08-05-2015 12:43 PM
70 123
tools
    I cant say I ever use the apps. Every once and a while I'll use the weather app but that's it. Granted, I'm on a pc. So maybe if I had a tablet, perhaps I'd use some.

How many of you actually use apps?

I understand and supported the Universal apps strategy but I'm really starting to think it's going to fail.
    I really don't think people use apps much on a laptop or pc.
    Windows 10 just launched and you can probably count on one hand how many universal apps there are. I really don't expect this idea to take off with devs.

The only reason I was excited about universal apps was because i initially thought it would mean many more new apps for WP. I don't see it happening.

I give MS credit for trying, but they perhaps should've waited for WP to be finished. They also should've given devs much earlier access to sdks.
    Tom Snyder likes this.
    07-30-2015 09:15 PM
    I cant say I ever use the apps. Every once and a while I'll use the weather app but that's it. Granted, I'm on a pc. So maybe if I had a tablet, perhaps I'd use some.

How many of you actually use apps?

I understand and supported the Universal apps strategy but I'm really starting to think it's going to fail.
    I really don't think people use apps much on a laptop or pc.
    Windows 10 just launched and you can probably count on one hand how many universal apps there are. I really don't expect this idea to take off with devs.

The only reason I was excited about universal apps was because i initially thought it would mean many more new apps for WP. I don't see it happening.

I give MS credit for trying, but they perhaps should've waited for WP to be finished. They also should've given devs much earlier access to sdks.
    If they are good, why not?

Apps are more convenient if they have been properly made. And now that apps can be used in a more mainstream way, it's a plus.

For example, I use the weather app, Flightradar24 app, and some other apps.
    MikeSo likes this.
    07-30-2015 09:21 PM
    Email, Calendar, Weather, Skyscanner, Facebook, App Radio, News, Money, Maps, Fhotoroom...I use all of these on my laptop.
    fjordstrom and ven07 like this.
    07-30-2015 09:28 PM
    The major reason Modern Apps (since Win32 programs/Desktop Apps are also technically Apps as well) is not used more often is only because in Windows 8 they ran full screen, didn't behave well with KBM input (as they were mainly touch UIs) which threw people off, and worst of all most were of pretty poor quality. In Windows 10 Modern Apps are windowed and now they look and behave not so much different to Win32 apps I think that should drive usage up way higher.

Currently I'm running Twitter/Tweetium app full time on my desktop machine and I think it is great. I can also see myself using the Map app more and more, Offline maps are so important when you don't have an internet connection.
    Spartan14 likes this.
    07-30-2015 09:41 PM
    So far, I don't find much use for apps because their program or browser counterpart has more features. Like the mail app. I'll use my browser or outlook because it's got all the features.
    Warren_2185 likes this.
    07-30-2015 09:56 PM
    I use the facebook and twitter app quite often. The facebook app is not optimal, but it's ok :)
    Lastpass app, cover (for comics). And obviously mail and calendar.

Not sure why, but I kinda like using apps :)
    07-30-2015 11:58 PM
    The main reason I use apps over websites when possible is because browsers are starting to be complete memory hogs. The apps usually have more functionality and better OS integration.

I'm praying Dish Networks comes out with a Universal Windows App because trying to stream through their website on a tablet is the worst experience ever. But if there was a nice app like Androids or IOS has I know it would work so much better.
    07-31-2015 12:26 AM
    I use no Mobile ui apps "modern ui" on pc....only win32 for me.....i use mobile apps on phones/ tablets only
    07-31-2015 12:36 AM
    I used to use them some, but was switching to desktop more and more. However, now that I am using Windows 10 on my main PC, I am loving the apps! I still need desktop for a lot of tasks, although part of that is just me figuring it out but I find I am downloading apps I didn't bother with before like Facebook (I really like that app!).
    07-31-2015 12:40 AM
    The weather app is nicely designed and i've pinned that to my taskbar but otherwise I've deleted or unpinned the rest, nothing in there I need or want.
    07-31-2015 02:22 AM
    I do use apps on my laptop, not a lot but a few like weather, a tv guide, and a few more
    07-31-2015 04:11 AM
    Mail, Calendar, Remote Destop and Teamviewer are the once I open the most. OneNote too if I remember to bring the Surface pen with me to school.
    )
    07-31-2015 04:36 AM
    I prefer store apps over traditional win32 applications, I did in W8 and still do in W10.

Store apps always scale properly varied DPI displays, they respect system resources & are easy on battery life, they integrate with things like the share 'charm', search & notifications and because they use set APIs they can be managed through common, system settings pages (e.g. background tasks, notifications, etc.). That's not a complete list but a few things I like.

Some apps lack features over their win32 counterparts bit that's usually because they are years newer. If we start using the apps then the devs will keep building out the features.
    TechAbstract likes this.
    07-31-2015 04:45 AM
    I use mail,calander ,weather,sports ,map, TubeCast ,advance English dictionary,hindkhoj dictionary ,cricinfo , crossy roads ,ted ,candy crush etc. on my non touch laptop . Tube cast is better than YouTube website because it is ad free. Now on windows 10 these apps looks beautiful without full screen mode.
    07-31-2015 04:56 AM
    New Twitter also looks beautiful.i use twitter very less but when I use, I use app.
    07-31-2015 05:04 AM
    I do think the universal app will stimulate developers in time to develop for Windows 10. Right now you don't see it often yet, simply because developers aren't used to develop for both Desktop and Mobile. But I mean... if you can quite easily take an Android app and turn it into a Windows Univeral App for every Windows 10 device, why wouldn't you?

It just needs time, but when all mobile phones will run W10 and most desktop/tablet users switch to W10 as well it'll sure be interesting.
    07-31-2015 05:19 AM
    I like the store apps for games more than other types of apps. Overall a nicely made app is much better than the desktop equivalent.
    07-31-2015 06:59 AM
    Mail, Calendar, Weather, Groove Music (for my own local library), Package Tracker. I pretty much hated the App experience in Windows 8.1 on my PC, but I've tried to embrace apps in Windows 10. I use outlook.com for email, and have been trying to get into the habit of using the Mail and Calendar apps rather than the browser, but the Mail app in particular seems incomplete. There are some functions that exist in the browser version that don't exist in the app. I'm sure it will get better with time and once I become accustomed to using the apps by default / habit, my usage should go up.

Other than that, there just aren't that many apps that I find useful on my desktop PC.

My biggest issue, and hopefully this will also improve with time and universal apps, is the lack of support. Nest and Sonos are two that I'd love to have as apps, particularly as universal apps so I can run them on my phone as well. On the desktop it's not that big of a deal as I can run the web site for Nest and the official Sonos controller desktop software, but universal apps would provide a consistent experience across all my Windows devices...
    07-31-2015 09:32 AM
    My company uses Lync (now Skype for Business) very heavily; rather than install the full client on my personal laptop (which I use for work-at-home days), I'm running the Lync "app" from the Store. The only thing it doesn't do is share my desktop, but if I'm going to do that I'm not going to be sharing my personal laptop desktop; I'll be sharing my work PC desktop, which means I'll be there sitting at it. :)
    07-31-2015 09:54 AM
    I use apps on my tablet and the browser version of the apps on my desktop. Apps are touch friendly and I find navigating them on a tablet to be a pleasure, at least for the well designed ones. On my PC, it's actually more difficult to use an app cause, generally, everything is big and spread out so I have to move my mouse a lot more to navigate. For that reason, I stick with the browser on my PC.
    07-31-2015 10:15 AM
    It's not all that helpful in the scope of things for a few posters here to say we use apps. We make up maybe a hundred or three out of hundreds of millions of PC users. Are there statistics available? How many users out of all PC users use apps? That's what I'd like to know, and that's what matters!

My company uses Lync (now Skype for Business) very heavily; rather than install the full client on my personal laptop (which I use for work-at-home days), I'm running the Lync "app" from the Store. The only thing it doesn't do is share my desktop, but if I'm going to do that I'm not going to be sharing my personal laptop desktop; I'll be sharing my work PC desktop, which means I'll be there sitting at it. :)
    You use the Lync app??? My company is a Lync (Skype for Business) partner, and we have many customers. I don't believe I've ever heard of someone actually using the Store app in real life. Is there a reason you use it rather than the desktop version? You didn't specifically say, but do you use the desktop version on your work PC?
    07-31-2015 10:20 AM
    Is there a reason you use it rather than the desktop version? You didn't specifically say, but do you use the desktop version on your work PC?
    I'll answer those in reverse order, heh.

Yes, I use the desktop version on my work PC; I have to, as I'm testing whether or not Lync would be a good replacement for our VOIP system. We're installing unified messaging in a couple of months, and then I think we'll be dropping our phone system completely in favor of Lync.

As far as running the desktop version on my laptop, well, there's a bit of a convoluted story there. One day I was at home and needed to hop on to Lync, so I hit up the MS site and installed Lync Basic. I quickly found out that Lync Basic does not support call forwarding, which I need so that my cellphone will simultaneously ring when I get a Lync call. Because I'm lazy, I never grabbed our Lync client install from work, and just kept switching call forwarding back on after I'd use Lync Basic at home. When MS pushed out the Skype for Business update, lo and behold, suddenly my "Lync Basic" was now full Skype for Business with call forwarding features.

After installing Windows 10, I realized I was at home 2 nights ago without Lync. So I did the same thing; I DLed Lync Basic and ran all the updates to make it Skype for Business (I couldn't find a stand-alone Lync/Skype for Business client anywhere). Only this time, on Windows 10, the call forwarding features did NOT get activated when Lync morphed to Skype for Business. Rather than continue with the "just reset it every morning at work" shenanigans, I just uninstalled it and planned to install from my work's installation file.

But then I remembered that there was an "app" version of Lync in the Store; I installed that and got it all working. With "apps" running in windows instead of full-screen in Windows 10, and with the "app" version of Lync supporting call forwarding, I've discovered that for my Lync-at-home needs, the "app" works just fine. It does everything I need Lync to do for me at home.

So, that's that. :)
    07-31-2015 10:46 AM
    If they are good, why not?

Apps are more convenient if they have been properly made. And now that apps can be used in a more mainstream way, it's a plus.

For example, I use the weather app, Flightradar24 app, and some other apps.
    Exactly. On my 11" 2-in-1 laptop it would be PERFECT to use the apps on the touch screen, like Facebook and Windows Central for example. Unfortunately, both of those apps in Windows 8.1 (and 10) are severely underwhelming compared to the websites. The problem is, that the websites aren't great for touch either.
    I hope more companies either make better touch-optimized websites OR create (or port from Android!) better apps. The one Windows REALLY needs is Facebook. That one is absolutely awful right now.

I use Groove, Email, Cortana, and a few more.

For desktops, or non-touch larger laptops, I think apps will have a tough battle, except for those that need things like constant location awareness (like maps) and other functions that aren't necessarily ideal for websites.
    07-31-2015 10:48 AM
    On my 11" 2-in-1 laptop it would be PERFECT to use the apps on the touch screen, like Facebook and Windows Central for example.
    I believe that touch screen is the key to push app usage. I'm surprised that the amount of touchscreen laptops hasn't exploded. Back when Windows 8 launched I thought that by now virtually all laptops would be touchscreen, but I don't think they're much more prevalent today than they were a couple years ago.

For a mouse-and-keyboard user there's still little advantage to using apps instead of the web. In my experience the advantages do not outweigh the disadvantages, yet...
    07-31-2015 10:55 AM
    I use "Apps" on PC for notifications

FB, Twitter, Tapatalk, Windows Central, myAppfree etc etc
    GSOgymrat and sentimentGX4 like this.
    07-31-2015 10:57 AM
70 123