Ten disappointing things about Windows 10 :(

Jean_Philippe VERT

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Everything including the start screen? I never disliked it but just never used it. Microsoft Edge is arguably the best browser on Windows 10, faster, Bluetooth is easier to turn off and on ( I never bothered with we blows 8.1 since it was hidden in settings), the start menu*, Cortana which is better then other things like it ( Siri and Google Now) changing WiFi networks, action center, calculator app ( I use it a lot and now it has other features like finding out how many ounces is a gram or etc) and a better UI imo. I never disliked windows 8 but windows 10 is so much better

* I never complained about it not there in Windows 8 but I like that it's back though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edge is a no go on tablet. True for bluetooth, but I did the setup once and forgot it after. Same for wifi. I don't have Cortana: French Canada doesn't seem to be English or French for MS. W8.1 start menu is perfect for tablet, never really used it on desktop. Notification center is useless to me: yeah I get notifications then I can't do anything with them. Or the notification center does "eat" and forget notifications from some applications (AMD gaming evolved for example). Calculator is nice but I have to press the "Calc" button 3 times on my keyboard to start it.

Talldog

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I wish I had never upgraded in the first place. After experiencing the new features like shared OneDrives in File Explorer, the pop-up OSK in desktop apps, windowed modern apps, the Action Center and Cortana, I can't bring myself to roll back even though it's buggy as hell.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
All the hidden menus and swiping in Windows 8 was a big problem for most people. I've had to support it at work and with friends and family at home. They could never get used to all the hidden menus which is why they wanted the start menu back so bad. This is even on dedicated tablets but even much more on laptops and desktops. I learned it and got used to it but now that I use Windows 10 I don't miss the charm bar or swipe left to right to switch apps. If you have a lot of apps open you have to do a lot of swiping to get the program you want and then sometimes I would swipe too fast and pass it up and then have to go all the way through all the open apps again. And that swip from right and the back left to get the list of open apps was so cumbersome. I much prefer seeing a whole screen task view than the way Windows 8 handled app switching.

I think Microsoft did the most user research in developing Windows 10 than any other version of Windows. This leads me to think that most people didn't like how Windows 8 handled things for tablets or desk tops. They're trying to please the touch and mouse users and they're never going to make everyone happy. I think that the most productive people just learn to adjust and move on.

I bet most of these people had android or ios tablets and had no trouble using gestures on those devices but with gestures in Windows 8 people lost the ability to learn and adapt......

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The main point I have is MS did not have to nuke the tablet experience to appease desktop users. 2 modes desktop users never have to use the tablet mode. Tablet mode at least needs a few options that we can enable to have it act more like Win 8.1

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
The main point I have is MS did not have to nuke the tablet experience to appease desktop users. 2 modes desktop users never have to use the tablet mode. Tablet mode at least needs a few options that we can enable to have it act more like Win 8.1

This. A thousand times this. W10 feels like a virtual punishment beating for buying into Bulmer's claim that touch devices were the future. Now MS is clearly depreciating the touch UI in the same manner they did with Media Centre, our devices are on the fast route to planned obsolescence. Thanks MS. Message received, we know when we've out stayed our welcome.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site

I totally agree. Tablet mode is TERRIBLE. They've thrown away all those innovative, slick and stylish graphics and gestures that we got with W8.1 and now it's like using a flippin' ANDROID tablet. YUCK!!!

They've fixed something that wasn't broken. Pretty much nobody complained about W8.1 in tablet mode (apart from the Charms bar). W8.1 got a pasting because it was so rubbish in desktop mode. W10 has done a great job of fixing desktop mode, but gone and ruined tablet mode! All they had to do was replace the Charms with the Action Centre. Everything else was fine.

Why??? This is so frustrating!! They've done the same to the Phone version as well. :cry:

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if I can roll my eyes any harder than I just did.

Much rolling was done post Zune, post WP7, post Media Centre. It didn't help. Those land fill sites just kept filling up. We have to just hope someone gives Satya a better paid job to wreck something else so we can hope for better in W11.

davidofmidnight

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
It's not "too soon".... I've been messing around with it and it's way more stable then windows 7 or Windows 8 at launch imo. I also upgraded at launch from Vista to 7 and then 7 to 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On desktops, it's probably fine for most people. But from the complaints from tablet users, it seems it was in fact "too soon" for release.

I do think that Microsoft went really stupid by making it one OS instead of realizing that desktops and tablets and phones are different devices. It's the Swiss Army Knife of operating systems - it can do a lot of things, but can't do anything well.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
We have to just hope someone gives Satya a better paid job to wreck something else so we can hope for better in W11.

Please. Windows 10 works great for me... on five machines of my own. Out of all the installations of Windows 10 and all the rave reviews its getting, you people with all your "problems" (which I'm not convinced aren't related to your specific hardware or installations) are so far in the minority it's not even funny.

The *only* reported bug I've been able to reproduce on any one of my machines (or the three machines to which I'm peripheral that aren't mine) is the Edge slow-downs on ad-heavy sites. Most of what's actually been reported in this thread is from sad-faces with their diapers in a pinch because Microsoft changed things and now they're different.

The funny thing is that any *actual* problems are being addressed by Microsoft more aggressively and more quickly than they have with any other prior version of Windows. Windows 10 hasn't been out for a month, and look at how many updates Microsoft has already pushed.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
You know what... Just roll back to Windows 8.1 be done with it.

I'm sticking with 10 on my desktops and Surface Pro 3. Typical human beings moan, moan and complain. Not ONE person is forcing anyone to use Windows 10. There's always the iPad (Better get a 2Gb Air 2 otherwise features will be removed in due course) or a Chromebook that features 16Gb of eMMC storage (With prices rising as they can spot fools from miles away).

Enjoy

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
You know what... Just roll back to Windows 8.1 be done with it.

I'm sticking with 10 on my desktops and Surface Pro 3. Typical human beings moan, moan and complain. Not ONE person is forcing anyone to use Windows 10. There's always the iPad (Better get a 2Gb Air 2 otherwise features will be removed in due course) or a Chromebook that features 16Gb of eMMC storage (With prices rising as they can spot fools from miles away).

Enjoy

Lame I know. I was bored with MS Paint.

zG3khah.png

VARUNGUPTA16061992

May 26, 2014
Visit site
They could have retained Start Screen and get Win10 start menu for desktop. Nways it is gone. We may see improvement in near future in tablet mode.. Insiders can keep pressure on same during TH2 development

But what I don't like is new apps.. Why it takes so much time to open calculator or calendar or photos. My photos open faster on Windows Photo Viewer then on photos app. They should get rid of this new apps and get new faster systems. It's frustrating when apps like Calculator takes time to load.

Pond86

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
My only two issues are all pinned taskbar icons flash when interacting with the Recycle Bin (which according to MS Support is a new feature of 10, to tell you your intacting with your PC.) I fail to see the benefit of this feature and its annoying as hell, (tempted to backtrack.) Also Spotify doesnt seem to want to pin to takbar or start.

iOS Gravity

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I disagree. I've had to restore my computer since it had a corrupted boot drive, but I'm itching for that Windows download to pop up again. It's way better than Windows 7 and 8. Features are only gonna get better and it hasn't even been a month since its release so give it time. Like other OS's it will improve with time.

Shiells

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I dislike that Windows 10 doesn't allow you to decide which updates are installed. The reason for taking away that freedom to decide for yourself is horrible.

Also, I use a touchscreen laptop. So, immediately I found that Windows 10 was harder to use than Windows 8.1. I don't have a tablet, I don't have a non-touchscreen device. I want to use my touchscreen notebook like a touchscreen notebook, not like a tablet or non-touchscreen PC. Again, horrible change.

Another problem that I found very quickly is that Windows 10 caused my computer to shutdown instead of sleeping. Reading through the forums, I found evidence that this problem started in beta testing for some users. However, after over and hour-and-a-half on the telephone with Microsoft and HP, the problem was not solved. In fact, their support reps just acted like they'd never heard of such an issue, despite the fact that there were new threads all over the forums about the same exact issue.

And I've heard that with Windows 10, it's easier for Windows employees to access your personal information. Not something that I find attractive.

I went back to Windows 8.1. I may go back to Macintosh.

ikhfa

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8.1 simply worked for me. Looking at how I loved Windows 8.1, I saw promise in Win 10. But Windows 10 gives me problems. Today, I can't update (cumulative). It said that the update was unsuccessful hence they rolled back to the last update. Then when I restarted, the Windows Update showed that I need to update the same update again. The whole thing is a mess. My son's Fifa 14 game stuttered after the very first upgrade. My wife's printer wouldn't install. I have to agree, this version is half-baked and not aesthetically pleasing. Worse is the fact that the controls are non-intuitive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb