09-14-2018 04:51 PM
106 12345
tools
    Thanks Raheem,
    When I read your solution I thought "no way that would work, how can simply rebooting
    your widows session in safemode fix the problem?" Well I tried it, when in safemode I
    noticed the Start Menu was working. So I rebooted in normal mode and it was still working.
    02-06-2016 11:00 PM
    Wow. Clean reboot worked on a nearly 8 year old machine recently upgraded to Windows 10 that didn't react well to an automatic Windows update. Thanks Raheem.
    02-14-2016 10:14 AM
    BLAH! This drives me nuts. The person posted his/her problem! No one cares if someone else is having the same problem. If you dont have an answer to this persons question. Then dont reply. I am only replying because this is pet peeve,
    Who the he77 wants to read through 10 responses of "Yeah I got the same issue, yeah I got the same issue"
    02-14-2016 10:36 PM
    I did it with no MS account disconnection. And not even right clicks on Windows logo worked for me. But this is the way I got it back to work again:

a) Press the Windows + R key on the keyboard.
    b) In the Run window type MSCONFIG and click Ok.
    c) As first click the Boot tab and check Safe Boot, option Minimal. Dont check any other boxes.
    d) On the General tab, click to select the option Selective startup, and make sure the Load startup items box option is check and Use original boot configuration is unchecked.
    e) On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.
    f) Click OK and then click Restart.
    g) Windows starts up in Safe mode. Make sure all the Apps and icons in Task bar are dispalyed. Right click on Windows logo started to work for me.
    h) Press the Windows + R and run MSCONFIG again. On the General tab, click to select the option Normal startup, click OK and Restart.
    i) Windows started up with no problems on my computer at this moment.
    02-15-2016 06:03 AM
    my start button doesn't work, where do I start?
    02-15-2016 04:54 PM
    Raheem Baker, yours solution worked. Thanks a ton 😊
    02-19-2016 01:08 PM
    That is exactly my reason also for registering:P
    Raheem Baker's solution works for me also :D yeey!
    02-21-2016 10:14 AM
    Thank you for your help guys!
    02-22-2016 10:53 AM
    Way to Go Raheem, This worked nicely!
    02-22-2016 09:39 PM
    I found this approach worked well.... re:

Create an MSCONFIG shortcut on desktop.
    Boot in safe mode + network
    Then uncheck safe mode and start normally
    Voila my Task bar is working again. Thanks very much, it's been doing my head in.

02-23-2016 10:52 PM
    Raheem Baker's solution worked for me too. Many thanks to him for the clear instructions. I was able to follow them myself and solve my problem.
    02-25-2016 04:35 PM
    I also registered just to be able to say thanks for this simple and very effective advice. My HP laptop wasn't even 3 months old when this frustrating problem started. I'm very grateful I came across your post.
    Thanks a lot Raheem.
    02-26-2016 08:18 AM
    if you switch msconfig this way then back, how will that work beyond the one reboot? has it worked across a dozen boots aka several weeks? my asus exhibited this behavior twice within the first week of win10 upgrade. i never reboot, sleep/wake my machine for months at a time. since the win10 upgrade its been forced to reboot 2-3x, and had a 'faulty hardware' bsod yesterday, so i'm willing to reboot again, but it'd be great if posters got reminders 3-4 weeks later asking us to confirm that an alleged fix is still working and have us note how many sleep/wake/days its been running before calling it fixed. thanks. here goes nuthin.
    02-29-2016 01:31 PM
    Nice one Raheem Baker, worked a treat
    03-02-2016 06:56 AM
    I have the same problem of a NON-functioning Taskbar. And none of the fixes I've found has solved the problem.

I see Microsoft throwing slop together and expecting their customers to test it and fix it for them. What a deal. The saying you get what you pay for comes to mind. Considering Windows 10 was free, I still consider it overpriced.

I've been with Windows since Windows 95 and every version seems to get worse, more error prone, and more convoluted.
    03-16-2016 07:35 PM
    I have this problem occasionally on my mother's PC (she's my Win10 guinea pig). It seems to happen after Windows updates have been installed. I gave her an account with limited permissions so she doesn't get in too much trouble, but I think it causes problems when updates are installed. I usually have to login as the admin and let it do its thing then everything goes back to normal.
    03-16-2016 08:34 PM
    Well I was happy for about five minutes as Raheems solution seemed to do the trick on my task bar, my start button still didnt work properly. Five minutes later task bar once again stopped working.
    03-17-2016 01:30 PM
    "My solution was to right click the task bar, then under properties, navigation tab, I checked the box that said "Replace Command Prompt with Windows PowerShell in the menu when I right-click the lower left corner or press Windows key+X." Click apply and OK."

this really works .. after I tried all the rest.. many thanks
    03-18-2016 02:16 AM
    ***YOU MUST HAVE THE WINDOWS FIREWALL SERVICE RUNNING FOR THIS TO WORK***
    1. Find C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe
    2. Right-click and Run as Administrator
    3. Copy this line:
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    4. Right-click in the Powershell window to Paste and then press Enter.
    5. There is no need to restart. The fix should implement right away.
    If you have previously disabled Windows Firewall or do not have it running, the above steps will result in errors. Use the steps below to enable Windows Firewall and the reverse if you wish to turn it off again afterwards.
    1. Right-click the Start button -> Click Run
    2. Type Services.msc and press Enter
    3. Scroll down to find Windows Firewall
    4. Right-click then click Properties
    5. Under Startup Type dropdown -> Select Manual. Click Apply
    6. In the top left portion of the Services Window, Click Start this service.
    7. Now follow the steps in the first section, and it should work.

Regards,
    Joseph Paul
    03-21-2016 06:11 PM
    Need used powershell
    03-21-2016 07:27 PM
    i am facing the same problem. my pc is dell inspiron 15 .. what can be done?
    03-22-2016 08:03 AM
    Nothing worked for me .... until I uninstalled Dropbox, rebooted and re-installed Dropbox... and everything works fine again....
    04-04-2016 01:51 PM
    I have had the same problem for the last two weeks, although it seems to be only associated with my login (main account) and does not appear to have happened yet on my wife's account. My start/taskbar works fine for about 5 minutes, then stops responding. I haven't tried any of the fixes listed above, but the simplest works in a pinch- just log off and log back in. I'll try Raheem's touted fix, although it is odd that this fix from last year will work with something that must have happened in the last couple weeks after an update. we'll see....
    04-04-2016 11:58 PM
    I had a friend that asked me to fix his computer as he kept getting an error saying the Start menu doesn't work that restarting would fox it. Well after playing with it I realized that then start menu did work at all, cortana didn't work and the task bar didn't work. I tried a SFC scan, The Powershell script and nothing worked. I also wouldn't allow me to create a new account. I found the commmands to add a user by running the command prompt as administrator

The account I created was a local user account with Admin rights

net user username password /ADD

Then i had to make that account administrator

net user /add useraccountname mypassword

net localgroup administrators useraccountname /add

When I rebooted Windows began doing the setup of the account and soon the home screen came up with the same shortcuts as the old accoun.
    04-05-2016 07:58 AM
    Thanks Raheem.
    It worked like magic.

Kuty
    04-06-2016 09:57 AM
106 12345