Ten disappointing things about Windows 10 :(

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: The 5 most egregious miscues about Windows 10: OneDrive, dev tools, Tablet, Multiple Desk, Corta

I am saying an entire folder within onedrive. it doesn't offline sync or unsync folders and files. you either have to sync the entire folder or nothing. can't get the folder and then say you want the contents inside to be unsynched locally.

Again, it was the feature when you right clicked on a file and or folder and said "sync offline" or unsync offline... meaning... that it would be visible always but not actually using your storage unless you wanted it to be synched offline. i.e. actually local to your device.

This is a significant issue, and I believe Microsoft is working on changing OneDrive to accommodate this. If you check the Feedback app for Offline OneDrive, you'll see two issues asking the same thing with over 2000 upvotes each. Add your voice and upvote.

Edit: There is also a UserVoice on this: https://windows.uservoice.com/forum...n-advanced-option-to-restore-showing-all-oned

Edit2: BTW - you can semi-restore this same functionality of offline OneDrive by mapping your OneDrive to a network drive letter. Note: you have to be online for this to work... http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...w-map-onedrive-drive-letter-windows-10-a.html

MMJTX

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
I just upgraded yesterday and all seemed fine. This morning, the screen is stuck on the option to select a keyboard language. I had to unplug my HP touchscreen to restart, but it gets stuck in the same place every time. Can anyone here help me resolve this?

Abhishek Jagushte

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Do anyone know about the error FAT_FILE_SYSTEM (fastfile.SYS)? I just got it on my PC saying it must restart to continue and also turned my antivirus off automatically

baandoptager

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I honestly didn't know Windows Explorer could do that to begin with. It's pretty easy to do with 3rd party utilities such as WinZip, WinRAR, and 7Zip

XP did it, Vista did it, W7 did it, 8.1 did it (natively).... but now i feel like i own a 1700$ ipad. :(

Pomonabill220

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
I am primarily a desktop user.
Tried win 10 and spent 2 days trying to get things working... settings that I need are buried, getting to control panel and other necessary settings is a pain.
Yes, I know that since 8, tablet/smarphones/mobile devices is the target for these OS's, but some people still use a desktop!
A few BIG gripes I have is:
1) when I installed 10, ALL of the items on my start menu had shortcuts generated and placed on my desktop! I had TONS of icons! A REAL mess! Yes, I know I can delete them, but why even screw up my win 7 shortcuts? The install didn't ask me to create them, it just went ahead and did it.... fail!

2) NONE of my auto start programs would start... NONE OF THEM. Yes, I know the security is supposed to be better, but really???? I searched and searched, and tried and tried all the suggestions from many websites, and NONE of them worked, so I dumped 10 and restored my backup of 7.

So for all you high level tablet users that could care less about the fine details of tweaking your OS, 10 is for you. For all of use that NEED to change things to get our systems working, 10 is a NO GO!

There are alot more things that I find ridiculously difficult and bad in 10, but they just make me angry.
For all of you that are going to pick my post apart, why not offer HELP instead of criticizing the poster?

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
...getting to control panel and other necessary settings is a pain....

Desktop user here -
It's two clicks: Right click on the Start "flag" and it's in the popup menu... Same number of clicks as it has always been (except in 8.0).

You can also create a shortcut on the desktop the old fashioned way using control.exe in the Windows/System32 folder as the target.

baandoptager

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Has anybody noticed that opening pictures opens 2 sets of windows first time you do it???

I am re-installing, rolling back to Windows 8.1 tomorrow, i can't deal with this anymore. Windows 10 is a joke!

theguy08

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
No that's not the take away from this... not all of this anyhow. Yes I like Windows 7 because it works. I WANTED Windows 10 because of the lighter use of resources, promised faster experience, more compatibility with new hardware and yes I wanted Cortana to whisper sweet nothings into my ear late at night. The problem is all of the problems with it that they ignored to rush a release with the mentality of "oh well we will fix that later with an update." Here's our OS. It's broken, but use it anyway as best you can until we get around to fixing it. Sorry, no.

The troubling thing is unless they seriously overhaul this P.O.S. in the next couple years they will be stopping support for Windows 7. lol. Then what are my options? Windows 8? Microsoft themselves have stated that was a mistake. I guess I'll have to hope MS gets it's act together and fixes things over the next few months, meanwhile not screwing the thing up even more with their attempts. Oh, and hope that they don't turn it into a giant money grab, charging you for functionality that should have come with the OS standard (pay money for a DVD player that only plays DVDs, a technology that's been out for over 10 years? wtf?)

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes I like Windows 7 because it works. I WANTED Windows 10 because of the lighter use of resources, promised faster experience, more compatibility with new hardware

All that you get with Windows 8.1. On top you are getting an non-compromised desktop and tablet experience with Windows 8.1. Once you have installed Windows 7 like start menu in Windows 8.1, the desktop part was for all intents and purposes equal to Windows 7 with few improvements. And you had the choice to switch between modern UI and desktop UI at any time as they were cleanly separated - not like the abomination Windows 10 is right now.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I am primarily a desktop user.
Tried win 10 and spent 2 days trying to get things working... settings that I need are buried, getting to control panel and other necessary settings is a pain.
Yes, I know that since 8, tablet/smarphones/mobile devices is the target for these OS's, but some people still use a desktop!

Actually, Windows 10 is a joke for tablets, too. I installed it on my HP Stream 7 and the ONLY thing keeping me from rolling it back is that I'd like to monitor the changes to see if it ever reaches the point where I'd dare install it on my Surface Pro 3. I'm sorry all you Win10 lovers, but this OS is currently a joke to me. I could not function daily with Windows 10 the way it is now, especially tablet mode. My Surface Pro 3 is my workhorse. In my office, it's docked to a large touchscreen, keyboard and mouse. I'd say its time in both modes (desktop and tablet) is split 50/50. Desktop mode seems like it would just be an adjustment period, but MS absolutely destroyed the beauty of the touchscreen & gestures system from 8.1 for tablets. In that regard, 8.1 was amazing -- once I learned & adjusted to it, I never wanted Windows 7 back. Right now, there is nothing pushing me to even attempt to make Windows 10 work in the same way. The amount of time I already waste just switching between apps in tablet mode is ridiculous compared to a quick swipe in from the left side in 8.1. How the heck is that an UPGRADE?! Then there's the loss of OneDrive functionality. I should NOT need to map it as a network drive to get back the placeholders (which SHOULD have been included as an advanced option -- and yes, I've already upvoted this suggestion to MS). MS just killed my only reason to use OneDrive over any other cloud storage service with that move (and the simultaneous dropping of the OneDrive metro-touch-friendly app). Most tablets don't have terabytes of local storage to sync an entire OneDrive account, so why on earth would MS expect us sync it all? At least if you're going to do that, why not give us a quick link to open everything that's not synced from within File Explorer. But nope, you get File Explorer and that's that - if MS thought that people were confused about files not stored locally, wait until they can't FIND some of their files because they aren't stored locally and don't realize that those files are still in the cloud! HA. MS to users: if you want to see everything you've used that free 1TB of storage for, go dig around for a link to your OneDrive stuff on the web. It feels like a big fat middle finger from MS, as power users are now reduced to the same level as the mindless masses who missed their beloved "start" button (sorry to those who liked the start button, but I felt no need to resurrect it).

Nope, sorry. Windows 10 needs much, much more time in the oven. It could be fantastic if they'd actually listen to all the suggestions about tablet mode, which IMO, is the biggest problem right now. Until then, my opinion is that it's a public beta masquerading as a full release. Given that we have a whole year to take that free upgrade, I'm taking my time. I am sincerely hoping that they listen to people's complaints and clean up tablet mode and quite possibly bring back some of those super-helpful gestures that they canned from 8.1 (back/forward swiping in Edge would be wonderful, too). If they do, I'll wholeheartedly take that upgrade on my SP3. For now, I'll wait and see what shakes out of this public beta -- I'm sure many patches are coming no matter what.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: The 5 most egregious miscues about Windows 10: OneDrive, dev tools, Tablet, Multiple Desk, Corta

I am saying an entire folder within onedrive.

Yeah, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant you could only sync your entire OneDrive folder. So yeah, you're right.

That said, I still don't see why this is induces such a rage-gasm. Sync your most used folder or two, and use the OneDrive website to manage un-synced content. Or, follow the directions posted elsewhere to map your OneDrive to a drive letter.

And remember, Microsoft themselves said that similar functionality would be returned after they get it all re-tooled and whatnot.

themadpoet1

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
My main problem with Windows 10 is simply that the stock apps are *bad*. Edge browser can't keep up with video playback. I've seen this on more than one computer. It feels like the internet connection is slow and the video is pausing and not keeping up, but I have confirmed it is in fact the web browser. Videos are practically unwatchable.

The photos app is horrible. My photo collection is entirely in disarray and I can't fix it because there is no customization here. Microsoft is really big on arranging your collection for you, using the photo's meta-data to get the date of the photo, and then sticking it in albums, but half of the dates are wrong on the photos and I can't find any of them.

The calendar and email apps are blah. The live tile doesn't seem to work on the calendar app either. Neither app are really as good as the ones in 8.1.

Groove Music is very lame. It's basically similar to Xbox Music, except that the artist images are round, the app uses theme colors, the navigation buttons look like cheap pencil sketches and there's no way to update missing album artwork. Some of the artist images are wrong and most of them are crappy, pixelated photos. There's absolutely zero cool factor to using a music player with that name either.

Quin61

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
One think that irritates me most is.. design.
White title bars - I mean, really? Windows 98 had more usable title bars for christ's sake. Easy solution here: add an option to change the damn color and color of the text. Option to change opacity and add blur wouldn't be bad too.

Mail app - yeah, I know simpler, the better.. right? Well yes and no.
Why in the seven hells are contacts in separate app?? The calendar too but thats not that horrible.

Icon of trash bin - why? Just why?

Otherwise it is pretty good, just add some design customization options.

baandoptager

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting A YOUTUBE channel on all things wrong with Windows 10.I currently have almost 40 videos i wanna post! I'll invite people soon.

I am so infuriated with Microsoft for this scandalous piece of software. I won't back down. I've rolled back to 8.1 and i could not be happier!!!!

baandoptager

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
...does that mean you're going to stop posting in this thread?

Oki, i get u feel that I'm a hater or something like that, but no reason to hate back on me for wanting MS to be better? Short answer: Probably not. But I can tell you that I'm doing the videos because I wanna show people these issues, how illogical and not forward they are. I also wanna get of the verbal, the misunderstandings, give people a chance to just sit back and see those problems instead of hearing me blab about it. I will also make sure to be constructive and come with ideas of how to make it better.

So.... 😃 cheer up dood!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium