My laptop cant shutdown

sashoiliev

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
After the Windows 10 upgrade my laptop cant shutdown fully. When i try to turn off my PC, everything goes well at the beginning, almost everything goes off. The things that remain on looks like to be only the fans and the LED of the power button. I dont know what to do. Any help would be nice.

Windows10freak

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem, i switched back to my old operating system back but it wont enable to shutdown. I installed now windows 10 back and PLS HELP

systematicchaos

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
update your bios from your chipset manufacturers website. I've seen this issue in Dell laptops with old bios versions. What laptop are you using? Make and model?

sashoiliev

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
only solution would be to disconnect from power source and then remove the battery for about a minute or so...

I did it a lot of times, doesn't help... Almost every time when i want to turn off my PC i need to force shutdown from the button. I know that i shouldn't do this, but its the only way to turn it off. I don't know, maybe tomorrow i'll make clean install of windows 7 and wait for fix.

Larry Amato

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
open your task manger and see what systems are running....and consuming cpu..you can end processes that are running there.
Maybe that will help.. Go to the startup and figure out what programs do not need to run at startup...Other than that...???

sashoiliev

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
open your task manger and see what systems are running....and consuming cpu..you can end processes that are running there.
Maybe that will help.. Go to the startup and figure out what programs do not need to run at startup...Other than that...???

I'm sure that isn't the problem because everything goes off except the fans, the power button and maybe the CPU(it should be working when the fans are on). The HDD goes off, and i'm sure about that, all ports, the display. I saw information that the fast boot option can cause the problem and now i'll try to disable it, because the boot time is more than minute anyway.

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I have the exact same problem on my HP pavilion. So I guess HP has to provide a fix.

When I turn of my laptop, every thing seems to turn off, but indeed the fan keeps spinning and the lights still stay on. Also my cpu/gpu is making a noise, and is being hot because the air from the fan isn't cool (like when you aren't using the cpu much while turned on). The HDD indeed is turned off and disconnected. So something keeps the cpu on I guess?

Also, my laptop does this when it sometimes just goes to sleep mode too. So I don't think it's a bad thing while I is turning off. But when it goes to sleep and it does this, I cannot turn it off anymore so I could loose unsaved data.

Turning the computer forced off isn't bad in this case because the HDD is disconnected anyways. But why is this happening?

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I disable the fast boot option, but the problem remains. All my drivers are up to date. I hope there will be fix very soon.

Ah weird. But yeah there is no new bios update available and on mine everything is up to date too. First thought it was a hardware problem because I had to disconnect everything to upgrade the ram. But now I see it's because of W10 (what I thought about too).

LazyBlues

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I have just spoken to HP Customer Support as my laptop is under warranty.

I am actually appalled at their response.

They do not want to know and are re-directing people to speak to Microsoft on (UK) 0344 800 2400 to report the issues to them. She said the more people who report the issue the more likely Microsoft will create a fix for it!

She also told me that she would not recommend downloading Windows 10 until Microsoft have ironed out the bugs and gremlins!

I pointed out how this was a problem reported with HP laptops during BETA Testing of Windows 10 in April 2014 – and still she didn’t want to know.

The final response was to return my laptop back to where I bought it from and report it to them!

I can see PC World loving that!

I think I will revert back to Windows 8.1, stuff Windows 10!

BCfromKY

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue on both of my HP laptops. Doesn't happen all the time but most times. I tried holding the shift key it worked once but not always.

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I work at a computer store and some colleagues of mine are saying I should do a BIOS update (what I already figured but now has been confirmed somewhat). Hope HP releases the update soon! Got already a few new updates for HP software trough support assistant.

MorteNik

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm experiencing exactly the same with my Acer Aspire V7, so it just might not be a HP specific issue, but rather av Windows 10 issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss