Ten disappointing things about Windows 10 :(

VARUNGUPTA16061992

May 26, 2014
Visit site
1. New Photo app, it don't even show the file name what is MS thinking? It is as bad as W8 metro without a clock.
2. Edge, no save to option, wtf?
3. In IE I click new tab then I can start typing, in edge I click new tab then I have to click the address bar before I can type. wtf?
4. I setup as a local user, it is all fine except after I go to outlook.com to check email my login become my email address. wth?
5. I can't not change user on lock screen.
6. Zero improvement on WP integration
7. How is it possible for them to make Solitaire slower? Not only the game is slower it take a while to load.

That's all I can think of right now as a regular user.

1. Clock was always there.. Click win+c to see time n charms.. One of best parts... I loved it.
3. Edge is still in development.. Thats why IE still exists.
4. Of course u add a Microsoft account. First account u add is always MS account as u add Google account on every android device. Well to use store and update mail app whch u wanna use .. U will require ms account. Local account .. Then u must avoid store apps. It aint a big thing... May b MS may relax this requirement in future.
5. Change user? You can switch between user like u did in win7. Look for accounts on lower left end.

6. Phonr companion .. N continnum is coming up. With Win10 mobilr .. More improvement will come

7. Solitaire is now no longer usual .exe app. Its a newer app model... Performance improvements r expected ...in future updates.

Little patiance n change in routine usage ...
Will help u adapt win10

Bai

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
1. Clock was always there.. Click win+c to see time n charms.. One of best parts... I loved it.
Good that you like "win+c" just to tell time, I don't and none I spoke with does. That's why MS put the clock back on W10

3. Edge is still in development.. Thats why IE still exists.
MS put Edge on tanks bar, not IE. They wanted people to use edge, not IE.

4. Of course u add a Microsoft account. First account u add is always MS account as u add Google account on every android device. Well to use store and update mail app whch u wanna use .. U will require ms account. Local account .. Then u must avoid store apps. It aint a big thing... May b MS may relax this requirement in future.

No, I login as a local user and WIndows should not change it to my MS account without notice. I did not add MS account to any app, I went to outlook.com to check email, not the mail app.

5. Change user? You can switch between user like u did in win7. Look for accounts on lower left end.

No, I looked everywhere there was NOTHING on the lower left end.

6. Phonr companion .. N continnum is coming up. With Win10 mobilr .. More improvement will come

Phone Companion did nothing, it let me open files or sync which I can do the same thing in W7. Phone companion is like a fancy explorer.

7. Solitaire is now no longer usual .exe app. Its a newer app model... Performance improvements r expected ...in future updates.

why need to change anything that worked since the beginning of time and make it worst? I need update to make fk solitaire to run smoother?

Little patiance n change in routine usage ...
I am patience, I let MS f me over WP7, I can't stand W8 but I have a W8 laptop, my whole house is MS in including phone. Some of the thing is just plain stupid. I even experiment using MS account login, plug in my WP 8.1 unlock the phone, send myself a txt, nothing happen in W10, I still have to pickup my phone and reply. solitaire really pissed me off.

Will help u adapt win10

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Start Menu- Some people report being able to have three groups of live tiles horizontally, most are reporting only two.

The maximum number of horizontal groups that you can have depends on the number of pixels available for the menu and whether you are in full-screen Start or Start Menu. In the full-screen version, the tiles are bigger, taking up more space and the left side (recent apps, etc) is hidden in a hamburger menu. Both of these changes impact how much space is needed.

On my Surface Pro 3 (2160x1440 that's effectively 1440x960 because of the default 150% magnification) AND with my task bar on the left side, I could get the full-screen Start Screen to show three groups. I slightly narrowed the width of the task bar (until it's just wide enough to continue to show the date below the time) and got the third group to appear.

Guils

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I did not understand so much hate against the post and this huge need to refute it, when even the title makes obvious that it's an opinion. I happened to agree with most of your points, I prefer to explain them below. Just try to forgive some english mistakes ;)

10) I understand what you mean. This "work in progress" talk can work when it comes to new features and some redesign, but not for everything. There is no excuse to deliver a system with those non-smooth animations, a half-browser and a store full of bugs... Anyway, the fact of being "upgraded over time" should not be an excuse to deliver functions by half.

9) I also do not like the switches style, but I understand that the icons size is due to the space they need for a second line. I really liked the colorful notifications from W8, I hope they think on it when they improve notification center again. But it's not a big frustration for me since i almost don't use it - it's empty all the time.

8) I have complains about the way the tiles are organized (I personally hate vertical-scrolling, it's just horrible for a good alignment). But since i can't think on a solution, I'll pass.

7) I can't talk a lot about tablet mode, I gave up on it. We know how charms was quite good, but i have to admit i'm not missing it as much as i thought i would (the settings and share options found a good place on the new apps design, so i'm not worried). My big frustration, as I said above, is just the tablet mode vertical-scrolling: god, how i miss my fully, beautifully and correctly aligned tiles...

6) I know how there are a lot of icons that weren't updated, making some places a bit inconsistent. But i'm really liking the new ones, it's just a matter of time - at least I hope.

5) It all began with the Windows Phone transparent tiles. I hated what it all became. The background behind tiles was a cool idea, we were free to try some "patterns" and all, but the full-background + a lot of transparent tiles Microsoft brought with W10 Mobile is just ugly, i really do not understand how people were crazy with it... Please, make a start screen just with transparent tiles and put some random background, and it just feels like the white icons are screaming to be free from the now-useless squares... BUT LET'S BACK ON THE PC POINT. Maybe they could maintain this accent-color trend with general apps, but i'd still prefer the programs and apps like store, office and groove to have its original colors.

4) I wish they could just maintain those icons on the settings section of charms, it was really beautiful... But, again, it's not my frustration-priority.

3) I think a profile picture should try to show the most of you, and circular shapes just cut some space... But I understand all the repetitive talk of "circles for people, didn't you understand? it's because it's for peeeeople ok? groove, artists, people too!!".

2) Yeah, it looks lifeless, I hope they bring the old settings collor-scheme back.

1) Already talked about, I think...

Dave Reeves

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
I would agree with you, why has Microsoft released windows 10 when they know its not complete? everyone thinks they are getting free windows 10, they are upto a point. they are being used to iron out problems for Microsoft, when all the problems are fixed don't be surprised if Microsoft make it a subscription package, else why would the give millions of pounds away. I have been a beater tester for Microsoft for the last 15 years, since they left windows 3.1 they have never produced any software that hasent required weekly updates in one form or another. also they have given no thought to those people that are on limited, and dial up connections. they have removed all windows program's from the uninstall so you cant even uninstall updates you have to rely on system restore when it works, my personal view it that Microsoft has to much control over windows 10. i have several computers and run different operating systems, Linux is very good and stable since they put a GUI on it very few updates required, also run an apple never had to pay fora new operating system updates are very rare, after all this is where bill ate stole windows from. the only reason he ended up a millionaire was to promise that the next operating system would be the one with all the fixes. he couldn't design a mobile phone, and no other manufacture wanted his mobile windows app so he bought Nokia an used that for his own system. Microsoft is the biggest provider for operating system which makes them a potential security risk in as much that they could take over the world, this may be a bit far fetched but it would only take one bad apple to start it, whatever was thought about 30 years ago is gradually becoming a reality

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I would agree with you, why has Microsoft released windows 10 when they know its not complete? everyone thinks they are getting free windows 10, they are upto a point. they are being used to iron out problems for Microsoft, when all the problems are fixed don't be surprised if Microsoft make it a subscription package, else why would the give millions of pounds away. I have been a beater tester for Microsoft for the last 15 years, since they left windows 3.1 they have never produced any software that hasent required weekly updates in one form or another. also they have given no thought to those people that are on limited, and dial up connections. they have removed all windows program's from the uninstall so you cant even uninstall updates you have to rely on system restore when it works, my personal view it that Microsoft has to much control over windows 10. i have several computers and run different operating systems, Linux is very good and stable since they put a GUI on it very few updates required, also run an apple never had to pay fora new operating system updates are very rare, after all this is where bill ate stole windows from. the only reason he ended up a millionaire was to promise that the next operating system would be the one with all the fixes. he couldn't design a mobile phone, and no other manufacture wanted his mobile windows app so he bought Nokia an used that for his own system.

Microsoft isn't planning a bait and switch. If you get the OS for free, you get to keep it for free. There are already set prices for those who don't get it for free. It will not be a subscription package.

I remember Windows 3.1, and believe you me, they could have used some regular updates back then, but there was no way to deliver those updates to the masses without selling new floppy disks to cover the cost. There were a lot of things that needed fixing and updating, but it waited until Windows 95.

Bill Gates didn't end up a millionaire by promising fixes in the next version of an OS. He was made a millionaire by not "selling" his first OS, but doing something that at the time was fairly new. He "licensed" his Disk Operating System (DOS) to IBM for use in their PCs to customers. They made millions long before they ever started doing updates and new OSes.

Microsoft actually designed the first smart phone. It was a pocket PC, and was rather a powerful little device that could do far more than what was capable on the later introduced iPhone. However, it was just too complicated for the average consumer, so it was pretty much a niche market. Microsoft didn't even think about targeting a phone to the masses that was as easy to use as the iPhone until much later. There were actually quite a few reputable manufacturers using that early Windows Mobile OS. I, myself, sported an HTC brand that I liked very much. I still have it.

Also, Microsoft isn't trying to make their big money on the OS this time around. They want everyone to be on that OS so they can make money from their cut in the Store for apps and also for other services that they do sell that run on top of Windows. That's where Microsoft makes the money.

Whoa! Updates for Linux not required? I got tired of downloading updates and new versions all the time. It's just easier to stick with Windows for me. At least it's better automated in Windows. True, with Linux the updates aren't "required" because you can just choose to never stay up to date and run version 6.x instead of 14.x. No one will pressure you or force you to update. I'd rather be up-to-date, personally. Especially with security updates. Windows 3.1 didn't need security updates so much because hacking wasn't the widespread problem back then that it is now, largely because the Internet didn't exist yet. Think about that. The fact that Microsoft DOES keep putting out security updates shows they care enough about your security to do it.

Microsoft is the biggest provider for operating system which makes them a potential security risk in as much that they could take over the world, this may be a bit far fetched but it would only take one bad apple to start it, whatever was thought about 30 years ago is gradually becoming a reality
Okay... well, all I can say is... ?

I think I'll just stop responding now.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
why has Microsoft released windows 10 when they know its not complete?

This is such a silly question. Microsoft is not like Apple, with a specific, focused list of hardware they support. Microsoft is expected to code Windows in such a way that it supports every piece of hardware stuffed into any x86/x64 machine for the last god-knows-how-many years. That is... an impossible task; there's no telling how Windows 10 is going to react on all hardware combinations until it's actually put on all hardware combinations, and that can't happen until its in the hands of the users. And not just the Insiders, either. I'm talking about users users.

I think Microsoft is doing the best they can with Windows 10 with the resources they have available to them. I mean, damn, it's already installed on god-knows-how-many millions of PCs, and they've already released several updates, including a comprehensive update, with many more to come as the feedback comes rolling in.

they are being used to iron out problems for Microsoft

Of course; unless you actually expect Microsoft to have every single hardware combination tucked away in some test lab somewhere, so that they can insure it all works before it gets distributed to users.

Linux is very good and stable since they put a GUI on it very few updates required, also run an apple never had to pay fora new operating system updates are very rare, after all this is where bill ate stole windows from. the only reason he ended up a millionaire was to promise that the next operating system would be the one with all the fixes. he couldn't design a mobile phone, and no other manufacture wanted his mobile windows app so he bought Nokia an used that for his own system.

Oh. I get it now. You just needed a soapbox from where you scream your Microsoft distaste. May I recommend Blogger or Wordpress for next time?

theguy08

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
To start with I applaud Microsoft for taking feedback from others to try to make Windows 10 more what everyone wants. It was a bit of a risk and for the most part I think it's a good idea. Kudos. The problem is Windows 10 is a freaking mess!!

1 - I refuse to use Edge since it doesn't support extensions yet. Sorry but that should have been ready to go at release if you want people to switch from other browsers.

2 - Internet Explorer (and File Explorer for that matter) backgrounds are all white. What the hell? There's no clear way to tell which tab is active when I have more than one tab open - they are all the same color! The only way to tell is looking for the tiny "x" on the right of the tab that closes it. But wait, there's more! That tiny "x" is light gray on a white background! Maybe Microsoft is coming out with a line of eyeglasses and they're creating future customers?

3 - The live tiles look terrible on the start menu... colors are all over the place and the ones that are supposed to update regularly just don't!

4 - Hardware incompatibilities! I spent the better part of 3 days trying to work around a wireless adapter card that, according to Microsoft's own website, is "fully compatible" with Windows 10. Yes it installs. Yes Windows recognizes it. Yes it constantly disconnects, slows bandwidth to a crawl and makes you want to rip your hair out. Touchpad on my dad's laptop wont scroll. The Windows 10 driver is installed, the option is there in the settings, but it just won't scroll.

5 - No games included other than through Xbox Live? I'm sorry but my 65 year old dad shouldn't have to jump through hoops setting up an Xbox account to play solitaire. Even worse, when I did get it set up for him to be as convenient as possible, the damn game is marred with ads! Fail Microsoft, so fail!

6 - Activation failed. Just because my girlfriend's laptop was made by Asus and came with OEM Windows 7 I can't activate? No let me rephrase that... It will activate if I do an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. The only problem is all of the BSOD critical errors that ensued afterwards! (though I'll give MS credit for the cute :( emoticon on the BSOD screen now). A clean install fixes the BSOD but means you can't activate. Tech support guy said wait 48 hours and try again. Waited 48 hours and still nothing. Called the tech guy again, he said wait 48 hours. Are you even trying to fix this, or are you just stalling? It's now a week later and I still couldn't activate.

7 - Why do we need a lock screen before a login screen? Just to show updates from Mail and News and such? Seems like that could have been incorporated into a lock/login screen combo.

8 - Notifications are annoying. I'm all for knowing what's going on but what is with the notifications bubble going white like there is a new notification, only to open it up and find it saying there's no new notifications. Was it feeling lonely and just wanted some attention?

9 - Storage keeps reporting some 500MB plus of temporary files that can be deleted. I press the delete button and it tells me to check back later because it's working on it. Apparently this was designed by the same guys working on the activation issues because I checked back 4-5 times in the last week and the files are apparently still there and pressing the delete button again just gives the same message to check back later! It doesn't even tell you where these supposed files are so you can manually delete them!

10 - For some reason my HTPC will no longer wake from S5 using a USB keyboard. It seems that Windows is turning off the USB ports when it shuts down even though I changed the power management settings on the devices to stop it screwing with the USB ports! Hmm Windows 7 didn't have this problem, so...

I've been a MS guy since MS DOS but this has seriously made me want to look into other OS. After all of these, and other minor issues decided to downgrade back to Windows 7. Maybe in a couple more years you'll get it worked out Microsoft, but not today.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I think the take-away from this is that Windows 10 is not for everyone. I'm hearing quite a few people who are very happy with Windows 7, and want a Windows 7-like experience. There is no reason those people should upgrade - they should stay with Windows 7. There are people who really enjoyed Windows 8.1 and the tablet experience it offered. Again, those people should stay with Windows 8.1.

Each OS offers a different experience, and people should choose the one they are most comfortable with. I know people who are still on Windows XP, and there is no problem with that (as long as they take certain precautions while using the Internet).

My favorite complaint I keep reading are people annoyed with Media Center no longer available on Windows 10, since their HTPC relies on it. They rail against Windows 10 and Microsoft without once thinking, "I can just stay with Windows 7 (or 8.1) on my purpose-built media PC, since it's working great for me."

If your current refrigerator is working fine for you, why go get a new one? Doesn't make sense. However, if the new refrigerator has features you really like and want - then it makes sense. Same for Windows 10. If you like the new interface, and like the Cortana integration, and Edge, then upgrade. Otherwise, stay with your current system. There's nothing wrong with that.

sirajum munir

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
Please Make an Operating system like windows or something else for your own. Or order to any company to provide you the best thing that you will love to have. Tell them clearly what you want.

dermbrian

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
You can't customize the "all apps" alphabetical list of applications. I'd like to be able to delete items from that area (without uninstalling the program) and add items to that area...such as utilities or shortcuts that are not 'installed' but are simple .exe files.

I'd also like Cortana to be able to run those programs or shortcuts. For example "Hey, Cortana....Shutdown" could turn off your PC if you made an appropriate .bat file and named it Shutdown.

I'd also like Cortana to be able to bring a program to the focus. I can open a program "Hey Cortana....open Calculator" but it's hit-or-miss if the window opens on the screen or the app opens in the background, on the taskbar but not in the 'focus'. Opening it again just brings up a second instance. What good is the "Open" command if you don't get the program open in the forefront?

Brian

Dave Reeves

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
first of all you need to get your facts right, Microsoft didn't sell the dos to IBM, they offered it to IBM and IBM dismissed it and programmed there own under the IBM label, bill gates bought the dos from an individual who didn't know how valuable it was, and lastly bill gates didn't invent windows at all, he was employed by apple and stole it from the, revers engineered it because apple didn't protect it by copyright so labeled his version Microsoft windows, apple were the fist to introduce apple windows, as far as Linux goes
there are at least 60% of companies in the UK that use this as a server front end, i work in the it industry most f my commercial customers are on Linux, and not just to avoid the cost of microsofts seats, but there are not so many viruses or hackers as there are for windows, so before you go opening your mouth and putting post down maybe you should check your facts. and by the way i am a certified Microsoft engineer

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't mind Windows 10 on my SP2....its definitely not meant for smaller screens. While it does a lot good, it looks visually unfinished and its not as pretty as say OSx (which I hate but give props for its sharp punchy details).

When I hear people talk its 50/50, half like it and half hate it. I'd say I'm in the middle.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'd also like Cortana to be able to run those programs or shortcuts. For example "Hey, Cortana....Shutdown" could turn off your PC if you made an appropriate .bat file and named it Shutdown.

She already does that. Say "Hey Cortana", then "Launch [program]", such as "Launch Calculator" or "Launch Word" or "Launch Excel". She cannot shutdown the PC for semi-obvious reasons. You don't want someone walking behind you and saying "Hey Cortana, shutdown". :)

dermbrian

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
She already does that. Say "Hey Cortana", then "Launch [program]", such as "Launch Calculator" or "Launch Word" or "Launch Excel". She cannot shutdown the PC for semi-obvious reasons. You don't want someone walking behind you and saying "Hey Cortana, shutdown". :)
Read closer. She cannot Launch programs that are not "installed". I want to be able to launch stand-alone programs (small .exe utilities, batch files), and could if I was able to add them to the start menu and that was where she looked first. I agree that enabling "Hey Cortana....shutdown" is not a good idea from Microsoft's point of view, but if I live alone (or am the last one to bed...) and can do it from a batch file, why can't she? I could always set her to respond only to my voice.

I believe I'll be able to use a .bat to .exe converter program to do what I want to do. With that, I should be able to pin those files to the start tiles area, at least, and have Cortana launch them if I want her to. I'll start a different thread if I'm able to get her to shutdown the PC that way.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
and could if I was able to add them to the start menu and that was where she looked first

Got it. :)

To add something to the Start Menu - do the following:

Open This PC. In the address bar type: start menu
Then go into Programs. Now you can create a shortcut to an EXE or BAT file and name it whatever you'd like. Now tell Cortana, "Launch [name of your new shortcut]"

BTW - this is how I get Cortana to shutdown my PC - I have a BAT file that shuts down Windows with some cleanup. I just titled the shortcut "Shutdown Windows" Cortana launches it no problem.

Edit: "Read closer." - sorry, my bad. I assumed you knew how to create a new Start Menu item/shortcut.

Edit 2: If you want to access the "All Users" Start Menu, open This PC and paste into the address bar: C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

Last edited:

Dave Reeves

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
I would agree with staying with the windows version that suits you best, unfortunately the length of time you can do this is controlled by Microsoft and other software vendors, as we have seen in the past when Microsoft introduce a new platform it isn't too long before other software vendors start developing software fr the new version only, and if that isn't enough Microsoft gradually disband previous versions,although there may well be a lengthy period before this happens eventually you will be forced to change

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I would agree with staying with the windows version that suits you best, unfortunately the length of time you can do this is controlled by Microsoft and other software vendors, as we have seen in the past when Microsoft introduce a new platform it isn't too long before other software vendors start developing software fr the new version only, and if that isn't enough Microsoft gradually disband previous versions,although there may well be a lengthy period before this happens eventually you will be forced to change

To some degree, yes. However, it's usually the reverse. Companies are slow to embrace new versions of Windows and want customers to stay on old versions - banks are the poster child for this one. Major banks still want corporate customers to use IE9, with some just now allowing IE10. I was blown away when Wells Fargo said they're planning support for Microsoft Edge late 2016 (kudos Wells!!).

And we have many years before people have to worry about Windows 7 (2020) or Windows 8 (2023). Even then, they can run their OS past EOS if they take precautions when operating on the Internet. For example, the Media Center folks with HTPCs - no reason that system can't run Windows 7 well past 2020, as the system is designed to play media content.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss