Virtual desktops?

jason2234

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Did i imagine this or did i see a load of videos to do with multiple desktops. Do you need a certain version or do I in fact live in my own world where i imagined this as a feature!

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
It's clever how they've integrated virtual desktops into the task switcher so seamlessly. However, they are limited - for instance, they don't persist, so you have to create new ones each time you restart the computer, and you can't assign programs to desktops, like you can with most of the third party ones.

Still, I'm glad they've implemented them.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
It's clever how they've integrated virtual desktops into the task switcher so seamlessly. However, they are limited - for instance, they don't persist, so you have to create new ones each time you restart the computer, and you can't assign programs to desktops, like you can with most of the third party ones.

Still, I'm glad they've implemented them.
Nice to know they don't persist. Hadn't checked that yet. Back before I retired from programming (and other ventures), I used multiple desktops all the time. It was nice to be able to assign programs to specific desktops and have them automatically go there. I just don't run as many programs at once as I used to, so not as big a deal for me personally now, but still, some of the advanced features would be nice.

Then again, if Microsoft made all the built-in OS stuff as powerful as all the 3rd party alternatives, it would put a lot of 3rd party programmers out of business. It makes multiple desktops available to the masses who have never heard of it.

xFalk

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a two monitor set up for my desktop. Is it possible to have a different desktop show on each monitor at the same time?

floppyedonkey

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I think you pretty much answered your own question. Why would you think an extended desktop would all of a sudden act like individual desktops?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
That's not working. My desktop is extended onto both monitors so when I create a new desktop, it also extends to both monitors.

Windows 10 comes with "basic" multiple desktop management. You'll need 3rd party software to do what you're asking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel