Ten disappointing things about Windows 10 :(

Dave Reeves

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
i don't know what soapbox you've crawled out of, if you read my post properly, if you have the intellectual ability to do so, you will read that i said that bill gates stole the original windows from apple where he was employed, this is common knowledge no where did I say it was like the apple windows. maybe you should crawl back under your soapbox and take up reading lessons before you start downing other members posts, have a nice day!!!!!!!

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
i don't know what soapbox you've crawled out of

I assume you're speaking to me, since I mentioned "soapbox" and you're using that in your reply. You might want to try quoting or referencing the post to which you're replying next time you fire off a deluge of replies.

i said that bill gates stole the original windows from apple where he was employed

Uh, no. You're wrong. Bill Gates was never employed at Apple. Apple and Microsoft were business partners, and Microsoft wrote software under contract for Apple, but Bill Gates was never an employee of Apple.

no where did I say it was like the apple windows

First off, Apple doesn't make Windows. It makes OS X. Secondly, I didn't say you did say that.

Let me explain the parallel I was trying to make, and I'll try to make it simple for you: Apple manufactures their own machines. In doing so, they get to pick the specific hardware that they'll support. Because of that, OS X has tighter integration with the hardware on which it runs, and thus, requires significantly less testing than does Windows. It's conceivable that Apple could have each and every machine supported by an OS release in a testing facility, to insure that the OS release is solid on that machine.

As a point of contrast, Microsoft is not like that. Windows supports almost all hardware. Microsoft doesn't get to cherry-pick the hardware they'll support, because they have no control over what components HP or Toshiba or Dell or Mom-n-Pop's Computers will put in the machine. It's utterly inconceivable that Microsoft will have each and every machine with each and every combination of hardware than at OS release is expected to support. Since they can't test each and every one of those combinations, Windows is never "complete" until it's been installed on every one of those combinations, feedback has been provided, and Microsoft has had a chance to push out updates. And that can't happen until Windows has been given to the users.

Now. As far as my intellectual ability is concerned, or my ability to read a post properly, I think this is a case of you needing to practice what you preach. Have a good day, indeed.

Dave Reeves

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
I understand your views but my point being that Microsoft, for whatever reasons are taking over more and more control of your computer. i am not prepared to discuss reasons. my point being that the majority of systems run ms windows for me this hasn't been a problem until window 8 where you have to have a Microsoft account to be able to install it you also installs its own cloud drive, but to name a few, there is a majority of users that have the ability to disable the cloud feature for ever 1 that can there will be at least 2 that cant. I know some members might feel that I am being picky, I can see that Microsoft are doing what they think is best for all, but in doing so we are loosing that ability of choice. Microsoft have come a long way with the windows operating platform and will always be the leader. there are some that like all the bells and whistles and there are those that don't, the ones that don't do not have a way to uninstall or disable them as they have done in previous versions. through life we all buy things and there are options available but with microsoft you have no options with windows 10

Dave Reeves

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
once again i never said that apple and Microsoft were the same. APPLE CALL THERE VERSION OF WINDOWS DIFFERENT AND BILL GATES STOLE THE IDEA AND A COPY OF THE SOFTWARE FROM APPLE . i have never mentioned what operating system supports what hardware nor am i interested,

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
for me this hasn't been a problem until window 8 where you have to have a Microsoft account to be able to install it

Actually you don't. During the install it asks you to sign in with a Microsoft Account. You can click Sign up for a Microsoft account - then at the bottom choose "Sign in with a Local Account" and just create a local account instead (like previous versions). By signing in with a Local Account, you lose all the cloud software and links.

You can then create a free Microsoft account and sign into just the Store with it - to download Apps, without signing into the whole OS.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
i have never mentioned what operating system supports what hardware nor am i interested,

Dude. I don't know if you're purposely being obtuse or what, but try to follow what I'm saying: you asked why Windows 10 wasn't shipped "complete". I'm telling you that Windows can't ever be shipped "complete" because there are too many hardware variations to test and certify. There will always be bugs and things that don't work right because all of the hardware variations cannot be tested. So Microsoft ships it out as best as they can get it internally, and rely on feedback and bug reports to "finish" it.

Also, what part of "I never said that you said Apple and Microsoft were the same" did you not understand? Again... purposely obtuse? Or...?

Christian Matthew

May 14, 2013
Visit site
The 5 most egregious miscues about Windows 10: OneDrive, dev tools, Tablet, Multiple Desk, Cortana

1. OneDrive got seriously gimped for Windows 10... How on earth did Microsoft mess this up? Here is the main gripe:
OneDrive was a thing that a person could use for cloud storage between many devices no matter the size of a person's hard drive. So... in chemistry there is a thing called a rate limiting reaction. Long story short, the reaction can only proceed by the reagent that is lowest in abundance. You can't make 100 hamburgers if you only have 50 sets of buns. You need 100. So, how does this relate?

Now, OneDrive can't sync the way it did in windows 8.1. In 8.1 it not only was a folder directory system like file explorer but it also allowed you to see all of the files plus folders and decide if you wanted to have the content actually "local" to your current device.

Typing from my Surface pro 3 I only have 128 gigs so I literally can't sync any of my OneDrive folders because it is an all or none approach. I either sync the whole folder or I don't get to even see it on my local device. And the individual control over what is synced for either files or folders is gone. It is the entire folder or nothing. That is a NO GO.

It is HORRIBLE for so many reasons. One, because I can't choose to have a folder there to view and act as a potential bucket to place something like a PSD or movie and then say, "hey I need to free up some space and make that not "available offline" to release the held space for storage.

OneDrive used to be amazing and now it is like womp womp. Microsoft please do something about this ASAP.

2. Browsers Wars continue. Edge... Edge is gorgeous and works amazing well. Guess what Microsoft. You forgot to change the ugly duckling under the hood. I am a developer and I HATE and refuse to use IE / Edge developer tools. Nothing. I mean nothing has changed here. lol how did that happend? You probably spent millions changing and developing out the Edge browser but didn't think to redo the dev tools?

As a developer I simply can't use IE dev tools... and make no mistake this is IE dev tools. I can't call them Edge because not one thing has changed regarding those dev tools.

This is a case where I would implore MSFT to just go ahead and copy Chrome's tools because they are the best. Period. If you can't beat them join them.

To finish this complaint off let me first explain an example of why I hate the dev tools so much and then explain why this actually does have an impact on browser usage.

Let me take you to the dev tools or F12 inspect element. When you get to the DOM source you have an area of the dom on the left and the class elements of the dom on the right. You can't copy and paste anything from the elements. Meaning you can't dev and then copy your class and paste it to a SASS or LESS css file. Wow, Microsoft seriously??? And yes I did create a uservoice for this as a few other people did but amazingly your UserVoices seem suspiciously curated to be frank.

Why is this bad for browser usage. Well, when you have an entire Dev community that knows about computing in general all bashing IE dev tools and IE in general it doesn't bode well for the mind set of anyone hearing the complaint. Oh what do you use? Chrome. What do a lot of people do now? Download chrome and stick with that.

Yes I am saying that you have an entire dev community that still hates IE / Edge and until you do something with the dev tools that will never change.

And let me be frank... IE / Edge dev tools aren't just behind Chrome, they are last and I mean last to even the Safari browser. Everyone has better dev tools than IE / Edge has. And until you change the dev tools to the 21st century I won't stop calling Edge ... IE. Can't put lipstick on a pig to make it look any better.

3. Tablet mode. I don't want to complain about this but I have to agree with some complaints of others. You stripped perhaps too much away from Windows 8. For one when you're in tablet you are very Forced to just be in going. I don't necessarily agree with that but there is an obvious way out by me swiping the notifications center and choosing desktop mode. Just seems like tablet mode should go back to Windows 8 mode with the full windowed Start Screen. I don't get what people had such a big deal about that for. With that being said the way it handled, Windows 8.1 i mean, the tablet start screen worked very well in my opinion.

4. Multiple desktop seems like a wonky, dare I say,reminiscent of an emotional crisis upon trying to pull up and use them in any meaningful way. It really does feel like Apple OS X has done this a little better and I wish it were easier and more intuitive to use. Perhaps this is just a complaint and I need getting used to but the reality is this should be revisited and perhaps tweaked a bit.

5. Cortana and the animation to get to her is way too dramatic. I wish it was almost embedded and placed into the start menu and not some racing animation that pulls up every time I want to use the Cortana service.

Overall Windows 10 is amazing but these are 5 areas of immediate improvements that I would like to see Microsoft address.

Your thoughts.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: The 5 most egregious miscues about Windows 10: OneDrive, dev tools, Tablet, Multiple Desk, Corta

Didn't you already complain about these things in a number of other threads?

Typing from my Surface pro 3 I only have 128 gigs so I literally can't sync any of my OneDrive folders because it is an all or none approach. I either sync the whole folder or I don't get to even see it on my local device. And the individual control over what is synced for either files or folders is gone. It is the entire folder or nothing. That is a NO GO.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you here, but you can choose which individual folders are sync'ed; it is not an all of OneDrive or nothing thing. Simply right-click on the OneDrive icon in the system tray and select "Settings". Go to the "Choose Folders" tab, and click the "Choose Folders" button. A dialog box will open allowing you to configure which of your OneDrive folders are sync'ed to your PC.

You can get to the same dialog box by opening the Start Menu, selecting "All apps", and clicking on "OneDrive".

I really have a hard time commiserating with you on this one, it's an amazingly simple task to open OneDrive in your web browser of choice and see the totality of your OneDrive files there if they're not all being sync'ed to your PC. Further, Microsoft didn't arbitrarily take it away; they took it away for technical reasons, and they have stated that similar functionality will return to OneDrive. Plus, there are instructions elsewhere on this forum showing how to map OneDrive as a mapped drive letter. So... I mean... there is all that.

I am a developer and I HATE and refuse to use IE / Edge developer tools.

This is very much a "to each their own" thing. I use the IE developer tools all the time (and yes, I am also a developer) and I refuse to use Chrome. FireFox is my primary browser, but if I need developer tools, I fire up IE. I will say that I have only given the Edge developer tools a brief glance.

Multiple desktop seems like a wonky, dare I say,reminiscent of an emotional crisis upon trying to pull up and use them in any meaningful way.

Wow, I find the virtual desktop support in Windows 10 to be awesome. Again, probably another "to each their own" thing.

I mapped the Windows+Tab keystrokes as a macro on my Microsoft mouse's scrollwheel click, so with one click of my mouse I can see all my windows running and manage virtual desktops.

I don't use Cortana and while my laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Radius convertible, I haven't use it as a tablet enough to comment on tablet mode, other than to say that my laptop supports it.

Dave Reeves

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
with respect if Linux and apple can do it why not Microsoft, i don't expect it to be perfect but at least make it more reliable before they launch it most of the posts are complaining about reliability or the lack of it i am aware that there have been great leaps in the hard ware departments but also with each release of windows to begin with has been less stable than the last there will always be incompatibility between software and device drivers. all we want it a reliable platform that we can build up trust with, which is where Microsoft have failed his personally this is a replication as with vista i know yu cant please all the people all the time but it would appear that microst can please anyone i would like to se reliability

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
first of all you need to get your facts right, Microsoft didn't sell the dos to IBM, they offered it to IBM and IBM dismissed it and programmed there own under the IBM label, bill gates bought the dos from an individual who didn't know how valuable it was, and lastly bill gates didn't invent windows at all, he was employed by apple and stole it from the, revers engineered it because apple didn't protect it by copyright so labeled his version Microsoft windows, apple were the fist to introduce apple windows, as far as Linux goes
there are at least 60% of companies in the UK that use this as a server front end, i work in the it industry most f my commercial customers are on Linux, and not just to avoid the cost of microsofts seats, but there are not so many viruses or hackers as there are for windows, so before you go opening your mouth and putting post down maybe you should check your facts. and by the way i am a certified Microsoft engineer

Good thing History isn't part of the exams...

eddieDOTexe

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Start menu/screen doesn't even sync anymore. It didn't even try to keep your old 8.1 layout it literally just threw your custom icons into their own unsorted group.
So far the only upside to 10 from 8.1 is modern apps run in a window now.
Aside from that, its a step backward on the tablet front and in some cases like stated above, the desktop front.

And then OneDrive..
But I don't need to say anything about that.

Last edited:

Christian Matthew

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: The 5 most egregious miscues about Windows 10: OneDrive, dev tools, Tablet, Multiple Desk, Corta

Everything you just said is kinda weird? Have you ever used Windows 8.1? I am not crazy here I am stating an absolute fact of how Windows 10 works now.
Again I will repeat what I have said.
I either sync the whole folder or I don't get to even see it on my local device. And the individual control over what is synced for either files or folders is gone. It is the entire folder or nothing. That is a NO GO.\

I think you missed entirely what my point is and should reread the entire thing. It is gimped there is no if ands or buts about it.

IE dev tools suck. Period. try copy and pasting code. You can't. end of story.

Virtual desktops. perhaps I need to learn a bit more about them and get used to them but from first glance not that great.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
with respect if Linux and apple can do it why not Microsoft

Really? After yelling at me that Microsoft and Apple are not the same when I explained how Apple can do it but Microsoft can't, you're going to post that? Honestly, I think you're playing games now.

Nevertheless, let me reiterate what I said earlier: Apple supports a finite amount of hardware; they manufacture their systems themselves, so they can pick and choose what hardware they support. Because of that, they CAN have every system that a new OS update supports in a test lab somewhere, whereas Microsoft cannot. So they CAN test their OS updates on every combination of hardware that the OS is expected to support.

i would like to se reliability

I now have 8 Windows 10 systems in my immediate circle; two are mine, one is my stepson's, three are my buddy's, and two are on the test bench at work. Not a single one of them has been anything but completely reliable. Sure, Edge tends to slow down on ad-heavy sites due to the lack of an ad blocker, but other than that I've had nothing but reliability out of Windows 10.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Have you ever used Windows 8.1?

Windows 8.1 was my exclusive desktop on both home and work machines since the day it was released.

I either sync the whole folder or I don't get to even see it on my local device.

Your language is unclear; when you say "the whole folder" are you referring to the whole OneDrive folder? Or one of many individual folders within OneDrive?

baandoptager

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Oki! People!

MAJOR ISSUE!!!! You cannot extract multiple .zip folders in Windows 10. And you cannot drag fonts straight from a .Zip into the fonts folder. What kind of operating system is this????? For kids!

I am tired of this !!!!! :angry::unhappysweat::unhappy:

Christian Matthew

May 14, 2013
Visit site

I am saying an entire folder within onedrive. it doesn't offline sync or unsync folders and files. you either have to sync the entire folder or nothing. can't get the folder and then say you want the contents inside to be unsynched locally.

Again, it was the feature when you right clicked on a file and or folder and said "sync offline" or unsync offline... meaning... that it would be visible always but not actually using your storage unless you wanted it to be synched offline. i.e. actually local to your device.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
MAJOR ISSUE!!!! You cannot extract multiple .zip folders in Windows 10.

I honestly didn't know Windows Explorer could do that to begin with. It's pretty easy to do with 3rd party utilities such as WinZip, WinRAR, and 7Zip

And you cannot drag fonts straight from a .Zip into the fonts folder.

You're right - however this is a minor inconvenience. Just extract the TTF files and then select them all and right click - Install. You can use the Feedback app to let Microsoft know you'd like to be able to extract a TTF from a ZIP directly to the Fonts folder.

What kind of operating system is this????? For kids!

While I understand your frustration, I think you're being over dramatic on fairly minor issues. Simply let MS know how they can improve things. Windows 10 will be evolving over the next several years with enhancements, bug fixes, and new features.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss