DON'T UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10 if you're using Onedrive on Windows 8.1 !!!

labsii

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand this mentality, It wasn't confusing the way it was. What about it is better now?
Officially, they say that the Win 8 method has some bugs with large number of files, and also that they had three different syncing methods on different systems, and now they want to have one method that will take the best of all. However, that one method is not fully completed and placeholders will appear in several weeks or months.

I believe that this is one of the reasons why Win 10 roll out is very slow - many features are missing, there are some not so acceptable bugs, and Microsoft doesn't want people to be disappointed, so when Windows 10 becomes what it should be in several weeks or months the roll out will complete.

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Officially, they say that the Win 8 method has some bugs with large number of files, and also that they had three different syncing methods on different systems, and now they want to have one method that will take the best of all. However, that one method is not fully completed and placeholders will appear in several weeks or months.

I believe that this is one of the reasons why Win 10 roll out is very slow - many features are missing, there are some not so acceptable bugs, and Microsoft doesn't want people to be disappointed, so when Windows 10 becomes what it should be in several weeks or months the roll out will complete.

I agree it was slow, I have about 75GB of photos in my camera roll and it would take 5 - 10 seconds to load it from the explorer, it was kinda annoying sometimes

greynightshirt

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I've tried to live with the Windows 10 version of OneDrive for the past 2 1/2 weeks... The network trick was more frustrating than useful to me, unfortunately. Now I'm more than ready to roll back to 8.1.... Will try Windows 10 again next year.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it is painful. I pray that they come up with an update that makes it more like 8.1, if not exactly like it. A choice would be good. For those of us who have the space, use the placeholders, and for those with smaller devices (even my DVP8) have it like it is now.

Richard Servello

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
As the title said! If you're using Onedrive on windows 8.1, then DON'T UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10!

Here's the reason: Microsoft are downgrade their Onedrive to the version that are using on windows 7!
You will no longer be able to access any online file on your windows 8.1 computer! The "online only" mode are gone!
(But It's fine if you're using windows 7 and want to upgrade to windows 10)

My Onedrive are up to 40GB of 400GB data, but my offline files on my Surface Pro 2 are only 8GB due to low ssd storage. I can access any file I want and then turn it to "online only" to free up space. But after upgraded to windows 10, All my online files are gone on windows 10! I can't access my online file anymore unless I go to onedrive.com and download it! It's f*ck me up so bad!

Lucky it's not hard to roll back to windows 8.1, it only cost me 5 minutes... Is there anyone who have to rollback because of this problem too?

P/s: if anyone in Windows Central staff read this, can you guys make an article about this to warn orther people please?
No one warned me about this and it cost me 2 hours to update to windows 10 and just have to rollback after that.

I really hope this is fixed soon. It's so annoying. I loved offline mode.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

tonyr6

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I disagree. Onedrive on windows 8 was terrible. It crashed all the time especially when trying to save large files. I loved the way Onedrive worked in Windows 7 as it rarely crashed and that was when it was called Skydrive and I am glad it is back in Windows 10.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I've been using W10 for almost a month now and it's okay, but two most irritating things are

1. Tablet mode, with all ideas, controls, gestures, etc. from 8.1 killed off and it's just tap with a finger = click of a mouse now. And

2. OneDrive has no placeholders. Either complete directory is downloaded or you don't even see the directory. Apparently it was confusing for some less fortunate to see the file, but not having it locally. Yes, a mad concept for a thing that is an online storage. But how confusing is if you manage to turn off a sync of a directory and it just disappears and you see it nowhere unless you go to OD settings which you have to find first. And here's something to ponder on. If one has a 1TB OD subscription, how can you seamlessly use it with a device that has a 128GB local storage or even less.

Windows feedback is full of requests to bring placeholders back. I hope that for once they will actually listen and not just use it as a PR smoke how close they are to their customers. One cannot implement every whim, but this is a big thing that needs to be addressed or people turn away from W10 or OneDrive.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I disagree. Onedrive on windows 8 was terrible. It crashed all the time especially when trying to save large files. I loved the way Onedrive worked in Windows 7 as it rarely crashed and that was when it was called Skydrive and I am glad it is back in Windows 10.
If it was crashing, it has to be fixed, not the whole solution thrown out. Not everybody has a 1TB to spare on their 32GB tablet. They bull**** about how OneDrive is integrated with Windows, but try to get a single file that is currently online, because its folder is not synced. Not a trivial thing to do.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

This is exactly the reason that I believe this needs to be a setting where we get to choose which mode it operates in. There are situations where either could be better over the other. On my SP3 I'd like to have placeholders (and I'd also like them to be on the SD card), while on my DVP8, I'd rather have it the way it is on 10 and 7.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
This is exactly the reason that I believe this needs to be a setting where we get to choose which mode it operates in. There are situations where either could be better over the other. On my SP3 I'd like to have placeholders (and I'd also like them to be on the SD card), while on my DVP8, I'd rather have it the way it is on 10 and 7.

That would be the perfect solution Imo. However I doubt they would give us such an option as they want to unify the experience across the board regardless how crappy the experience.

Placeholder take some space but not the same amount as the whole file, if anything it's slightly more than .ink shortcuts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon