Ten disappointing things about Windows 10 :(

tarasis

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Lets all be honest... Windows 10 is a train wreck, and wasn't ready to be released. Here's my ten reasons why I hate windows 10

As someone who mostly uses Mac's, except when it comes to gaming, I have to disagree with you. Win 10 is _FAR_ from a train wreck, that might be Win ME, Vista or 8, but using Win 10 for the last 6 months has largely been an enjoyable experience. (inside VMWare on a Mac, until release day where I replaced my Win 7 install on my PC).

I won't disagree that it has some rough edges (like indicating that there is a notification when there isn't one - like after booting up) but it certainly was in a releasable state, though they could equally have waited another 3-6 months to add more polish. Live Tiles all being one colour, except for certain MS tiles is a bit of a shame, but its used to highlight there stuff. I'm sure that soon enough someone will release a program that will let you set tile colours as you want.

M3AMFM

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Why they don't just look for the designer of google play store and ask him to design the windows GUI

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Re: LIVE TILES ugh...

I cannot believe they shipped windows 10 like this. Here are my beefs so far:
8: Major annoyance: Why did they drop the DESKTOP tile???? Why couldn't that be a tablet/desktop switcher? Seriously!!!!!!

Wow, that should really have solved a lot of problems!
W10/W8.1 switching via the desktop tile instead of this so badly working "tablet mode". :amaze:

Microsoft - Hire this guy!!! (Before Apple does) :excited:
(If needed, trade 100 sleeping persons at the "marketing department" for WP to get him/her...).

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok, after using WIndows 10 more and more, it's still unfnished (CLEAN INSTALL), assorted hangs are common, Even going in WIndows Explorer to find files, it will hang and just give me the spinning hourglass (or what ever it is now) and about 30 seconds later Explorer will crash (a few times now, after clicking back and forth on different drives).

Some programs that ran fine in 8.1 dont even open in 10...3 so far....

Some dead ends here and there, This is starting to really feel like Vista all over again. Vista was a great OS, but, it was released too early to meet a deadline (Hmmmm), so it was VERY buggy and drivers were not 100% ready so that caused the system not to be stable.

Time will tell but, with the bugs, I think I will be sticking with 7 a little longer.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Its clearly not ready for prime time. The only difference between this and Windows 8 is this is an OS aimed at desktop users and as there are more desktop users claiming this is a good upgrade the echo chamber effect makes it appear as if its a step forward but the reality is it isn't.

Case in point, as "bad" as Windows 8 was, did anyone have to dive into their group policy settings to turn off forced tracking of all your activities on your PC? Or have to adjust your update settings so you aren't acting as a distribution server to the internet? How about editing your hosts file so the much hyped not-internet-explorer-best-browser-ever can work correctly? Applications and even start menu hanging frequently? Funny how people are making excuses and finding workarounds for things that actually worked in Windows 8 but because its Microsoft they get a pass while Windows 8 is constantly called a "disaster".

Talk about sheep.....

vladi

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Its clearly not ready for prime time. The only difference between this and Windows 8 is this is an OS aimed at desktop users and as there are more desktop users claiming this is a good upgrade the echo chamber effect makes it appear as if its a step forward but the reality is it isn't.

Case in point, as "bad" as Windows 8 was, did anyone have to dive into their group policy settings to turn off forced tracking of all your activities on your PC? Or have to adjust your update settings so you aren't acting as a distribution server to the internet? How about editing your hosts file so the much hyped not-internet-explorer-best-browser-ever can work correctly? Applications and even start menu hanging frequently? Funny how people are making excuses and finding workarounds for things that actually worked in Windows 8 but because its Microsoft they get a pass while Windows 8 is constantly called a "disaster".

Talk about sheep.....

I understand the embracement to those who updated from Win7.

I dont see a point of upgrading from W8.1 either. Its not faster, MS modern apps (or whatever they call it now) are not improved, you still cant select multiple tiles at once, etc. On the other hand yes its more streamlined across the board, yes they reskinned it nicely especially the desktop part but other then that. I dunno it feels just like a Win8.1 reskin to me but more important thing is its built upon 8.1 foundations which tells you how 8.1 great is beneath the hood.

Kadcidxa

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: LIVE TILES ugh...

I cannot believe they shipped windows 10 like this. Here are my beefs so far:

1: Major annoyance: Whenever i leave my Surface Pro 3 slumbering and i come back, Edge and Mail are frozen and i can only click X,shut them down and open them again. What the truck kinda piece of poopoo software even does that? (Sorry) but i basically have 1700$ of hardware that stops me from doing simple things. (i'm running my second clean install)
2: Major annoyance: My onenote does not work. It just crashes. (and now since it's embedded more or less, you cannot re-install).
3: Major annoyance: My emails stop syncing and tells me 5 times a day: OUT OF DATE! (What does that even mean). No fix!
4: Major annoyance: For the first time in computer history, i have a computer with a mail app that won't allow me to delete multiple mails.
5: Major annoyance: I can't have different tile priority in my start menu compared to my "TOUCH" tablet mode, and.... i can only have 3 tiles next to each other (max.) and... i have to resize them individually and... i had to re-pin them indiviually to my modes too.... ARGHHHH!!!!!
6: Major annoyance: Tiles re-ordering is like shoving a pancake thru a keyhole. Frustrating like nothing else! I had to try 5 times to re-organize 1 icon!!!!! 5 times!!!!

7: Major annoyance: Picture password is like the first version of an android phone, sooo slowww... I can never log in on first attempt unless i take each stroke with extreme patience. Pretty darn crazy dumb! If you ask me. IT WORKED BEFORE! Why make it worse?. Did they not test this?
8: Major annoyance: Why did they drop the DESKTOP tile???? Why couldn't that be a tablet/desktop switcher? Seriously!!!!!!
9: Mild annoyance: Edge has some issues when your typing long and fast in some forums and it freezes once a day! Minimum!
10: Mild annoyance: The borderless windows aren't really borderless. Try running an green theme and open Groove. Uhhh nice clash of blue and green! I'm not 10 years old microsoft!? And if i wanted high contrast i would prefer to have the option of saying NO THX! (how about some transparent borders plz????)
11: Mild annoyance: Three finger swipe up on touchpad gives you a nice animation, swipe back: NO ANIMATION!
12: Mild annoyance: Market place is slow and the profile/downloads section is a mess.
13: OMG I COULD KEEP GOING!!!!!!

FIX THIS!!!!! PLZZZZZZ

5, 6, and 12 beefs, this is exactly how I felt using Windows 10 on my tablet. While trying to get my start screen how I had it on 8.1, I plugged in my wireless mouse because it was so annoying to do on touch!

Eolirin

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I am so confused by all the calls for a desktop tile. There's no difference between a Store app and anything else in terms of how they behave for windowing, which is entirely the point of the set up; 'desktop' is just a mode toggle. Toggling between them can be automatic for convertibles and hybrids, and it's a system function; the quick action menu is where it belongs.

masshuu

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
It is early days yet, windows 8 also sucked, and was improved in windows 8.1. Yet windows 8.1 was a bit crappy also. If you'd have been using windows 10 insider you would have been aware that windows was far from cohesive. Maybe windows 10.1 will address many issues.
I think W10 generally better, except for the onedrive issue, and for that alone, i am flipping between 8.1 and 10 throughout the day. I've got too used to music and other apps being separate windows to go back to window 8.1 again.
Nothing is perfect, not apple, not ms, and if you haven't been living under a rock, then none of this would be new and unexpected. Windows has been sucky since i started using it in the 90's, but i seem to prefer it over osx, oscillating between the systems from time to time.

Himay333

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
While much of what you seem to be experiencing seems to be device specific, the power issue is laughable. Many people couldn't even find the power button in 8.1 - hidden under something called the "charms" bar?? If you were on a desktop (really even a tablet), you might not even be able to find it and if you did, you would be like - what was that?? where did that come from??
Now it's on the start menu... real tough to find... (As far as lock, why would you be locking on a tablet instead of sleeping?)

VARUNGUPTA16061992

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I m facing issue in lappie. My cursor gets stuck occasionally although clicks are working. Same used to happen in Windows 8. I guess its issue of Synaptics drivers! Any one facing same?? Any workaround?

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I find the login process is much slower than Win8.1. Some how, the UX is weird. Although the Start is back, but the menu is feeling so narrow and compressed. Going into All Apps and using the jump list is weird. Everything is just seems so out of place. Perhaps it takes time for me to get used to it

Was excited while waiting for it, but I feeling meh now after using it.

Riopato

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Agree on all points. Basic summary to your points Microsoft broke windows 8. I'm having Touchscreen issues on my surface and end up having to re calibrate every couple of hours because it registers my touch as a right click. Extremely frustrating.
It feels like they just ported the unfinished version of windows10 mobile and merged it with windows 7. Most of my error that I'm getting are actually windows phone errors?????

Riopato

May 11, 2013
Visit site
the limit of 4 tiles across is dumb and a waste of screen real estate and the all apps list doesn't show all the apps on my pc especially all of the individual admin apps. I'm noticing that I gotten into the habit of performing a search for the apps instead of scrolling through the apps list.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Wierd? Lol! I find going through long list of apps or grid of apps (incase android and iOS) wiered. Jump list makes the things so lot faster.

Want more faster? Pin apps on start screen/menu like you do in taskbar in win7.

Weird comparing to how folders and programs are grouped alphabetically on Windows 7. Do you not find the jump list is looking out of place in the tiny area of the Start menu??? MS is just trying too hard to push jump list on windows phone to windows desktop.

I avoid pinning too many apps on the Start tile menu because tiles are just messy.

VARUNGUPTA16061992

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Weird comparing to how folders and programs are grouped alphabetically on Windows 7. Do you not find the jump list is looking out of place in the tiny area of the Start menu??? MS is just trying too hard to push jump list on windows phone to windows desktop.

I avoid pinning too many apps on the Start tile menu because tiles are just messy.

Windows 7 also had app first later folders... Area for both are almost same, ..(windows7 may have broader list, but it isnt unusable). Well current is faster and better option using type and search.

Why messy? U have been creating shortcuts since Windows 95 days. Windows 10 allows shortcut (known as tile here) to be in 4 sizes.. Small (icon like,), medium, large and full length.. Also start menu can be resized if it becomes crowded by dragging edges.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss