windows 10 install freezes at 30%

Hecatoncheires

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Installing windows 10 as an upgrade from windows 7. Everything was looking good leading up to the install, genuine windows, no compatibility issues. The update downloads no problem, I select install now, it shuts down the computer and I get that glowing ring/progress bar that slowly moves up to 29% as it "copies files". Once the file copying is complete it reboots and I see the windows logo and the circle of moving dots. The dots do one rotation, then freeze. Nothing else happens.
Waited four hours, no change, no progress bar, no indication that anything is happening. I do a manual reboot, it resumes installation and hangs immediately. Reboot again and it restores windows 7.
Kudos to Microsoft for having a failsafe so my system doesn't get bricked, but anyone have any idea what is going wrong? The system is a Dell alienware aurora R3, so there is no odd-ball hardware in there.

Hecatoncheires

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I am on the tenth or eleventh try now. I try different things everytime (uninstalled the antivirus and any other program that may affect boot up), tried using the media tool to create a usb key boot disk, but that crashes too (at the "creating windows 10 media" stage) and gives me the hilarious error message "something happened" and then only gives me the option to close the tool. I am fairly computer literate and I have absolutely no idea what is going on. I'm about to give up on windows 10 as well.

Vijay R4

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks to Microsoft - Windows 10 completely deleted my Ubuntu partitions and all data got lost.

Finally had Windows upgraded from Windows 7, but on start up the hard disk rate is always 99-100% and the moment I open the file explorer, the whole system freezes. Cant do anything. Crap !!

JLoToday

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
6 time all failed on the last install page about 70 -90% always fails annoying me now, either give up on windows 10 or take it to the shop and they can do it

wyatt knelson

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
This is exactly what happens to me. I also have an Alienware Aurora R3. I think it is the "Alien FX", the lights on the Aurora itself. I've tried installing Win10 three times now, I thought it was failing because it went into sleep mode but it freezes as soon as the light scheme changes when the PC restarts 30%. I'm glad to see another Alienware user having the same issue because that must mean it has something to do with the lights.

Hecatoncheires

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. I never thought about the lights. Yes mine freezes at the same spot. There is no bios option to disable them, so I guess we can try manually unplugging them from the motherboard.

Out of curiosity, do you have a sound card installed?

NavetsMac

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
I was having same issue with it freezing at 30%. However, I then realised I had a few extra hard drives attached through the usb. Disconnected them and it then shot through with the update. Everything else all went smoothly and I reattched the drives with the usb and all found no issues etc (or so I thought). Now it's crashing every 30minutes or so saying "Driver_Power_Stae_Faiilure" - unable to determine what the problem is. May just revert back to win7 as everything worked with no problems whatsover.

wyatt knelson

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
No I don't, just two GTX 760's. Do you have the alienware keyboard and mouse too? They have lights on them too but I kinda doubt they'd do much

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte