Ten disappointing things about Windows 10 :(

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Don't you miss full screen surfing, forward/backward swipes, swipes to get to the start screen/button (that is 100% hidden til you need it), a on screen keyboard that WORKS and understand when it should pop up or not, the one hand fast task switching, the charm bars where you could share a webpage instantly etc etc?

And for the fast development, let us see first... I think we have heard all through the testing period "no worries this is just a beta, things will be better"... If people are happy with the tabletmode of W10 I think they have very low expectations.

I find 0 issue with fullscreen browsing in Windows 10. I launched the modern version of IE all of once on my surface pro 3.

As for sharing via the charms bar? All of twice. My exact train of thought when I saw what they had done with the notification center was "oh wow they got rid of all the stuff I never used and made it into something useful".

Guess what, there's still a giant freaking share icon built into every single app or explorer window in the system. You've lost 0 functionality and now the notifcation center is more useful for more people.

In regards to edge lacking the swipe back and forth feature, I will agree with you there, and guess what, you don't have to use edge. That product is still in its infancy and will be getting updated. Why you would use it right now when there are bigger page load issues, is beyond me,

On screen keyboard support feels about the same. Sorry, but I haven't run into the issues you have been having.

F27

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Modern IE was an amazing browser for touch... NOTHING on your screen till you need it and a very slick and simple interface. With Edge you cannot run it full screen and coupled with the unremovable taskbar it takes up screen space and is irritating to use with the small buttons. MS in general has taken everything that used to be swiped in from 1 of 4 edges and placed it all on the screen which not only makes it look dated but also cluttered.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Want my 10 reasons why I hate Windows 10 ? Besides RTM being buggy still, and not feeling finished as the OP (don't a agree with everything but, a lot of it...

My 10
1. No Windows Media Center
2. No Windows Media Center
3. No Windows Media Center
4. No Windows Media Center
5. Yep, No Windows Media Center
6. No Windows Media Center
7. No Windows Media Center
8. No Windows Media Center
9. Really Microsoft ? Why No Windows Media Center
10. No Windows Media Center

egold70

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
MORE insanely stupid things from MS.
The restoration image for Surface Pro and 8.1 from MS does not work. The tablet reverts back to W10 after reboot.

I.e. I have now a MICROSFT Pro tablet that has been a part of the development program and MS is not letting me activate it in W10 OR let me go back to 8.1.

Wow, this system is really really good... NOW I really hate that fu...ing Company!

Managed to install 8.1 back? There is a relatively easy way forcing 10 to accept "downgrading"
When repair options are visible choose advanced and then command prompt
Type diskpart and use list disk command, then select your disk and type clean, after that`s finished exit the command prompt
Voil?, it will allow restore and install 8.1

egold70

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Not in tablet mode... You have to scale down the DPI setting

Correct, nothing will happen on tablet trying to resize the start, even with mouse wired or Bluetooth
Only scaling down will allow resize but then on small 8 inch tablet everything is uncomfortably small for reading

egold70

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Modern IE was an amazing browser for touch... NOTHING on your screen till you need it and a very slick and simple interface. With Edge you cannot run it full screen and coupled with the unremovable taskbar it takes up screen space and is irritating to use with the small buttons. MS in general has taken everything that used to be swiped in from 1 of 4 edges and placed it all on the screen which not only makes it look dated but also cluttered.

That's why I went back to 8.1 on my tablet(again after insider build fiasco) and am staying firmly here
I find edge almost impossible to use on daily basis even on desktop, good IE 11 is still there
On tablet no other browser except modern IE is giving you a real touch surfing experience

bluefirestarter

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't have 10 things but a few things that drive me bonkers. They have completely ruined OneDrive and pushing it back a few months is really absurd especially since they want people to use Microsoft services. I have completely stopped using OneDrive and no interest to until placeholders come back.I do like Groove but I think it's missing some key features competitors have that would make it great. Basic things like an EQ or the ability to burn CD's. I would also like some of the social aspects that Spotify has. It'd be cool to check out a friends playlist while playing a game on the Xbox One/PC. Edge is a bit of a mess it needs extensions (everyone has said this) but doing little things like deleting favs from the favs bar when they are in a folder are gone. Why? Other than those 3 big things everything else has been great. Bring on the apps!

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I agree to most of the issues here but I also disagree on some particularly Task View/Switcher. I believe it is easier than swiping and swiping until you reach to your desired app or screen. Unless your doing a thumb or finger exercise and you want to strengthen that finger by swiping and swiping. I think Windows 10 is a WORK IN PROGESS. Is it a bad thing? Yes - because its unfinished and No - because it will only get better. So clearly this is like when you were in Windows 7 and tried Windows 8 for the first time. Everybody shouted F##@#@# and threw curses at Microsoft. In time we will get use to it so that's how it is.

hemanlive

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Better still, wait for another year and it will be even better. This way all you can do is just wait and then wait keep on waiting forever.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
... disagree on some particularly Task View/Switcher. I believe it is easier than swiping and swiping until you reach to your desired app or screen. Unless your doing a thumb or finger exercise and you want to strengthen that finger by swiping and swiping...

That is not how you do it in W8/8.1.
You swipe to get the previous app or maybe one more. To get a list of running apps ju just swipe in (from the left) and out again. That brings up a fast task manager (all this done and controlled by your left thumb without even moving your hand.
It is in fact better than W10.

Last edited:

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I find 0 issue with fullscreen browsing in Windows 10. I launched the modern version of IE all of once on my surface pro 3. .

But, using the touch screen, can you enter a web address etc then? I could not open that field once I changed to “full screen” (and it was even hard to close the program…).

As for sharing via the charms bar? All of twice. My exact train of thought when I saw what they had done with the notification center was "oh wow they got rid of all the stuff I never used and made it into something useful".

Guess what, there's still a giant freaking share icon built into every single app or explorer window in the system. You've lost 0 functionality and now the notifcation center is more useful for more people.

Not really. You can maneuver a W8/8.1 tablet with your thumbs without removing your hands. You can share a webpage/email etc while standing in a buss/train or walking on the street/talking on the phone etc etc.
In W10 you must hold the table in one hand and then press in many different areas of the screen with the other (like iPad1 from 2010).

In regards to edge lacking the swipe back and forth feature, I will agree with you there, and guess what, you don't have to use edge. That product is still in its infancy and will be getting updated. Why you would use it right now when there are bigger page load issues, is beyond me

So, what do you use instead? IE on W10 has no swipe. They removed it (atleast for my Surface PROs)!

JohnIvory

May 30, 2014
Visit site
LOL @ all the people shouting "Go to Linux or Apple". The truth is that Windows 10 isn't finished. This isn't like Windows 8, which was finished even though people didn't like the finished product. This is a product that has a solid foundation but is really, really lacking in polish.

- The UI in many areas is a mess. Some items in settings look like they're simply being pulled from the internet, with misaligned lines and poorly chosen fonts. The icons for system programs are a hodge-podge of different colours and design choices.
- The built-in apps are still lacking a lot of features (Mail still doesn't show unread for each account, lack's unified inbox; Groove still doesn't have gapless playback, shows duplicate playlists, etc).
- The massive mismatch between the Metro/Modern and Legacy worlds is greater than even in Windows 8. Everything is bigger with the Modern apps. The fonts are bigger, the bars are bigger, everything. And on the same screen you see much smaller, more compact menus on the legacy apps, making the OS look and feel disjointed at its core. At least in Windows 8 you could choose which world you wanted to live in; now you can't and the differences are all the more glaring.
- Battery life (for me at least) has been cut in half.
- Edge is the most barebones browser in browsing history.

The OS has a solid core. I have no doubt the system engineers worked night and day to get it ready for release. The UI, however, the thing we see when interacting with the core, needs A LOT of work. Those that are saying "The OS is free; get over it" astound me. Nobody forced MSFT to make it free. The OS isn't unfinished because it's free; it's unfinished because Microsoft wanted to make back-to-school. And lastly one shouldn't expect quality from the world's largest software maker to go down because they're giving away their flagship product. This is the face of Microsoft. It should look better.

Seriously, we know the fans will try anything Microsoft makes and try to see the best in it, but c'mon guys. Not everyone that disagrees with you is trying to sabotage you. Any reasonable person should be able to see that 10 isn't on the same level of polish as 8 or 7 were when released. I think we can all admit that.

izik770

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I extremely AGREE!!!
Microsoft, sham on you!
Instead of fixing windows 8 issues, you just made it worse then ever.
Now I'm gonna have to wait for windows 11, or just stay with 8 forever!

elangab

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Windows 10 is, sadly, a 1.0 product. I'm sure it'll be MUCH better a year from today. It's like XP before SP2. I'm using Windows 10 since the first preview build, and there are things that still are not working as they should. Mail client is a good example, I'm using outlook.com account on 2 clean installed machines, and I still hardly get any notification and/or live tile and/or perfect sync. Edge is missing some IE features such as automatically open the download windows after you closed IE, in case there's a download in progress. With Edge, the download just stops. The system is fast, solid and working, but there are tons of small things that must be addressed. I reinstalled 8.1 to activate my key, and less than 2 minuets after logging in the mail client was syncing, the start screen was super fast and everything worked. This was not the case with 8.0, so it's safe to say that it'll take some patches and updates before Windows 10 is truly ready. I hope that day will come sooner than later, as Windows 10 is a very good OS in its core*. I'll continue to use it as it is today, allowing MS to monitor errors and send feedback as much as I can.

* The only thing I really don't like is the new start menu. I think switching to XML model was a mistake, it's not as robust as the one before.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte