to get to the start screen/button (that is 100% hidden til you need it), a on screen keyboard that WORKS and understand when it should pop up or not, the one hand fast task switching, the charm bars where you could share a webpage instantly etc etc?

And for the fast development, let us see first... I think we have heard all through the testing period "no worries this is just a beta, things will be better"... If people are happy with the tabletmode of W10 I think they have very low expectations.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Simple don't like this feature and that roll back to your previous most suitable version of windows which you like. It's difficult to custom tailor each and everybody's needs. First we have people complaining about how 8 is not optimized for pc users, now we have how 10 is a little off on tablet users. There will always be a line of difference. Like it own it, don't like it move on!

Well IF MS really aim to make W10 for everything as they say it has to be good and not just "almost working"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo