08-05-2015 12:43 PM
70 123
tools
    I believe that touch screen is the key to push app usage. I'm surprised that the amount of touchscreen laptops hasn't exploded. Back when Windows 8 launched I thought that by now virtually all laptops would be touchscreen, but I don't think they're much more prevalent today than they were a couple years ago.

For a mouse-and-keyboard user there's still little advantage to using apps instead of the web. In my experience the advantages do not outweigh the disadvantages, yet...
    I agree with this. I thought for sure everyone hated touchpads as much as I did and would move to touch screens as soon as they could. I personally will never go back to non-touch laptop as long as there are touch-screen alternatives. It doesn't seem to have really caught on though, and I can't figure out why.
    07-31-2015 11:01 AM
    I thought for sure everyone hated touchpads as much as I did and would move to touch screens as soon as they could.
    I hate touchpads too! My solution, since I currently own a non-touchscreen laptop, is to use a wireless mouse.

I do think that the manufacturers could do a little better with touchpads though. Besides my HP laptop, I also use a MacBook Pro. I don't find myself feeling the need to use a mouse like I do with my HP. Apple made using the touchpad feel natural somehow, with a lot of very cool gestures. Mac OS X is also very well designed for touchpad gestures, which helps.
    07-31-2015 11:41 AM
    Please don't mock me for being ignorant, but what is the difference between an app and a similar program you install from say a cd or DVD? For example, on my non-touch laptop, why would I want to use a mail app if I have Outlook as part of the Office suite I have on disc?
    07-31-2015 10:58 PM
    Please don't mock me for being ignorant, but what is the difference between an app and a similar program you install from say a cd or DVD? For example, on my non-touch laptop, why would I want to use a mail app if I have Outlook as part of the Office suite I have on disc?
    Apps from the store run in a sandbox. Meaning they are limited in what they can modify on your computer. Thus means less malicious software. Also updating I way easier.
    07-31-2015 11:18 PM
    Me, all social media, like twitter, imstagram
    07-31-2015 11:20 PM
    . Back when Windows 8 launched I thought that by now virtually all laptops would be touchscreen, but I don't think they're much more prevalent today than they were a couple years ago.
    I read somewhere that is because in practice, only low numbers actually use the touchscreen - I myself have a touch laptop but I never use the screen.
    08-01-2015 02:24 AM
    Actually, I would prefer to use app if it is high quality. I like to use app to browse particular site such as WindowsCentral instead of opening a browser as apps are fast, direct and personal.

Also, I am now switching to MSFT default mail app to handle my gmail and outlook just because it has notification.
    08-01-2015 03:12 AM
    Use my banking app all the time. Love it.
    08-01-2015 03:18 AM
    Some app's are quicker to use and more convenient for quick updates, Others not so much. Email app is nice for a quick scan off email, BUT when finally download WIN10 on my laptop I will use Windows Live or Outlook. I like to store some emails on my harddrive and not keep them on the web. Facebook and Twitter look a lot better accessed on the web, however I do have the apps because I can see the notifications.
    08-01-2015 07:18 AM
    I read somewhere that is because in practice, only low numbers actually use the touchscreen - I myself have a touch laptop but I never use the screen.
    How come? On my laptop, I rarely use anything BUT the touch screen. I find it so much easier to just click on the screen than move the mouse pointer.
    I honestly can't think of a reason not to use the touch screen. But it seems I am in the minority.
    08-01-2015 10:32 AM
    How come? On my laptop, I rarely use anything BUT the touch screen. I find it so much easier to just click on the screen than move the mouse pointer.
    I honestly can't think of a reason not to use the touch screen. But it seems I am in the minority.
    For most of the things I do I cannot see where touching the screen would be quicker than using keyboard short-cuts that means my hands don't leave the keyboard.
    xsikal likes this.
    08-01-2015 01:58 PM
    I use basic apps on my PC (weather, Mail, news, etc), but mostly desktop software. However, it's flipped on my Surface tablet. There I use exclusively apps (games, mail, weather, news, Edge, etc).
    08-01-2015 02:04 PM
    I use some apps all the time.

I'm not going to regurgitate the apps I use (plenty of "what apps do you use in windows 8.1?" threads).

And surprisingly, some of these apps benefit from Windows 10 even though they're still Modern apps from Windows 8.1. For example, Notepad Classic was a terrific Modern version of Notepad. But because it was Modern, it couldn't float as a window so regular Notepad was more convenient on a desktop. But now it can float as a window so you get all the benefits of Notepad Classic. Things like autocorrection, word count, buttons that are big enough to touch, etch.
    MikeSo likes this.
    08-01-2015 02:12 PM
    Yes, windowed mode has increased my apl use for sure. That is the single most important future for windows 10 desktop for me. People don't realize how big is that. If they try apps now, they will realize that they are really good.
    MikeSo and rhapdog like this.
    08-01-2015 02:22 PM
    Pretty much every single time I'm on my computer, I'll probably be using Twitter, Tubecast, Weather, News, Money, VLC (from the store), or Groove Music. On the few times I'm not using one of those, I'll probably be playing a game or something.

Actually, now that I think about it, the only legacy desktop apps that I use are Vuze (for completely legal purposes), Firefox (which I rarely use, but I needed it for Mega during the Insider program), or games from Steam. And really, I could uninstall Vuze for a Store torrent client, and uninstall Firefox once Edge gets a Mega extension. The only thing missing is Steam games and I would never need a reason to use a legacy desktop app.
    Last edited by Jas00555; 08-02-2015 at 06:01 PM.
    08-01-2015 07:44 PM
    I use zero apps on PC, and I don't see anyone in my circle using them either. I spend my time in a browser, Steam/Origin, and Photoshop. If I had an x86 tablet I would probably use them though.
    08-01-2015 08:41 PM
    I use zero apps on PC, and I don't see anyone in my circle using them either. I spend my time in a browser, Steam/Origin, and Photoshop. If I had an x86 tablet I would probably use them though.
    Same. If i had a tablet, I'd probably use more. The thing is, I have no need for a tablet. I don't commute to work by train, I'm not a college kid that lounges around a lot. My daily schedule and where I'm at, what I do, I have zero need for one. I use my phone and my pc, that's it. And programs/browser just works best for PC.
    xsikal likes this.
    08-01-2015 10:07 PM
    I dont use apps much on PC. The only apps I really use are games.

But I do use apps a lot when I'm on a tablet.
    08-01-2015 10:57 PM
    Now that Win 10 will let me run apps in a window I expect I will use them more. At work I have a 23 inch screen and they were way too big.

I expect we will see more quality apps in the coming months as the developers can hit all of Windows with a single app. Also, the install base will be in the hundreds of millions within a couple of weeks.
    Tsang Fai likes this.
    08-01-2015 11:52 PM
    Why should people only use "apps" in smartphones?

Now that universal apps run as windows, I am pretty sure people have higher motivation for using apps.

You may say that there are already lots of desktop programs for getting things done - so people do not need apps for their laptops & desktops. This is not so true. For doing simple tasks (mail, facebook chats, alarms), people enjoy using apps because they are simple, task-oriented, and lightweight. What's more, with Windows Store, people can discover their favourite apps more easily. And one important thing: there is no need to worry about downloading programs with viruses and malwares.

Even for people working in office or at home, apps can make their lives more enjoyable. It would be stupid to work on your laptop, while swiping and typing on the small screen of your smartphone, right? Apps running on a bigger screen is certainly a big plus and more comfortable experience. You can open a desktop program, snag it on the left, and an app, snag it on the right - you can never have such a wonderful experience on your phones. Well, these apps virtually replace your phone while you are working. So it is a totally improved experience of "running apps" - I think people would appreciate that.

And don't forget Windows 10 allows win32 programs to be ported to Windows Store. I expect there will be a bunch of useful apps coming from this rich source of win32 programs.

Because Windows 8 was not popular enough, people did not have enough chance to try Windows Store apps. Now the situation is different. As more and more people install Windows 10, they would at least give a try to Windows Store.
    Last edited by Tsang Fai; 08-02-2015 at 05:23 AM.
    08-02-2015 05:04 AM
    I'm not use a lot of apps, but some of them use a lot. For example, Nextgen Reader, which is great RSS-Reader, I use it on my lumia, on laptop with 8.1 and on big PC with 10. I have never had a separate program for RSS on PC, and use brouser whith googlerssreader, later (when google drop it) trying to use feedly. Now I'm totaly happy with that app. On lumia I mostly use FictionBookReader for reading books, but for cross-device reading prefer BookViser, which is even better in some aspects (premium version of course). If I often look on youtube or use twitter, then I would use apps for them (I have Tubecast Pro). Now I want a good app-client for myshows.tv
    08-02-2015 07:41 PM
    I have always used the stock Microsoft apps even on my PC but I don't really use any other apps due to lack of selection. I was hoping Windows 10 would change that by bringing Window Phone's fuller app catalog to PC but the app store is as barren as ever.

The only good part about Windows 10 is that Microsoft fixed/improved the tablet multitasker and non-Modern apps finally feel like Modern apps (and vice versa).

ETA: Oh, yeah, I would love using apps for notifications but, again, almost none of the apps I use on Android exist. Supposedly Hangouts Chrome extension should be compatible, though.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 08-02-2015 at 08:46 PM.
    08-02-2015 08:23 PM
    Personally, I find it cumbersome to use the touchscreen on my laptop because I have to reach the distance of my keyboard. Also, I find that the bigger the display the less effective to have touch as an input. I prefer using touchscreen over a trackpad, though.
    08-02-2015 08:33 PM
    I have Outlook 2013, but I personally prefer the lightweight Mail app for home usage. I don't need rules, archive folders, macros and other advanced settings for mail at home.

Aside from Mail, use WatchESPN, Twitter, Binder (for school), OneNote and Rhapsody. I really wish there were apps for Instagram, Yahoo Fantasy Football, Flickr, updated version of Mint.
    08-02-2015 11:29 PM
    I was not using any of the apps on my PC. But now, with W10, the apps are more easily accessible and the best part is that they act as regular resizable windows instead of being full screen.

Since the upgrade, I have been using Mail, FB, Twitter apps on my PC and I love 'em! It's so convenient now.
    TechAbstract likes this.
    08-02-2015 11:35 PM
70 123