Ten disappointing things about Windows 10 :(

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Windows 10 is the new Vista.Even in the current public release, things go wrong, design patterns are many of them horrible and badly positioned, the start menu tiles most of the times are static, start menu all apps section is a total mess, tablet functionality is again a bad joke, totally not optimized for touch. Text is so small on 1080p on desktop apps on a tablet 10.1" screen that you get a lot of headaches.
One day the calendar tile was showing the date from two days ago :))) wtf?? people tile is never live although most of my contacts have photos, onedrive no longer has container folders, you either sync the ones you want or go on the website-totally rubbish in this way, lockscreen and login screen??? why both screens??just why?? when you could have a login screen with all the info needed. Update mechanism gets broken on it's own, not being then able to update apps from the store. Shall I continue?? With all the fuss about windows 8/8.1, I've never had any issues with it, and it ran just fine on my old surface 2 RT.

Windows 10 is far from Vista.....Vista is crap while 10 is good

My laptop has a TN 1080p screen and it was exactly the same in 10 as 8.1 text size so maybe you're just blind or becoming blind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 is far from Vista.....Vista is crap while 10 is good

My laptop has a TN 1080p screen and it was exactly the same in 10 as 8.1 text size so maybe you're just blind or becoming blind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I was indeed blind when I decided to upgrade to this. If I think better if indeed far from Vista, it's Millenium +Vista all together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
That's a personal preference. I find the buttons to be of entirely adequate size and I find no difference between the address bar on the top or the bottom.

Again, personal preference. I like it better in the lower-left corner; that's where I'm used to it, and where I hold the tablet so it's a quick thumb-tap away.

You're correct, but there is a 4 stop button when you open the Action Center by swiping in from the right. I guess if any of the 4 stops are absolutely unacceptable to you, you've got a point.

Swipe in from the left. Ta da!

Another personal preference. I'd rather choose which app I run next than have Windows arbitrarily choose it for me.

You're absolutely wrong here. Open up the All Apps menu and choose "File Explorer" from under the "Windows System" group. You can even pin it to your Start Screen.

Again, you're wrong. Swipe in from the left, tap the "Tablet mode" button. Works perfectly, and is easy to boot.

Sorry, man, but I really would like to know how you hold a tablet. Make us a favor and take a picture hehe.

Because everything I say was not personal preference, it's just pure science. Pure observation of our limitations.

It's about how far we can reach with ordinary size of hands (ok, maybe you have really big hands of fingers, but it's not normal). If we hold the tablet at the sides with two hands, reach the top of a tablet is really a hard work. Same for some of center areas.

So you have to design every app, every function or even the whole system thinking in this limitation.

Edge x Internet Explorer 11 Modern App is the most easy thing to demonstrate this. The second option for keyboard maybe shut down every discussion about it too.

Windows 10 for tablets it's like drive a real car with a keyboard... It's not impossible, but it's really unnatural and uncomfortable.

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I was very comfortable with Win7 and skipped the Win8/8.1 experience because of poor user feedback and the fact that it seemed to be change for the sake of change if you were using a non-touch machine.

Lol. Windows 8 desktop is precise rendition of the Windows 7 desktop. You only had to install a Windows 7 like start menu. The desktop was barely changed with Windows 8 and the touch interface was just an addition. Point in case with Windows 8 you could switch between desktop and touch UI, which is not possible anymore in Windows 10 - because it is the same damn UI now.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I spent an interesting Labor Day weekend. The family and I were traveling and away from our Xboxes, so the tablets we brought with us ended up being our primary gaming devices. We had a mix of devices - Windows 10 tablets, Android tablets, and iPads. After gaming on these things exclusively for a weekend, I've reached a point of completely despising the Win 8.x edge swipe gestures. (And my family agrees.....)
Actually, let me clarify. What we hate is the OS-level (i.e. systemwide), single-finger edge swipe gestures. The one exception is the top down edge swipe to bring up notifications on Android, iOS, and Windows phone because that specific gesture tends to be hard to do accidentally.
But in playing any number of games using virtual thumbstics in the lower left and right corners, it's way too easy to have the thumbs too close to the edge and accidentally trigger the edge swipe rather than the thumbstick. This is a major problem. The edge swipe gestures are "overloaded" - The exact same movement triggers a completely different action depending on exactly where your finger is. And there's no significant "buffer zone"; a small difference in location completely changes the context of the meaning of a movement. Near the edge and it's an edge swipe. A little farther away (and that's a nebulous defintion) and it's a thumbstick move.
Sorry, system level edge swipe gestures lose. The really bad thing is that on Windows 10, there's no reason for havng the left/right edge swipes. (The task bar [actually button bar - it's just like the on screen button bar on my Lumia 635] buttons cover the functionality]. So seriously, the left/right edge swipes need to go......)

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
From things that we had on W8:

Is there a way to choose not put any PIN or account password to unblock screen?

Windows 10 is probably the biggedt downgrade in OS history.

If I put W8 back, new modern apps probably will not work, right?

I spent an interesting Labor Day weekend. The family and I were traveling and away from our Xboxes, so the tablets we brought with us ended up being our primary gaming devices. We had a mix of devices - Windows 10 tablets, Android tablets, and iPads. After gaming on these things exclusively for a weekend, I've reached a point of completely despising the Win 8.x edge swipe gestures. (And my family agrees.....)
Actually, let me clarify. What we hate is the OS-level (i.e. systemwide), single-finger edge swipe gestures. The one exception is the top down edge swipe to bring up notifications on Android, iOS, and Windows phone because that specific gesture tends to be hard to do accidentally.
But in playing any number of games using virtual thumbstics in the lower left and right corners, it's way too easy to have the thumbs too close to the edge and accidentally trigger the edge swipe rather than the thumbstick. This is a major problem. The edge swipe gestures are "overloaded" - The exact same movement triggers a completely different action depending on exactly where your finger is. And there's no significant "buffer zone"; a small difference in location completely changes the context of the meaning of a movement. Near the edge and it's an edge swipe. A little farther away (and that's a nebulous defintion) and it's a thumbstick move.
Sorry, system level edge swipe gestures lose. The really bad thing is that on Windows 10, there's no reason for havng the left/right edge swipes. (The task bar [actually button bar - it's just like the on screen button bar on my Lumia 635] buttons cover the functionality]. So seriously, the left/right edge swipes need to go......)

Sorry, but you haver to be kidding. Left and right swypes are the only good thing that left from Windows 8. Its a tablet, not a smartphone.

Theres no way to accidentally hit it man. I dont know what you are doing wrong. Its the best and more intuitive way to manipulate tablets, its Genius. Top and down are really stupid approach.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, man, but I really would like to know how you hold a tablet. Make us a favor and take a picture hehe.

I'll take a picture at some point, but left hand cradles lower left corner, right hand cradles lower right corner. Left thumb taps lower-left corner for Start Menu and to swipe in from left for app switching. Right thumb swipes in from right to get Action Center. If I need to tap something in the center of the screen, or at the top, I move my right hand (usually) and use my right thumb or first finger, depending.

I mean... it's not rocket science, here. To get to the Start screen, I simply tap the lower-left Start button with my thumb instead of swiping in from the right and tapping the Start button in the Charms bar. To switch apps, I simply swipe in from the left with my thumb and tap the app preview on screen instead of swiping in just a little bit from the left and tapping the app preview in the App bar.

If you can't figure that out, I mean... I doubt a picture will help. It's just... grab the tablet, and tap the Start button with your thumb. Swipe in from the left with your thumb. Swipe in from the right with your thumb. Use your fingers to tap things on screen.

It's that easy.

It's not impossible, but it's really unnatural and uncomfortable.

Nah. But it is different. Maybe you're one of those people who don't take to change well?

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I bet most of these people had android or ios tablets and had no trouble using gestures on those devices but with gestures in Windows 8 people lost the ability to learn and adapt......

All you have to do is tell people Win 8.1 is a book, use it like a book and it should click with people after a few mins. Win 10 is like a chisel and hammer. The book like GUI of Win 8.1 flows so much better for tablets it is not even close.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Has nothing to do with personal preference

When you have one person saying "this doesn't work for me" and another saying "this works perfectly for me" it's ALL personal preference. It's NOTHING BUT personal preference.

A button at the bottom is therefore uncomfortable to reach.

Dude, come on. "Uncomfortable" implies personal preference, because what is uncomfortable to one person is completely comfortable to another. There are few words which rely more on personal preference in this context than does "uncomfortable".

And then there comes the loss of the complete charm-bar functionality on top of this.

The Charms bar was a nonsensical pile of donkey waste. At no point during my Windows 8/8.1/10 "tour of duty" have I ever used the Charms bar, much less thought, "this task would be so much easier if only there was a Charms bar."

See that? Personal preference. You like it, I don't. For you, it was great. For me, it was pointless. So... ultimately... this has EVERYTHING to do with personal preference. Even the title of the thread - "Ten disappointing things about Windows 10" - is all about personal preference.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I'll take a picture at some point, but left hand cradles lower left corner, right hand cradles lower right corner. Left thumb taps lower-left corner for Start Menu and to swipe in from left for app switching. Right thumb swipes in from right to get Action Center. If I need to tap something in the center of the screen, or at the top, I move my right hand (usually) and use my right thumb or first finger, depending.

I mean... it's not rocket science, here. To get to the Start screen, I simply tap the lower-left Start button with my thumb instead of swiping in from the right and tapping the Start button in the Charms bar. To switch apps, I simply swipe in from the left with my thumb and tap the app preview on screen instead of swiping in just a little bit from the left and tapping the app preview in the App bar.

If you can't figure that out, I mean... I doubt a picture will help. It's just... grab the tablet, and tap the Start button with your thumb. Swipe in from the left with your thumb. Swipe in from the right with your thumb. Use your fingers to tap things on screen.

It's that easy.

Nah. But it is different. Maybe you're one of those people who don't take to change well?

Yes, I don't like change too much. I think MS is trying the same concept that others tablets have, probably to make the system more friendly and a easier adaptation. But the thing is: Android and IOS are not really good for tablet. They are very good for smartphone, but the tablet concept is just wrong. Especially Android tablets.

Windows 8 have a right swype aproach in the title screen, for example. This is genious. Why? Because with 2 fingers, one in each side, you can easily tap on any app on any screen location. Now, with Windows 10, IOS or Android, you have to get out one of the hands from side of tablet and choose a app in the center of screen. And it's the same for almost every function on these systems.

Windows 8 have this very unique and amazing concept. 99% of times you can easily manipulate the whole system holding the tablet with two hands all the time, using only the two thumb fingers. Microsoft create a concept that you don't have to reach the central zone of screen. This is amazing because reach the central zone is really hard on 16:9 screens and even on smaller aspects, is not that easy. All functions and the whole system was concentrated on where we can easily reach with two fingers.

I don't think i'm alone here. We have a lot of people talking about it not only here, but in uservoice and others forums.

So, briefly, Windows 10 for tablets is good just like iPads and Android tablets. And I don't think this is a good thing because they're not created for tablet. They're created for smartphone and adapted for tablets.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Dude, come on. "Uncomfortable" implies personal preference, because what is uncomfortable to one person is completely comfortable to another. There are few words which rely more on personal preference in this context than does "uncomfortable".

I don't think you are completely wrong here, but since we are all humans, some of things are generally hard or easy to do. And that's why personal preference are really different on some things and really close on others.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, but you haver to be kidding. Left and right swypes are the only good thing that left from Windows 8. Its a tablet, not a smartphone.

Theres no way to accidentally hit it man. I dont know what you are doing wrong. Its the best and more intuitive way to manipulate tablets, its Genius. Top and down are really stupid approach.

I disagree. When playing games, I find it's a huge problem. Actually, in many ways I think Windows 10 is worse than Windows 8.x in this regard. In fact the very first time I ran in to this problem was when I got my launch day Surface at the release of Windows 8. I was playing Fruit Ninja, which was all about swipes, and I would keep swiping in other apps like mail and IE. I very quickly switched the default left-edge swipe behavior from swiping in another app to the Metro task switcher bar. This was less jarring for me as an accidental left edge swipe would just show the task switcher (like an accidental right swipe would just show the charms) rather than completely switching to another app. In Windows 10, the default left edge swipe behavior is nearly as jarring as switching to another app as it brings up all the running app windows, and there's no option to change it.

Now that said, currently I'm mainly talking about 7"-8" tablets (Mainly HP Stream 7 and DV8P). Maybe it's a little better on larger screen tablets. Also, I didn't notice it so much (maybe not at all) on 1st party thumbstick games like Halo Spartan Strike and Assualt. But it was very noticeable on these small tablets with other games. (Overkill 3 in particular drove us nuts. We often ended up looking at a little window of our characters getting shot at amongst a sea of other windows in Windows 10.)

Given that the Halo games didn't seem that bad, maybe programmers can tweak the experience appropriately, but the edge swipes seem "brittle" to me. I admit that I still tend to use the left edge swipes for task switching and the right edge swipes for notifications on my DV8P daily even though I've complained about them here. For day to day usage, they're great - just simple thumb swipes. Until they're not, and then they drive me up the wall.

It's an interesting UI question, and not one that's immediately solveable. Which is better? A UI that works (maybe suboptimally) in all situations, or one that's great maybe >90% of the time, but falls short in other situations.

Last edited:

Kaitlyn Moore

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
#7: Whole-heartedly agree. I feel very passionate on this, in that Windows 8.1 was incredibly well-designed and thoughtful about how tablet users use devices with their thumbs. The tutorials were top-notch and it was a beautiful interface. But what I find strange is that I hear almost no one talking about this! Windows 10 touch is awful and clunky and doesn't work at all. There's no easy right-thumb maneuvers, and no easy left-thumb maneuvers. Has anyone seen any traction on this idea? I echo another user's comment that there would've been no loss at all to Windows 10's direction by maintaining the Windows 8.1 tablet mode. Because for today this means I have to uninstall Windows 10 from my convertible laptop that I use primarily as a laptop tablet on a stand. And this means I miss out on the cool stuff like the Edge browser and new modes.

7) Tablet mode- a good idea with terrible execution. Tablet mode was designed to make the operating system easy to use on touch screen devices. While it helps, its extremely frustrating and seemingly incomplete. Windows that open, such as edge browser dont have minimize or maximize options, and hardly ever display tue close window option. I get this is where task view comes in, but its unnecessary to make things that complicated. Solution? Allow tablet mode to function EXACTLY like the start screen in 8.1... Enables charms bar, swipe up to see all apps, start menu scrolls horizontally.

barbaram

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If Windows had presented this as an up grade, I would be oh, fine. No big deal. But they presented it as the answer to our prayers. And it is nothing much to care about. People are in thrall to the settings menu!! Really? is that the most one can get out of this major remake? To me that is so nothing.

A lot on this board are computer experts and there may be all sorts of insider things that are wonderful and delightful. But to the average user, me, the whole thing is just a pain. They promised a way to tag photos. Which I really really wanted. There is no help menu, so if this exists, I can't find it.

I'm not unhappy about this whole upgrade, I'm just annoyed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven