How many people actually use Apps?

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I cant say I ever use the apps. Every once and a while I'll use the weather app but that's it. Granted, I'm on a pc. So maybe if I had a tablet, perhaps I'd use some.

How many of you actually use apps?

I understand and supported the Universal apps strategy but I'm really starting to think it's going to fail.
I really don't think people use apps much on a laptop or pc.
Windows 10 just launched and you can probably count on one hand how many universal apps there are. I really don't expect this idea to take off with devs.

The only reason I was excited about universal apps was because i initially thought it would mean many more new apps for WP. I don't see it happening.

I give MS credit for trying, but they perhaps should've waited for WP to be finished. They also should've given devs much earlier access to sdks.

Pretec

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I cant say I ever use the apps. Every once and a while I'll use the weather app but that's it. Granted, I'm on a pc. So maybe if I had a tablet, perhaps I'd use some.

How many of you actually use apps?

I understand and supported the Universal apps strategy but I'm really starting to think it's going to fail.
I really don't think people use apps much on a laptop or pc.
Windows 10 just launched and you can probably count on one hand how many universal apps there are. I really don't expect this idea to take off with devs.

The only reason I was excited about universal apps was because i initially thought it would mean many more new apps for WP. I don't see it happening.

I give MS credit for trying, but they perhaps should've waited for WP to be finished. They also should've given devs much earlier access to sdks.

If they are good, why not?

Apps are more convenient if they have been properly made. And now that apps can be used in a more mainstream way, it's a plus.

For example, I use the weather app, Flightradar24 app, and some other apps.

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
The major reason Modern Apps (since Win32 programs/Desktop Apps are also technically Apps as well) is not used more often is only because in Windows 8 they ran full screen, didn't behave well with KBM input (as they were mainly touch UIs) which threw people off, and worst of all most were of pretty poor quality. In Windows 10 Modern Apps are windowed and now they look and behave not so much different to Win32 apps I think that should drive usage up way higher.

Currently I'm running Twitter/Tweetium app full time on my desktop machine and I think it is great. I can also see myself using the Map app more and more, Offline maps are so important when you don't have an internet connection.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
So far, I don't find much use for apps because their program or browser counterpart has more features. Like the mail app. I'll use my browser or outlook because it's got all the features.

Firipu

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
I use the facebook and twitter app quite often. The facebook app is not optimal, but it's ok :)
Lastpass app, cover (for comics). And obviously mail and calendar.

Not sure why, but I kinda like using apps :)

krague17

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
The main reason I use apps over websites when possible is because browsers are starting to be complete memory hogs. The apps usually have more functionality and better OS integration.

I'm praying Dish Networks comes out with a Universal Windows App because trying to stream through their website on a tablet is the worst experience ever. But if there was a nice app like Androids or IOS has I know it would work so much better.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I used to use them some, but was switching to desktop more and more. However, now that I am using Windows 10 on my main PC, I am loving the apps! I still need desktop for a lot of tasks, although part of that is just me figuring it out but I find I am downloading apps I didn't bother with before like Facebook (I really like that app!).

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
The weather app is nicely designed and i've pinned that to my taskbar but otherwise I've deleted or unpinned the rest, nothing in there I need or want.

waeras

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Mail, Calendar, Remote Destop and Teamviewer are the once I open the most. OneNote too if I remember to bring the Surface pen with me to school.
)

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I prefer store apps over traditional win32 applications, I did in W8 and still do in W10.

Store apps always scale properly varied DPI displays, they respect system resources & are easy on battery life, they integrate with things like the share 'charm', search & notifications and because they use set APIs they can be managed through common, system settings pages (e.g. background tasks, notifications, etc.). That's not a complete list but a few things I like.

Some apps lack features over their win32 counterparts bit that's usually because they are years newer. If we start using the apps then the devs will keep building out the features.

Singhonline

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I use mail,calander ,weather,sports ,map, TubeCast ,advance English dictionary,hindkhoj dictionary ,cricinfo , crossy roads ,ted ,candy crush etc. on my non touch laptop . Tube cast is better than YouTube website because it is ad free. Now on windows 10 these apps looks beautiful without full screen mode.

Qre8ive

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I do think the universal app will stimulate developers in time to develop for Windows 10. Right now you don't see it often yet, simply because developers aren't used to develop for both Desktop and Mobile. But I mean... if you can quite easily take an Android app and turn it into a Windows Univeral App for every Windows 10 device, why wouldn't you?

It just needs time, but when all mobile phones will run W10 and most desktop/tablet users switch to W10 as well it'll sure be interesting.

Sekyal

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I like the store apps for games more than other types of apps. Overall a nicely made app is much better than the desktop equivalent.

FLJeepGuy

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Mail, Calendar, Weather, Groove Music (for my own local library), Package Tracker. I pretty much hated the App experience in Windows 8.1 on my PC, but I've tried to embrace apps in Windows 10. I use outlook.com for email, and have been trying to get into the habit of using the Mail and Calendar apps rather than the browser, but the Mail app in particular seems incomplete. There are some functions that exist in the browser version that don't exist in the app. I'm sure it will get better with time and once I become accustomed to using the apps by default / habit, my usage should go up.

Other than that, there just aren't that many apps that I find useful on my desktop PC.

My biggest issue, and hopefully this will also improve with time and universal apps, is the lack of support. Nest and Sonos are two that I'd love to have as apps, particularly as universal apps so I can run them on my phone as well. On the desktop it's not that big of a deal as I can run the web site for Nest and the official Sonos controller desktop software, but universal apps would provide a consistent experience across all my Windows devices...

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My company uses Lync (now Skype for Business) very heavily; rather than install the full client on my personal laptop (which I use for work-at-home days), I'm running the Lync "app" from the Store. The only thing it doesn't do is share my desktop, but if I'm going to do that I'm not going to be sharing my personal laptop desktop; I'll be sharing my work PC desktop, which means I'll be there sitting at it. :)

xmai77

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
I use apps on my tablet and the browser version of the apps on my desktop. Apps are touch friendly and I find navigating them on a tablet to be a pleasure, at least for the well designed ones. On my PC, it's actually more difficult to use an app cause, generally, everything is big and spread out so I have to move my mouse a lot more to navigate. For that reason, I stick with the browser on my PC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb