Ten disappointing things about Windows 10 :(

noobchief

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Exactly. Any problems I had with friends were a quick online search to fix. With a bazillion different hardware setups you are going to run into issues at times. I always find it a miracle Windows runs as well as it does. It's not like Apple that controls all their hardware and software, and they still release buggy software.

Tbh, after installing windows 10, I don't have any problems at all. So that's why I don't understand any of the problems the previous posts mentioned. My com is SP3 and tablet mode is working well for me too

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Not fair
Macbook designed to run Only by apple only computer while windows designed to run to extremly wide hardware variation.

Except many of these things have nothing to do with hardware variation and are pure user experience issues. What's wrong with allowing me the ability to easily finely control my screen brightness like they already had in Win 8.1 (not having to go into the all settings app to do so)? Why do I need the task bar in the tablet mode? These are decisions that are made that have nothing to do with hardware. When you promise to deliver a feature like Continuum you can only judge it based on wide hardware variation.

And since when does anything in the competitive market have to be "fair" (1990s IE pre-installs notwithstanding)? Customers buying these things only consider if what they're going to pay $500+ will be shopping for the best value and their needs. These petty platform wars mean nothing to them.

I've used Win 3.11, Win 95, Win 98, Win XP, Win Vista, Win 7, Win 8.1. Win 10 is by far the most "beta" out of the box experience - which from what I gather here was sadly the plan all along.

F27

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I hate it because in tablet mode on a small screen it's unusable and they need to make it more like the existing Modern UI. I downgraded to 8.1 straight away. There is a 120+ page complaints thread on MS's answer site about it. No wonder the majority like it because they are using a PC or Laptop. MS should have left the touch side of things alone.

Other things I hate about it is that it looks more like a website than an OS, part of their drive to make Windows a 'service'. No wonder its free, it reminds me of a spammy, cluttered, forced options, data mining website... it's like they turned Facebook into an OS! Plus it really has been delivered in a unfinished state, it's so full of bugs it's more like a Build than a release.

VARUNGUPTA16061992

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I hate it because in tablet mode on a small screen it's unusable and they need to make it more like the existing Modern UI. I downgraded to 8.1 straight away. There is a 120+ page complaints thread on MS's answer site about it. No wonder the majority like it because they are using a PC or Laptop. MS should have left the touch side of things alone.

Other things I hate about it is that it looks more like a website than an OS, part of their drive to make Windows a 'service'. No wonder its free, it reminds me of a spammy, cluttered, forced options, data mining website... it's like they turned Facebook into an OS! Plus it really has been delivered in a unfinished state, it's so full of bugs it's more like a Build than a release.

I know... windows 8 was lot finished when in consumer preview.
Windows 10 although still needs refinement.

And now changes... We liked Win8, majority dint... Now it's reverse... And as we say since child hood majority wins..

We cannot be like Apple.. They have very loyal fan base and it's in huge number.. So they can force things.. (e.g iTunes it's worse than ever).

V have to live these changes.. May b after we get subsequent ppl onboard (tablet users in particular) we'll see

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Except many of these things have nothing to do with hardware variation and are pure user experience issues. What's wrong with allowing me the ability to easily finely control my screen brightness like they already had in Win 8.1 (not having to go into the all settings app to do so)? Why do I need the task bar in the tablet mode? These are decisions that are made that have nothing to do with hardware. When you promise to deliver a feature like Continuum you can only judge it based on wide hardware variation.

And since when does anything in the competitive market have to be "fair" (1990s IE pre-installs notwithstanding)? Customers buying these things only consider if what they're going to pay $500+ will be shopping for the best value and their needs. These petty platform wars mean nothing to them.

I've used Win 3.11, Win 95, Win 98, Win XP, Win Vista, Win 7, Win 8.1. Win 10 is by far the most "beta" out of the box experience - which from what I gather here was sadly the plan all along.
What is your device?
Some device has brightness control in hardware. If you using surface why don't use tablet mode?
Now you ask why need taskbar in tablet mode? Which you can always hide it.

No fair in competitive market?
What we're talking here is the way windows are designed to meet any hardware configuration and how people one sidedly compare how much bug it has. Not about the user experience.

F27

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I know... windows 8 was lot finished when in consumer preview.
Windows 10 although still needs refinement.
And now changes... We liked Win8, majority dint... Now it's reverse... And as we say since child hood majority wins..
We cannot be like Apple.. They have very loyal fan base and it's in huge number.. So they can force things.. (e.g iTunes it's worse than ever).
V have to live these changes.. May b after we get subsequent ppl onboard (tablet users in particular) we'll see

That's the problem, Apple's fanbase is very submissive and for the most part they accept whatever Apple do. With MS they listen but it takes people screaming at them for years for bring back the Start Menu then they go an annoy everyone else by destroying the Start Menu and Modern UI. Bottom line was there was nothing wrong with the Modern UI. They should have left it exactly as it was and brought in the W10 features to make everyone else happy.

I also worry that MS will turn a blind eye to the complaints of the Windows tablets users, which lets face it, are a tiny minority and just relish the praise they are getting from everyone else who never used it on a tablet.

Lester Muster

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
"Lets all be honest... "

#1 don't put words in our mouths or assume agency over our opinions in order to falsely prop up yours as the ultimate truth.

Its is a debate trick of a weak position holder.

But we all know that weekend times are when tech blogs bring out their flame-bait, so I guess you got the rod for this week.

VARUNGUPTA16061992

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I think ppl accept .. Coz they r tied up to ecosystem .. (this is something what Ms figured out Lately)
Like people with iDevices.. Mostly have apple products at home .. I know many of them.. Similarly with googlr.. Everyone is so much tied up with gmail and googlr services... They find android attractive. this is another reason for android sucess as they get Google out of box.
MS is trying same by getting apps there..
So changes are accepted, no matter how good or bad they r.

Why W8 couldnt take of coz ppl dint liked tiles... Some even r gonna avoid 10 as it stills exists.. They didn't want to understand or learn same.

So MS had to make these changes!

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Last versions of OSX seems to have had far less bugs than W10?
I don't use OSX a lot but I do occationally dual boot on my Macbook and every version seems to be just perfectly polished.

Just comparing the startscreen of my Surface Pro2 (the one that is still activated...) makes me blush compared to OSX.

Are we talking about the latest stable version that lags on the rMBP and occasionally drops WiFi for no reason for some people? The one where the built in PDF viewer is a cause for concern for some? Slow startup and shutdown complaints. There is a 50-something page thread just for Yosemite bugs. I don't know which Mac you have, but it really must not have a Retina display.

Highdefjunkie

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

I honestly think it's pretty damn polished compared to XP, Vista, and 7 out of the box.

Highdefjunkie

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Last versions of OSX seems to have had far less bugs than W10?
I don't use OSX a lot but I do occationally dual boot on my Macbook and every version seems to be just perfectly polished.

Just comparing the startscreen of my Surface Pro2 (the one that is still activated...) makes me blush compared to OSX.
Far less bugs? Don't tell that to my Apple buds. It's far, far from perfectly polished.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Are we talking about the latest stable version that lags on the rMBP and occasionally drops WiFi for no reason for some people? The one where the built in PDF viewer is a cause for concern for some? Slow startup and shutdown complaints. There is a 50-something page thread just for Yosemite bugs. I don't know which Mac you have, but it really must not have a Retina display.

Yes, I am on Yosemite. I have a Macbook pro from 2013 (with "retina") and it runs just butter smooth with no issues at all (but I use windows VSTs for my Cubase so I normally Bootcamp Windows 8.1 on it). I cant in fact remember a single software related problem with that computer (?!).

As I've never experienced any problems with that computer I've never checked any support pages for Apple but had to do it now (to check if there was any outrage).
When checking I found out that the next version of OSX seems to get a window management that looks very much like the one in W8 (for apps) :)
So, soon W8 with apps is an "Apple invention". Madre dios!

Memristor

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just expand the menu with the mouse and this will give you more space for a third or fourth column. Drag an existing tile from the first or second column into the empty space and voila there is a new column.

vrans99

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I was going to give a detailed answer until I read Caleb Tivendale's answer.
I believe that some of the 10 points are redundant and with no sense. I actually went point by point saying: "Really?" and went to try them, then I realized that Mike Santagata were using Windows 10 with prejudges and for a little time (if not zero). Most of his points don't make a sense and Caleb answer them very well (I was going to add some points too, but I think it is not necessary).
Mike Santagata reminds me a friend while at college at early 90s (computer science). That was the time when Windows 3 and 3.1 were released. My friend told me: "I will never use a system that I need a mouse to use it." I would like to see him now and asking how was his career without using a mouse. That was just whining or resisting to a change.
This also reminds me the "Mojave Experiment", about Windows Vista on 2008. Many people are motivated for what others are saying without really trying enough. Those people are just blind followers. And Apple and Google are very good on that.
I would like to suggest to Mike that try opening an Metro/Universal app on Windows 10 (at least three times), then go to his Windows 8.1 device and try the same. I know that he will say: "What is going on? Microsoft screwed Windows 8.1 now. It doesn't work like Windows 10!" Silly, huh! But that is our mentality, only to complain about anything.
I was fixing few computers with Windows 8 and Windows 7 in the last couple of weeks, and I said: "Wow, I am really missing some Windows 10 features on those computers". I know that the same thing Mike will feel in few weeks.
So, I would change the concept in this blog:
"The real 10 reasons why I hate Windows 10 are:
1-3) Prejudged analysis without really trying something enough X 3.
4-6) Comments based on others opinions (mainly competitors) X 3.
7-9) Hater / Whinier by nature X 3.
10) Design / Looks of the new Windows 10."

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Just expand the menu with the mouse and this will give you more space for a third or fourth column. Drag an existing tile from the first or second column into the empty space and voila there is a new column.

Not in tablet mode... You have to scale down the DPI setting

Mike Santagata

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I was going to give a detailed answer until I read Caleb Tivendale's answer.
I believe that some of the 10 points are redundant and with no sense. I actually went point by point saying: "Really?" and went to try them, then I realized that Mike Santagata were using Windows 10 with prejudges and for a little time (if not zero). Most of his points don't make a sense and Caleb answer them very well (I was going to add some points too, but I think it is not necessary).
Mike Santagata reminds me a friend while at college at early 90s (computer science). That was the time when Windows 3 and 3.1 were released. My friend told me: "I will never use a system that I need a mouse to use it." I would like to see him now and asking how was his career without using a mouse. That was just whining or resisting to a change.
This also reminds me the "Mojave Experiment", about Windows Vista on 2008. Many people are motivated for what others are saying without really trying enough. Those people are just blind followers. And Apple and Google are very good on that.
I would like to suggest to Mike that try opening an Metro/Universal app on Windows 10 (at least three times), then go to his Windows 8.1 device and try the same. I know that he will say: "What is going on? Microsoft screwed Windows 8.1 now."

Lets think for a second.. I've used windows 10 since the first build of technical preview. Im disappointed with it simply because relatively nothing changed since build 10149, and a majority of things don't work properly on touch interface devices. People who had trouble learning windows 8, are gonna have even more with windows 10. Im not bashing the company, and perhaps im a little nitpicky, but its because I expect more from Microsoft. 8.1 was flawless. It was smooth, fast, polished, fluid. I am not seeing why it was necessary to take 1 step forward, and several steps backward with windows 10. That's all. Some may disagree that's fine. I expect that. But several others agree with a majority of my points, so therefore, you know its not just me.

Spicymikey

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Your list is encouraging. Almost everything is minor stuff and, most of that, is easily addressed by configurations you don't seem to be aware of yet.

I was personally very worried how this was going to go. After the better part of a week, and reading all the informed and influential reviews on the web, I'm relieved. It seems to be going well and is being received well.

As a MSFT developer who has his wagon hitched to this horse, I am relieved! Now in the next two months I'm certain it will be refined and "finished" in time for Continuum and the Windows Phone release. That second part is critical. It's the other side of the coin that must work otherwise MSFT will be in longterm trouble and possible further decline.

Congrats to MSFT for pulling off something complex with few hitches.

levy shikukui

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Let's get things right,I have been in developer preview program,this is good Os so far ,any remaining small issues let we users be the one to give feed backs for improvement,no software is 1 final,that's why we have,1.0 henceforward,even Xp being one of the best windows had loopholes on lunch and it grew gradually ,updates will come fixing things slowly,bare in mind it takes dedication and sleepless night to make a software or OS,on my opinion Microsoft has done there best making windows 10 flexible and more secure.

Jozef jurcisin

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Groove Music App on Windows 10
I don't see a way to view our music by genre! Do I missing something? How come something like this was not even implanted on first place?

I installed back my old dinosaur ZUNE! ZUNE is still the best!

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Lets all be honest... Windows 10 is a train wreck, and wasn't ready to be released. Here's my ten reasons why I hate windows 10

10) it simply feels unfinished... Half the live tiles don't display correctly, the new live tile animations look cheap and outdated, and most things dont work properly, and the live tiles just look incomplete because they're all the same color.

9) Notification Center- it looks so sloppy. Those toggle switches at the bottom look unfinished, and disorganized. The icons inside the toggle switches are too small,giving the overall interface an unfinished look.

8) Start Menu- Where to begin... The start menu is worse than ever. Its inconsistent.. Some people report being able to have three groups of live tiles horizontally, most are reporting only two, even when in full screen mode. No shortcut to the desktop either, which makes tablet mode difficult to navigate.

7) Tablet mode- a good idea with terrible execution. Tablet mode was designed to make the operating system easy to use on touch screen devices. While it helps, its extremely frustrating and seemingly incomplete. Windows that open, such as edge browser dont have minimize or maximize options, and hardly ever display tue close window option. I get this is where task view comes in, but its unnecessary to make things that complicated. Solution? Allow tablet mode to function EXACTLY like the start screen in 8.1... Enables charms bar, swipe up to see all apps, start menu scrolls horizontally.

6) Desktop mode....why is this even a thing? Creating a shortcut for an app or program to the desktop is extremely difficult, and once done, the icons looks ridiculous, and again, unfinished.

5) Live Tiles- why on gods green earth are these all the same color except a few Microsoft programs? Even office apps are all displaying under my accent color. My start menu looks boring, and with a dark accent color, it makes the apps look like they're broken, especially with gray or black accent color.

4) toggle switches- everything in windows 10 is square....except these pill shaped toggle switches. They're ugly, they don't look right, and hardly ever respond.

3) Round profile picture- again, with everything being squared, why are there round profile pictures? They're so small in most places (start menu and edge browser) that you can hardly even make then out. On top of that, they often appear misplaced.

2) white backgrounds in all system menus..... Why....

1) This isn't effective for touch users. For those who like desktop mode, or windows 7 after a few significant bug fixes., but for everyone using touch devices, jts a nightmare.

I do hear what you're saying. With the release of 8.1 a lot of the complaints were what you mention above. So MS listened too people and gave them what they wanted and a lot of it is very similar to W7 because that's what the people wanted. Some of the things you mention above are personal reference such as 2,3,4,9,10 I personally don't have a problem with how it looks but I'm not one who looks for the 'looks' of an OS or computer. Like Apple tries to make their computers visually appealing, I don't care if it's pretty, I want productivity.

Now for the bugs you mention, what major OS comes out and is absolutely perfect? You can beta test the heck out of an OS and make every bug perfect but until you put it in the real world with general consumers you aren't going to touch every problem. If there's any problem with any application a general user will find it and what's going to count is how MS responds to these problems. The biggest thing you can do is wait, when 8 and 8.1 came out there were a lot of adjustments after the OS came out which made it very pleasant.

I would like a little explanation though. Number 6 - desktop mode...what's wrong with it? In 8 and 8.1 everybody hated the implemtation and wanted more Desktop, they make 10 heavily reliant on the Desktop and you don't like the Desktop, why?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo