How to map OneDrive as a Drive Letter in Windows 10

albertico

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Looks like Microsoft's own "File History" backup app in Windows 8.1 does not allow OneDrive once it's been mapped. I'll check out other backup utilities though.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Does it still sync, like what if I'm offline and want to drop something in, will it upload later? Can you make files available offline? Then just keep this on an external drive?

Trying to make my smaller new laptops useable with sd cards...

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Looks like Microsoft's own "File History" backup app in Windows 8.1 does not allow OneDrive once it's been mapped. I'll check out other backup utilities though.
That's a shame. I would imagine, though, that Windows will only do "File History" to a drive that is always available. Since it is possible you may not always be "connected" to a particular network, then it refuses to work with a network drive.

Does it still sync, like what if I'm offline and want to drop something in, will it upload later? Can you make files available offline? Then just keep this on an external drive?

Trying to make my smaller new laptops useable with sd cards...

This has zero affect on how OneDrive works. If you drop a file to this mapped drive, it will go straight to OneDrive without being saved on your local machine, unless you drop it to a folder that is set up to be synced.

You can make folders available offline and they will still be synced to your OneDrive folder. I'm not sure if the OneDrive folder can be set to removable storage. Never tried it. Not sure what other issues that would introduce should the drive not be available when OneDrive needs to sync. Would probably cause errors.

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
This is really excellent.Thanks for the easy to follow tutorial and thanks for bringing this feature to my attention.Can I just ask.

When I put a file in this drive,is it synched to OneDrive without taking any space on my local storage ?

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
When I put a file in this drive,is it synched to OneDrive without taking any space on my local storage ?
Yes.
If you copy a file from your device to this drive, then you will have the file in the original location AND your OneDrive. If you MOVE a file to the mapped drive letter, then it will be removed from your device and placed on OneDrive. Quite handy to have if you need to conserve space on your device.

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Yes.
If you copy a file from your device to this drive, then you will have the file in the original location AND your OneDrive. If you MOVE a file to the mapped drive letter, then it will be removed from your device and placed on OneDrive. Quite handy to have if you need to conserve space on your device.

yes very handy,thanks.

Will it still work if I uninstall the OneDrive app.I would like to get rid of the duplication of it coming up in file explorer

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
yes very handy,thanks.

Will it still work if I uninstall the OneDrive app.I would like to get rid of the duplication of it coming up in file explorer

I'm no expert on the OneDrive app itself or what uninstalling the OneDrive app will do. OneDrive is pretty well integrated into Windows 10, so I'm not sure that you could "get rid" of it entirely, or what problems that would introduce.

However, this procedure will not just work in Windows 10, but in Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, and XP. It is not dependent on the OneDrive app to work. You could even map a drive from a Mac if you wanted to, or even from Linux. As long as the OS can handle mapping network drives, you theoretically should be able to do this in one way or another on that OS.

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm no expert on the OneDrive app itself or what uninstalling the OneDrive app will do. OneDrive is pretty well integrated into Windows 10, so I'm not sure that you could "get rid" of it entirely, or what problems that would introduce.

However, this procedure will not just work in Windows 10, but in Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, and XP. It is not dependent on the OneDrive app to work. You could even map a drive from a Mac if you wanted to, or even from Linux. As long as the OS can handle mapping network drives, you theoretically should be able to do this in one way or another on that OS.
I Had a look and it seems OneDrive can only be removed completely from windows through changing local computer policy but this prevents all apps from using files from it.Best just to leave it be I think

kiloeightone

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone who has mapped OneDrive to a network drive folder and been using it for a while give me a quick heads-up on what to expect? Just if its useful, stable, any problems etc.

kiloeightone

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Incidentally, after days of messaging OneDrive on twitter about auto backup of camera roll (without sync) they sent me to a chat operator, who told me yes its doable on W10 but I would need to phone them to find out how to do it.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Like it, as long as it keeps everything on line, I have 225gb on my one drive (all free) but, using about 90gb, so with a 150gb partition for Windows 10 on my SSD, you can see my issue.

EditL I set it up, Nice, drag and drop right on to it... simple enough too, Does this work in Windows 7/8 as well to show up as a drive ?

Sorry, should of read the whole thread, D'oh !
However, this procedure will not just work in Windows 10, but in Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, and XP. .

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone who has mapped OneDrive to a network drive folder and been using it for a while give me a quick heads-up on what to expect? Just if its useful, stable, any problems etc.
I set it up yesterday evening and it works very well.Although I have had one or two problems.I cannot get the drive to automatically sign in each time the PC restarts.I also can't seem to add large files to the drive.I tried adding a movie which looked like it was copying over,but when it was done it just showed an empty file with 0kb size.I did add a few music albums which went in fine.I intend to upload films through my browser in the future

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Incidentally, after days of messaging OneDrive on twitter about auto backup of camera roll (without sync) they sent me to a chat operator, who told me yes its doable on W10 but I would need to phone them to find out how to do it.
Sounds like the old, "passing of the buck" routine.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...can't seem to add large files to the drive.I tried adding a movie which looked like it was copying over,but when it was done it just showed an empty file with 0kb size...

Is the movie file greater than the single file limit of OneDrive? (Should be 10GB or less... Not sure if that is fully implemented or not. The old limit was 2GB)

Did you use Drag and Drop? Or a more traditional Upload method?

Internet speed is good?

thundr51

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
With 2 factor auth, it seems like the password doesn't stay. I followed the instructions, but as soon as I reboot I need to generate another password, even if I use the remember credentials.

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Is the movie file greater than the single file limit of OneDrive? (Should be 10GB or less... Not sure if that is fully implemented or not. The old limit was 2GB)

Did you use Drag and Drop? Or a more traditional Upload method?

Internet speed is good?

Yea I initially tried to copy over 30gigs of movies to free up space on my hard drive(drag and drop).Took about 2 hrs which seemed wrong to me and then all files were empty on the mapped drive.I then tried to copy over a 800mb avi movie which was empty to.

I wonder does uploading continue long after the file has been copied over

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Testing with a 699MB .avi.

My internet is really slow. The file copy bar went surprisingly fast... It took it a few more minutes to show in OneDrive. I just dropped it in the root folder BTW.

Still not streaming though... It might be buffering. I'll check back later.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It was buffering. The vid just started playing, then stopped to buffer more.

I know my internet and am 100% certain it must still be uploading in the background. There is no way 699MB does not take hours at my bandwidth.

Point is I dumped it in the root folder, the icon for the video appeared. It would seem to be uploading in the background and it is streamable.

Check your steps in setting it up as a network drive... Maybe try just placing files in root and moving them to a folder once you know they are really there...

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
It was buffering. The vid just started playing, then stopped to buffer more.

I know my internet and am 100% certain it must still be uploading in the background. There is no way 699MB does not take hours at my bandwidth.

Point is I dumped it in the root folder, the icon for the video appeared. It would seem to be uploading in the background and it is streamable.

Check your steps in setting it up as a network drive... Maybe try just placing files in root and moving them to a folder once you know they are really there...

I know my setup is good.I've dropped I a couple f albums and they've all synced with my phone perfectly. I would say the larger files upload in the background somehow.Anyway,I'm gonna use my browser to upload movies in the future.least then I can get an accurate estimate of progress

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05