windows insider product key?

zulu208

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I was using virtualbox on my win7 laptop when I was doing the technical preview for windows 10, and got the RTM release. After upgrading my laptop to windows 10, virtualbox decided to stop launching any of my virtualbox instances, I think because windows 10 comes with hyper-v and it took hold of the VT-x/AMD-v setting.

In haste, ​I deleted the RTM windows 10 VHD. I don't have a copy of the last technical preview build, 10240. how do I go about reinstall windows 10 on hyper-v and not be prompted for the product key?

I used​ my msn dot com account during the technical preview and to reserved my free upgrade of windows 10. So both are under one email address.

thanks​

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Have you considered all the issues outlined in our W10 installation FAQ?

Have you reviewed MS' W10 licence policies for virtualized installations for your host and client W10 SKUs? AFAIK different rules apply for Home and Pro versions.

I'm on the phone so I won't provide links...

zulu208

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I haven't read their policies for VM installation but if it is anything like their sql server product, that would mean I can have up to 50 virtual instances, which would be nice :-D.

I remembered for their windows 7 home edition, you can install it up to 5 different machine but that was with windows 7.

just looked up Licensing for Virtual environments. It seem as long as my desktop is license, I'm free to create up to 4 virtual environment for testing. in this case, jump back on the fast ring for windows 10. I might send a tweet out to windows 10 team to confirm...

zulu208

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
the windows 10 upgrade faq? I didn't read that but binged up: Licensing for virtual environments scenarios. it is the first link.

zulu208

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
O yeah I read that FAQ but it doesn't address upgrading from 10240 to the RTM of the Insider build on virtualbox. One would assume that Microsoft would have me down for two keys, tied to one email address since I upgraded from 10240 to RTM on the virtualbox and upgraded windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro on my laptop.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
O yeah I read that FAQ but it doesn't address upgrading from 10240 to the RTM of the Insider build.

In terms of what's important for activation it does, because there is no difference. An in-place upgrade must have occurred at least once.

As long as you allow all Windows Updates to be applied, there is no difference between 10240 IP and 10240 RTM. One automatically becomes the other with a few updates.

zulu208

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I hope you are right. Trying to active the license and getting "Error code: 0xC004C003." I sure do like Hyper-V more than Virtualbox.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6