Why won't the App Store open in Windows 10?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

When I open the app store, the splash screen comes up and then just disappears and nothing ever happens. Had anyone seen a fix for this?

Christopher Austen

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Re: App Store won't open Windows 10

Im having the same issue
i click "store" and then it comes up with the blue back ground and loading symbol ( white dotted circles )
Then just shuts off... no error message, nothing. iv reset my computer many of times
iv checked region
time and date settings
tried the windows+ R and WSReset.exe no luck
power sell trick done nothing
its like my computer will never be able to use the store again...

Christopher Austen

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site

i managed to get store working. just go this location:-

C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.WindowsStore_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

and delete all the files and folders. open store.it will open.

Be sure to change (user_name) to your user name let me know if it works ( should do it worked for me and it sounds like we have the same issues )

Herman Benckhuisen

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site

same issue here it tries tu update and get embarrassed, shows a error code 0x80131509 and it stays like that. i checked the catch its empty. is there a way to reinstall play store?

jawilliams82

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site

I'm running into a similar problem. I upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1, and I can't access the store. Running wsreset.exe gives a registry error message, and the directory you have listed above is already empty.

Thoughts? I'd appreciate any feedback.

bludwraith

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site

Just upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro and I am having the pretty much the same issue. When I click on any app or the app store I get "This app can't open. There is a problem with [app]. Contact your system administrator about repairing or reinstalling it." I don't have any files in the folder from the previous post and when I try running WSReset.exe I get "You will need a new app to open this ms-windows-store." Then it has a check box saying "Always use this app" and if you check it the OK greyed out and won't do anything. I have also tried creating a new user and it does the same thing under the new profile as well so it isn't a corrupt profile.

Deniece Zinnecker

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site

I tried this advice, but nothing works. I download Windows 10 on Aug. 8, and as of Aug. 12, the apps store won't open. I've combed the Internet for answers, & am very frustrated at this point, because nothing resolves the issue. Microsoft, you need to make sure something works before you push it on us!!:devil:

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site

This just started happening to me today, and I already tried the above fixes, with no luck. Any other ideas? I really don't want to do a clean install on my slowing dying desktop at this point.

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site

This just started happening to me today, and I already tried the above fixes, with no luck. Any other ideas? I really don't want to do a clean install on my slowing dying desktop at this point.
Update: I ended up going a clean install. While I didn't want to do one, I have to say 10 is running much better now over all.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

cbird703

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site

I tried every method I read about with no joy. Finally I opened the hidden directory with the Windows 10 installation files
c:\$Windows.~BT\ and ran setup.exe, which does exactly that, re-installs Windows 10. ( it's just sitting there in your root directory taking up 4gb of space. May as well put it to good use!) Bingo!! Simple and painless. No running arcane command line instructions in the Powershell. Everything remained set up as I had it and the Store , Mail, calendar etc, all the darkened windows were now open for business again. I did have to download the weather app from the store but it worked easily. As usual with free advice "Your mileage may vary" but it worked great for me!

Last edited:

Christopher Austen

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site

Ok guy and girls if the clearing cashe has not worked for you you can always try this

1. go to cortana and type CMD
2. Run as Administrator ( right click over the command prompt and select "run as administrator")
3. Type This

sfc /scannow

4. hit enter and let it do what it needs to do.
this has worked for me aswell and i can confirm that this will hopefully fix most of your issues you are having with the store
and other apps

if not let me know and i will go back and find other fixes please keep me posted with any issues you are having
and make sure you have tried my prev step and this step first

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99