Ten disappointing things about Windows 10 :(

Derek Sparks

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Interesting; I'm the opposite. I've been dogfooding from the start and I absolutely hated it until the RTM version. I certainly agree that not everyone likes the "square" look of the OS though. I don't mind it, however; it doesn't feel as cluttered.

Ixolite

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Only if it's an OLED screen. For LCD the backlight stays lit just the same, so uses the same energy.

Actually, for LCD white pixels use the least amount of energy (it is their default "open" state) while black use the most (they need to be "turned on" to block the backlight) but the difference is probably negligible in day-to-day use. On OLED it is opposite since there is no backlight and each individual pixel emits light instead.

cr_buck

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Even when I drag my start menu, it only gives me two groups of tiles, not three.
That's because it has switched form horizontal to vertical scrolling. Two vertical columns and you can have as many groups as you li.e

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I miss the charm bar. Previously I used charm bar to share screenshot by using an app that has option in charm bar. Now, I can't share my screenshot easily. Is there a better way to do it on Windows 10?

Mark Richey

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Not only over exaggerating, but dead wrong on some points.

10) To be honest, there has never been a "finished" version of Windows released. Ever. They have constantly been updated, patched, and fixed. With Windows 10 though, new features are also being added. Difference now is you can still be part of the Insider program and provide input and feedback on every one of these items and more.

9) The notification center actually works well. I would like to see them port the WP(mobile) version over though. In that you can clear all, clear one, or clear groups, for example Facebook notifications without affecting Twitter and mail.

8) The Start Menu takes some time to get used to, but it is far more customizable than in Windows 7, including from the Setting menu. There really are few limits to how many apps or programs or links you can pin to the Start. As for the columns, especially in Full-screen, that depends upon resolution. I found when I raised the resolution to allow 3 columns, for example, on my 8" tablet, text was too small. On my laptop, the resolution won't allow to go as high as on the 8" tablet, despite being a 15" monitor. Resolution rules. Just experiment, again, very customizable.

7) Tablet mode. There are not supposed to be minimize, etc on those windows. but to close or switch, use the task view button or swipe from the left to get to that view. Again, using full-screen, adjusting resolution, and following the new protocols to get places, I have found my Lenovo Tab 8 to be great in Tablet mode, despite full Windows 10.

6) Desktop mode. Now you are just whining. It is simple to create, move, delete icons. But again - if you are using a tablet, you should almost never need desktop mode. But I do find if I use a desktop program, like Office 2013, I simply switch off Tablet mode and get on with it. Simple. Frankly, I have very few things pinned to the desktop. Rather I use the task bar if needed, but don't really need it in Tablet mode.

5) This is the closest you come to having a legit gripe. That said, from the last preview build to the actual "final" product there was vast improvement. I actually enjoy the new animations for the tiles and opening and closing apps, etc. However, allowing people to turn these off or choose a style would be perfect. Some live tiles do make it hard to remember the core function if you can't read the title on the tile, and allowing people to change the color of individual tiles would be a good idea. Submit it.

4) Again, I find this uneven as you note, but usually when they don't respond it is due to some issue with my PC or tablet at the time. Actually, with most, once they are set, there is no need to do anything else. Submit this as a problem if you seriously don't like it.

3) These round vs. square are not yet consistent even on Mobile v. desktop. However, I do see where they are going with this, making the square pics serve one purpose and the circles another (Groove as example: Album v. Artist). I am not certain they are really sold on this themselves, and I would not be surprised to see it change, so submit it as a suggestion/problem as I suspect there are many who feel as you do.

2) Why not? Actually, I heard a story about a Philosophy prof who used the question "Why?" as a final exam question. Many put "Because," and failed. Many spent the hour writing copious pages of rationale and were likely rewarded with varying degrees of mediocre scores. The one student who received an "A+" simply answered, "Why not?" Personally, I don't have an issue with it, but again, it begs for a choice for users: define a color; use the theme color; or no color.

1) I have Windows 10 installed on 5 devices: non-touch i3 laptop; old Acer Windows 10" tablet; Lenovo Tab 8 (formerly Windows 8.1 with Bing, so on W10 Home); Lumia 920; Lumia 930 (daily driver). None are perfect, but to be honest, the i7 non-touch Windows 7 I use daily at work is not either. The cool part? I know many of the issue you have brought up will be addressed, fixed or abandoned. I have used Windows 8.x on the Acer and laptop since the first Consumer Preview in 2013. I was comfortable, but I will never buy another desktop or laptop without Touch. As I noted, in full-screen Tablet mode on my Lenovo, I have found it to be responsive, fast and easy to navigate and use. I have it set at 200% in resolution (System>Display) and that shows as the recommended. This means fewer tiles, but I can run most of my non-life tiles down to the small size and eliminate a bunch of scrolling in landscape. In Portrait, it feels just like the mobile version, with one column of tiles. Are there problems? Yes. Edge is not fully complete and waiting for add-ins, particularly to eliminate ads. Some apps die occasionally, but restarting them often is all it takes. I look for these issues to disappear shortly. Programs and folders on the left side of the Start Menu are almost exactly like in Windows 7, only easier to navigate.

All-in-all, the OS is faster, more secure, and of the those available in the mainstream (Android, Chrome, MacOS) the only one that really deals with touch in a logical way, opening the door for even more innovation by OEM for hybrids and 2-in-1 devices.

Ze Snake

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I Upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10 on my Dell venue 8 Pro and I've been having Issues too... Lots of them. Maybe having it on desktop isn't bad but here's my issues so far:

1) App crashing: Mail, Calendar and my store app randomly crashes every few seconds. My mail is basically unusable. Which sucks. Sometimes its stable but generally... crazy.

2) Scaling: The scaling of win 10 tablet mode doesnt work well on an 8 inch screen and when you set the zoom to 125% (which is recommended by windows), some pop up windows are too big for the screen and you have to change the rotation to portrait to get to the buttons. Also, some metro apps just dont work. Machinarium doesnt scale at all and Halo doesnt give the correct location when you press on the screen (off by about 1/2 cm).

3) Rotation glitches: Sometimes when i unlock my tablet the screen rotation glitches where the icons not scaled properly again. Also, not a very smooth experience changing the rotation. Windows 8.1 seemed to be much better in this regard.

Overrall it hasnt been a very smooth experience for me as a 8inch tablet user. Metro apps dont launch fullscreen, app switching and closing isnt very touch ui friendly, Browser scaled too small for the screen... and many other minor irritations that just get to you.
I wanted to upgrade and i'm trying to get used to it but if tablets arent made a priority and tablet mode doesnt become a smoother experience i'll be forced to downgrade to 8.1 :(

baandoptager

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Not only over exaggerating, but dead wrong on some points.

9) The notification center actually works well. I would like to see them port the WP(mobile) version over though. In that you can clear all, clear one, or clear groups, for example Facebook notifications without affecting Twitter and mail.

1) I have Windows 10 installed on 5 devices: non-touch i3 laptop; old Acer Windows 10" tablet; Lenovo Tab 8 (formerly Windows 8.1 with Bing, so on W10 Home); Lumia 920; Lumia 930 (daily driver). None are perfect, but to be honest, the i7 non-touch Windows 7 I use daily at work is not either. The cool part? I know many of the issue you have brought up will be addressed, fixed or abandoned. I have used Windows 8.x on the Acer and laptop since the first Consumer Preview in 2013. I was comfortable, but I will never buy another desktop or laptop without Touch. As I noted, in full-screen Tablet mode on my Lenovo, I have found it to be responsive, fast and easy to navigate and use. I have it set at 200% in resolution (System>Display) and that shows as the recommended. This means fewer tiles, but I can run most of my non-life tiles down to the small size and eliminate a bunch of scrolling in landscape. In Portrait, it feels just like the mobile version, with one column of tiles. Are there problems? Yes. Edge is not fully complete and waiting for add-ins, particularly to eliminate ads. Some apps die occasionally, but restarting them often is all it takes. I look for these issues to disappear shortly. Programs and folders on the left side of the Start Menu are almost exactly like in Windows 7, only easier to navigate.

All-in-all, the OS is faster, more secure, and of the those available in the mainstream (Android, Chrome, MacOS) the only one that really deals with touch in a logical way, opening the door for even more innovation by OEM for hybrids and 2-in-1 devices

9: I have all my notifications turned of, which just means i have a black slab of emptiness on top of the "quicksettings" that aren't really quick, or smart for that matter. I am so dissapointed that i can't just minimize it so it won't take over 1/4 of my screen real estate when i wanna turn off wifi. Imagine if 4 icons would take up 1/4 of your screen real estate and all the other icons would be normal size. Seriously! That's incredibly dumb! PS: How does one actually see the time in tablet or desktop mode when fx. watching a movie. Why couldn't that be put in there or atleast left like before?

1: Your Acer without touch seems to be the perfect driver for W10. JUst sayin. This is what MS came to fix. Make those folk happy and then just move from there. Wait for them to move to touch and then expand. Which just means that everyone else that bought into their top tier fx Surface line are just left in a world pre 1990 almost, a place where the desktop though is rendered useless because of live tiles, app lists and taskbars (programs, apps, programs, apps and programs coming in from all sides) and you actually have a clock, where you can select multiple emails at the same and where you can draw in Onenote without accidentally activating typing all the time (yes, they reversed that fix too)

baandoptager

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I miss the charm bar. Previously I used charm bar to share screenshot by using an app that has option in charm bar. Now, I can't share my screenshot easily. Is there a better way to do it on Windows 10?

I wish i could see the time easily on my computer when working fullscreen :(

baandoptager

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
So... are you looking for help resolving your reasons? Or are you just making a blog post in the forums?

There is no resolve. Microsoft took 1 step forward and 15 steps back. They downgraded every user to being beta testers! Whether you want to be or not.

The death of settings is here to stay!

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There is no resolve. Microsoft took 1 step forward and 15 steps back. They downgraded every user to being beta testers! Whether you want to be or not.

Easy there, Sparky. There's a simple answer for you: don't run Windows 10. But my question wasn't directed at you.

baandoptager

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: LIVE TILES ugh...

I cannot believe they shipped windows 10 like this. Here are my beefs so far:

1: Major annoyance: Whenever i leave my Surface Pro 3 slumbering and i come back, Edge and Mail are frozen and i can only click X,shut them down and open them again. What the truck kinda piece of poopoo software even does that? (Sorry) but i basically have 1700$ of hardware that stops me from doing simple things. (i'm running my second clean install)
2: Major annoyance: My onenote does not work. It just crashes. (and now since it's embedded more or less, you cannot re-install).
3: Major annoyance: My emails stop syncing and tells me 5 times a day: OUT OF DATE! (What does that even mean). No fix!
4: Major annoyance: For the first time in computer history, i have a computer with a mail app that won't allow me to delete multiple mails.
5: Major annoyance: I can't have different tile priority in my start menu compared to my "TOUCH" tablet mode, and.... i can only have 3 tiles next to each other (max.) and... i have to resize them individually and... i had to re-pin them indiviually to my modes too.... ARGHHHH!!!!!
6: Major annoyance: Tiles re-ordering is like shoving a pancake thru a keyhole. Frustrating like nothing else! I had to try 5 times to re-organize 1 icon!!!!! 5 times!!!!
7: Major annoyance: Picture password is like the first version of an android phone, sooo slowww... I can never log in on first attempt unless i take each stroke with extreme patience. Pretty darn crazy dumb! If you ask me. IT WORKED BEFORE! Why make it worse?. Did they not test this?
8: Major annoyance: Why did they drop the DESKTOP tile???? Why couldn't that be a tablet/desktop switcher? Seriously!!!!!!
9: Mild annoyance: Edge has some issues when your typing long and fast in some forums and it freezes once a day! Minimum!
10: Mild annoyance: The borderless windows aren't really borderless. Try running an green theme and open Groove. Uhhh nice clash of blue and green! I'm not 10 years old microsoft!? And if i wanted high contrast i would prefer to have the option of saying NO THX! (how about some transparent borders plz????)
11: Mild annoyance: Three finger swipe up on touchpad gives you a nice animation, swipe back: NO ANIMATION!
12: Mild annoyance: Market place is slow and the profile/downloads section is a mess.
13: OMG I COULD KEEP GOING!!!!!!

I'll keep going!!!

13: Major annoyance: After visiting the online ONENOTE version, for some reason my W10 version now finally "loads" (doesn't crash), yet they have changed it sooo much that you can't do handwriting anymore without activatiing text input (nice bug testing on that). PS: Collaborating from the native app is also not possible. Yet i work next to a guy who's on mac. He can collaborate in any form he wants, iphone, ipad etc.

14: Major annoyance: Sometimes right clicking on files takes up to, actually.... 20 seconds before you get stats.

15: Major annoyance: You can't even copy/paste from the new photo viewer when opening a photo.

16: Major annoyance: My notifications center keeps telling me that i have new notifications even though i've turned them all off! Great!!!

I know now why it's free. So no one can complain.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: LIVE TILES ugh...

I'll keep going!!!

So now I'll direct the question to you: are you looking for solutions to help you alleviate some of the issues you bring up? Or are you just looking to vent as if these forums were your personal blog or something?

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Sigh. Big step backwards.
Microsoft had it nailed with Windows 8.1 with a few design decisions:
1) Clear separation between desktop assuming mouse/keyboard control and metro assuming touch control.
They could optimize both experiences individually tailored to the use-case. This meant in particular:
For mouse control they can optimize movement distance (by having controls centralized) while for touch placing controls on the border like charm-bar in order to enable one-hand/thumb control. Likewise for mouse control you can have much smaller hit-boxes, which enables you to put more content on screen. For touch control you need larger fonts and hit-boxes and that typically implies less content.
So keeping metro and desktop separated was a completely reasonable decision. In fact on my desktop with Windows 8.1 is started desktop and would never see metro again. Likewise on tablet i typically would stay in the excellent metro UI. Now with Windows 10 i have this abomination, which fulfills neither role particularly well and i have desktop and metro mxed all over the place.
2) Metro UI: most important and often used actions can be done with thumbs, while holding the tablet.
Right thumb:
For this they introduced charm-bar, which is an excellent context sensitive control, always accessible with right thumb. Here you could open app settings, getting app info, share via email, project to screen, stream content via DLNA, send to printer and bring up time, network connectivity information etc.
Left thumb:
Enable task control. You could either swipe in most recent app or with swipe-in-out getting an all-app view on the left side of the screen - all accessible via thumb gestures.

With above mentioned design paradigms, Windows 8.1 was in Metro mode miles ahead of Android and iOS. Now with Windows 10, we can be happy if we eventually approach the usability of the other mobile OS in a few years time.
I do not understand, how they could release Windows 10 assuming they need to play catch-up in mobile space.

Oh and where is modern IE? The only usable touch browser?

I for one leave Windows 10 on my desktop, because it is mostly acceptable but not great but going back to 8.1 on my Surface Pro 3. I might consider going back if they fix tablet:
1) remove task bar at the bottom
2) bring back task control usable with left thumb
3) bring back charms with full functionality usable with right thumb
4) remove hamburger button (it launches a desktop app as file explorer, even when i am in tablet mode)
5) do not launch desktop apps when in tablet mode, or at least start them within "desktop" app like in Windows 8.1
6) introduce info-center as swipe from top or as part of charms

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Click/tap the hamburger in the upper left of the window title. There you will see "Share" and it does exactly what you're looking for.

I wish i could see the time easily on my computer when working fullscreen :(

I've found a fix for that one.
DSCF2900.JPG

VARUNGUPTA16061992

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Many apps have lost its metro features or gestures. Like touchpad gestures to open action bars. Or right click to get top or bottom action bars in full screen metro apps.

Hope such features r coming for older touch pads (windows 8 era touch pads), like swipe left edge on toch pad to get task view, some old windows 8 gestures for metro apps and so on

Bai

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I didn't read the whole thread so pardon if I missed anything.

I am seriously considering going back to 7 because of a few things that throw me off.

1. New Photo app, it don't even show the file name what is MS thinking? It is as bad as W8 metro without a clock.
2. Edge, no save to option, wtf?
3. In IE I click new tab then I can start typing, in edge I click new tab then I have to click the address bar before I can type. wtf?
4. I setup as a local user, it is all fine except after I go to outlook.com to check email my login become my email address. wth?
5. I can't not change user on lock screen.
6. Zero improvement on WP integration
7. How is it possible for them to make Solitaire slower? Not only the game is slower it take a while to load.

That's all I can think of right now as a regular user.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett