Windows 10: This PC doesn't have enough RAM

Skellers

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I can't get as far as installing Windows10. The "Get Windows 10 app" tells me that this PC doesn't have enough RAM, so says I can't install it. If I try to manually create the media from the Media Creation Tool, it downloads then says: "You need to install at least 2GB RAM before you can install and run Windows 10. Contact the PC manufacturer to see if you can install more RAM." The only option is to close the window.

I am running Windows 7 Pro x64. I have 8GB RAM. Here's the screen dump from the Get Windows 10 app with my computer info in the background:

PC can't run W10.PNG

Anyone else have this problem? Has anyone found a way to get past it?

Any help to do so will be very much appreciated.

Skellers

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
As I say in my original post: if I try to manually create the media from the Media Creation Tool, it downloads then says: "You need to install at least 2GB RAM before you can install and run Windows 10. Contact the PC manufacturer to see if you can install more RAM."

The only option is to close the window.

Skellers

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, I think I see what you mean - I will try the option of creating a disc/USB drive for a different PC and try to install it from that. Update to follow.....

Skellers

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I've tried the suggestion of removing the update and reinstalling through a further Windows Update. It still presents the same problem.

I have now tried to update with the downloaded ISO - if I try to upgrade within Windows 7, I still get the same error - it tells me I need to install at least 2GB RAM - effectively suggesting my PC is devoid of any RAM. I have, however, had success in booting W10 setup from a USB stick and doing a custom install. The upgrade option is not allowed and it says to run this within Windows 7. The custom install obviously didn't let me keep any files, etc and does not allow me to activate windows, but it does at least demonstrate that my PC is able to run Windows 10 perfectly well. As per the screen shot below, the freshly installed Windows 10 sees that I have 8GB RAM. My problem now is to get it activated - something I will have to speak to Microsoft about, no doubt. If they won't do it, I will be back to square one.

Capture.PNG

Skellers

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I am quite sure there is an issue here with the RAM info presented in msinfo32.exe (System Information). Under Windows 7/8. Although System Information told me "Total Physical Memory" was 8.00GB, "Installed Physical Memory (RAM)" said: "Not Available".

A support article (which I am not permitted by this forum to link to because I haven't made enough posts yet) says this is the way in which BIOS reports to the OS and suggests a BIOS update to fix it. Not much use to people who have the most up-to-date BIOS for their PC like I do.

I spoke to Microsoft after my 'custom install' and asked for help in activating it. I had spent 5 hours the previous day with a Microsoft Tech connected to my PC trying to solve the problem. They couldn't. I told the person on the phone I had finally managed to install it as a custom install, but they told me they couldn't change the key for me to activate Windows because they didn't have any. They told me I could buy one from a shop or re-install Windows 7 and upgrade through Windows Update. I reminded them I couldn't do that because the upgrade told me I didn't have enough RAM! Hopeless.

I have now finally upgraded from within Windows 7, but my workaround probably won't be helpful to most people. I achieved my upgrade by using two other 1GB RAM DIMMs and then put my 8GB back in after it had been installed. Windows 10 now happily reports my 8GB both in System Information and within the basic system info window.

I will be interested to see if Microsoft bothers to do anything to resolve this as it seems there are quite a few people with this issue. Best of luck to everyone with this very irritating issue.

Kunal Agrawal1

Aug 15, 2017
Visit site
I was running across same issue, here is how i fixed,
I disabled Windows Management Instrumentation by pressing Win+R -> msconfig then selecting the tab Services and finding the Windows Management Instrumentation then unchecking it.
Now either if you have patience click reboot, and if you don't patience like me then go to Win+R -> services.msc then find Windows Management Instrumentation and click stop, now all the related services will stop. Now just restart the upgrade assistant and it should work fine!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes