Cannot activate after upgrade from OEM

Roberto Remedio

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Hello there!

I did the upgrade with the media creation tool - "Upgrade this PC" option and my Windows wasn't activated. Using the "Activate" button gets me a "Windows can't be activated. Try again later" message (I'm on Brazilian Portuguese language, so the actual English message may be a little different).

After some web searching, I tried a variety of slmgr commands that all return error messages saying I'm on a "non-core edition" and none of the slui options give any result (not even errors, they just don't do anything). Clicking on the error detail link on the activation page shows a blank popup.

Product key information shows *****- opposed to *****-XXXXX I've seem in many screenshots of other people having activation problems.

My previous OS was Windows 7 SP1 OEM that came shipped with the laptop and was never formatted (and the hardware was never changed). I kept my personal data while making the upgrade.

Another issue I'm having which I don't know if it is related or not to the activation problems, is that Window Update have tried and failed many many times to install package KB3074683.

For the record, the activation screen was different and I haven't received any message about the system not being activated before creating a Microsoft account in the XBox app (and I still log on the computer with my local account).

Can someone point me any directions on how to activate my Windows 10? I'd like to make a clean install but I'm afraid of doing so before my I get my license and not be able to roll back to Win7 if I can't activate it.

Thanks!

voludar

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Don't worry about it. The same happened to me. The key is different because once you upgrade from 7 or 8, it converts to a Windows 10 key. There is a big strain on the authentication servers right now, you can either wait or try what I did. Repeatedly click 'Authetnicate' until it succeeds, like 20 times probably (not joking). Don't re-enter your old key, just click the 'Authenticate' button, It worked for me, good luck!

Roberto Remedio

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, I was afraid the "non-core edition" thing could mean I have some problem in my installation. Clicking that button several times (at least 100 times) haven't worked yet, so I guess I'll have to wait.

Roberto Remedio

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Just a follow up: I got in touch with Microsoft support and there was indeed an error in my installation. After reverting back to Win 7 and upgrading it again, it was finally activated and many bugs were gone. :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo