How many people actually use Apps?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's not all that helpful in the scope of things for a few posters here to say we use apps. We make up maybe a hundred or three out of hundreds of millions of PC users. Are there statistics available? How many users out of all PC users use apps? That's what I'd like to know, and that's what matters!

My company uses Lync (now Skype for Business) very heavily; rather than install the full client on my personal laptop (which I use for work-at-home days), I'm running the Lync "app" from the Store. The only thing it doesn't do is share my desktop, but if I'm going to do that I'm not going to be sharing my personal laptop desktop; I'll be sharing my work PC desktop, which means I'll be there sitting at it. :)

You use the Lync app??? :amaze: My company is a Lync (Skype for Business) partner, and we have many customers. I don't believe I've ever heard of someone actually using the Store app in real life. Is there a reason you use it rather than the desktop version? You didn't specifically say, but do you use the desktop version on your work PC?

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is there a reason you use it rather than the desktop version? You didn't specifically say, but do you use the desktop version on your work PC?

I'll answer those in reverse order, heh.

Yes, I use the desktop version on my work PC; I have to, as I'm testing whether or not Lync would be a good replacement for our VOIP system. We're installing unified messaging in a couple of months, and then I think we'll be dropping our phone system completely in favor of Lync.

As far as running the desktop version on my laptop, well, there's a bit of a convoluted story there. One day I was at home and needed to hop on to Lync, so I hit up the MS site and installed Lync Basic. I quickly found out that Lync Basic does not support call forwarding, which I need so that my cellphone will simultaneously ring when I get a Lync call. Because I'm lazy, I never grabbed our Lync client install from work, and just kept switching call forwarding back on after I'd use Lync Basic at home. When MS pushed out the Skype for Business update, lo and behold, suddenly my "Lync Basic" was now full Skype for Business with call forwarding features.

After installing Windows 10, I realized I was at home 2 nights ago without Lync. So I did the same thing; I DLed Lync Basic and ran all the updates to make it Skype for Business (I couldn't find a stand-alone Lync/Skype for Business client anywhere). Only this time, on Windows 10, the call forwarding features did NOT get activated when Lync morphed to Skype for Business. Rather than continue with the "just reset it every morning at work" shenanigans, I just uninstalled it and planned to install from my work's installation file.

But then I remembered that there was an "app" version of Lync in the Store; I installed that and got it all working. With "apps" running in windows instead of full-screen in Windows 10, and with the "app" version of Lync supporting call forwarding, I've discovered that for my Lync-at-home needs, the "app" works just fine. It does everything I need Lync to do for me at home.

So, that's that. :)

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
If they are good, why not?

Apps are more convenient if they have been properly made. And now that apps can be used in a more mainstream way, it's a plus.

For example, I use the weather app, Flightradar24 app, and some other apps.
Exactly. On my 11" 2-in-1 laptop it would be PERFECT to use the apps on the touch screen, like Facebook and Windows Central for example. Unfortunately, both of those apps in Windows 8.1 (and 10) are severely underwhelming compared to the websites. The problem is, that the websites aren't great for touch either.
I hope more companies either make better touch-optimized websites OR create (or port from Android!) better apps. The one Windows REALLY needs is Facebook. That one is absolutely awful right now.

I use Groove, Email, Cortana, and a few more.

For desktops, or non-touch larger laptops, I think apps will have a tough battle, except for those that need things like constant location awareness (like maps) and other functions that aren't necessarily ideal for websites.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
On my 11" 2-in-1 laptop it would be PERFECT to use the apps on the touch screen, like Facebook and Windows Central for example.

I believe that touch screen is the key to push app usage. I'm surprised that the amount of touchscreen laptops hasn't exploded. Back when Windows 8 launched I thought that by now virtually all laptops would be touchscreen, but I don't think they're much more prevalent today than they were a couple years ago.

For a mouse-and-keyboard user there's still little advantage to using apps instead of the web. In my experience the advantages do not outweigh the disadvantages, yet...

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I believe that touch screen is the key to push app usage. I'm surprised that the amount of touchscreen laptops hasn't exploded. Back when Windows 8 launched I thought that by now virtually all laptops would be touchscreen, but I don't think they're much more prevalent today than they were a couple years ago.

For a mouse-and-keyboard user there's still little advantage to using apps instead of the web. In my experience the advantages do not outweigh the disadvantages, yet...

I agree with this. I thought for sure everyone hated touchpads as much as I did and would move to touch screens as soon as they could. I personally will never go back to non-touch laptop as long as there are touch-screen alternatives. It doesn't seem to have really caught on though, and I can't figure out why.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I thought for sure everyone hated touchpads as much as I did and would move to touch screens as soon as they could.

I hate touchpads too! My solution, since I currently own a non-touchscreen laptop, is to use a wireless mouse.

I do think that the manufacturers could do a little better with touchpads though. Besides my HP laptop, I also use a MacBook Pro. I don't find myself feeling the need to use a mouse like I do with my HP. Apple made using the touchpad feel natural somehow, with a lot of very cool gestures. Mac OS X is also very well designed for touchpad gestures, which helps.

kdk24z

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Please don't mock me for being ignorant, but what is the difference between an app and a similar program you install from say a cd or DVD? For example, on my non-touch laptop, why would I want to use a mail app if I have Outlook as part of the Office suite I have on disc?

Matt Addy

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Please don't mock me for being ignorant, but what is the difference between an app and a similar program you install from say a cd or DVD? For example, on my non-touch laptop, why would I want to use a mail app if I have Outlook as part of the Office suite I have on disc?

Apps from the store run in a sandbox. Meaning they are limited in what they can modify on your computer. Thus means less malicious software. Also updating I way easier.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
. Back when Windows 8 launched I thought that by now virtually all laptops would be touchscreen, but I don't think they're much more prevalent today than they were a couple years ago.

I read somewhere that is because in practice, only low numbers actually use the touchscreen - I myself have a touch laptop but I never use the screen.

knight820

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Actually, I would prefer to use app if it is high quality. I like to use app to browse particular site such as WindowsCentral instead of opening a browser as apps are fast, direct and personal.

Also, I am now switching to MSFT default mail app to handle my gmail and outlook just because it has notification.

gnd1

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Some app's are quicker to use and more convenient for quick updates, Others not so much. Email app is nice for a quick scan off email, BUT when finally download WIN10 on my laptop I will use Windows Live or Outlook. I like to store some emails on my harddrive and not keep them on the web. Facebook and Twitter look a lot better accessed on the web, however I do have the apps because I can see the notifications.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I read somewhere that is because in practice, only low numbers actually use the touchscreen - I myself have a touch laptop but I never use the screen.
How come? On my laptop, I rarely use anything BUT the touch screen. I find it so much easier to just click on the screen than move the mouse pointer.
I honestly can't think of a reason not to use the touch screen. But it seems I am in the minority.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
How come? On my laptop, I rarely use anything BUT the touch screen. I find it so much easier to just click on the screen than move the mouse pointer.
I honestly can't think of a reason not to use the touch screen. But it seems I am in the minority.

For most of the things I do I cannot see where touching the screen would be quicker than using keyboard short-cuts that means my hands don't leave the keyboard.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I use basic apps on my PC (weather, Mail, news, etc), but mostly desktop software. However, it's flipped on my Surface tablet. There I use exclusively apps (games, mail, weather, news, Edge, etc).

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I use some apps all the time.

I'm not going to regurgitate the apps I use (plenty of "what apps do you use in windows 8.1?" threads).

And surprisingly, some of these apps benefit from Windows 10 even though they're still Modern apps from Windows 8.1. For example, Notepad Classic was a terrific Modern version of Notepad. But because it was Modern, it couldn't float as a window so regular Notepad was more convenient on a desktop. But now it can float as a window so you get all the benefits of Notepad Classic. Things like autocorrection, word count, buttons that are big enough to touch, etch.

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes, windowed mode has increased my apl use for sure. That is the single most important future for windows 10 desktop for me. People don't realize how big is that. If they try apps now, they will realize that they are really good.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Pretty much every single time I'm on my computer, I'll probably be using Twitter, Tubecast, Weather, News, Money, VLC (from the store), or Groove Music. On the few times I'm not using one of those, I'll probably be playing a game or something.

Actually, now that I think about it, the only legacy desktop apps that I use are Vuze (for completely legal purposes), Firefox (which I rarely use, but I needed it for Mega during the Insider program), or games from Steam. And really, I could uninstall Vuze for a Store torrent client, and uninstall Firefox once Edge gets a Mega extension. The only thing missing is Steam games and I would never need a reason to use a legacy desktop app.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte