Windows 10 is SLOW and heats up my Laptop. WHY?

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded to W10 and I somehow feel the OS is not really "finished" (bug free).

Simple things like right clicking on the desktop takes a long time, cortana crashes sometimes, notification center does not show settings every time I open it.

So, I am not really surprised if your laptop heats up after the upgrade. I would suggest you perform a clean install but then you shouldn't even be doing that and MS should have ensured a good and bug-free upgrade.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded today. Slow boot up, less responsive, heats up and kinda laggy too. Never happened with Win 8.1 running on it. So what do you guys say? Get back to 8,1 or what?

this happened to me when i suddenly thought it is better to just let onedrive download all the content i have on the cloud.

so my guess is that your ondrive is downloading a huge amounts of data, just give it a couple of days until it finishes...

also lots of people say fiddling with the graphic drivers fixes stuff lol you could try that...

in the mean time, set it on high performance.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Why is that so? This is 8GB Ram, COREI7 4th Gen with Nvidia Geforce.

It seems like more people are having problems with the nVidia drivers. Have you tried to download the latest?
And, I Think there is a lot of stuff going on right after the first install (indexing, cleaning, updating etc etc). Let it sit for an hour or two.

(btw, I had other problems and have uninstalled W10, mainly tablet related. But If you are about to uninstall. Do it within 30 Days...)

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Just in case... I've upgraded 3 machines without issue and am about to install onto 5 other machines. I do not expect any issues so, as people have mentioned:

- Update your drivers to the Windows 10 drivers where applicable
- Do a clean install but ONLY if you know that you have the available Windows 10 drivers or can use the 8 versions (For your nic etc)

Windows 10 will and can work perfectly fine but at least throw up screen shots of Task manager/services etc.

"My car is no longer able to cruise steady at 60" - Gosh that could be a lot of things.

dalchina

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi, Two issues may contribute.
A. CPU usage.
Open task manager and see what's using your CPU time.
You may well find it's Windows Defender and/or something called 'appmodel'.
If not, please post back.

Your previous security solution may well be disabled and need updating for Win 10; if so W. Defender will be running.
Note Windows Defender only stays off for a while, then comes back on. To get it off permanently, people have posted how to do that via a reg file or group policy.
Installing a security program (if you have to) is best done after you've got control of your CPU time.

Turning to appmodel, if that's a problem, you need a simple registry edit.
Open regedit, go to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\tiledatamodelsvc and delete (or modify)
%systemroot%\system32\svchost.exe -k wspackemanager
and reboot.

B. Your graphics driver.
I found a basic MS driver installed after upgrading when I had expected Nvidia. The mouse cursor was sticky.
About 4 hours after booting up, I got an Nvidia driver installed via automatic update- which fixed the problem.
Check Device Manager and see what driver you have.

Good luck

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Have the surface pro 3 had issues with overheating and the fan going off quickly once booted up on windows 10 preview for about a month or so, then the last update on the preview i guess helped and it went away. THen it came back a few days later where the sp3 would just heat up with minimal usage and significant battery drain.

So i opened up task manager and let it sit there and see what the hell was causing heating when not really in use. Noticed there was one task using almost 20% of my cpu consistently called "wsaapx" or something like that, apparently it is a windows store process or something. Looked it up and it seems other had issues with this task on windows 8 as well.

So i rebooted and teh wsaapx came up again, but this time, it went away and my sp3 didn't heat up or the fan didni't go off quickly like it did. So i figured it was that, so since then i've checked for this task to come up and so far it hasnt.

I dont know what would happen if i end task, but for me, that was what was causing my heating issue.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Drivers.

I had the same issue on my HP laptop, but once I'd installed the correct graphics drivers, the slowness as reduced, though not eliminated. To install the drivers, I opened the Management console, right clicked the entry for graphics, and clicked UPDATE.

NiteCourt

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Do a search for "Show Me Tips" Causing High CPU Utilization in Windows 10. (Can't post a link, not enough points) It may help.

Pinito-kun

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I know what a clean install is. I didnt choose to do so. Im currently using 523Gb of my 889GB. Its going to take me ages to backup. I have all of my work stuff and all other data in it. I wanted it to be the same. Now a clean install will change everything :/

Unless you have a particular software you don't want to reinstall or that cannot be reinstalled due to whatever reason, I don't see how it could take you ages to back up files. I backed up over 700GB of files by creating a partition. After creating partition "D", I created folders for Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music, and Videos in such partition and then I went to partition "C" and moved the location of every single one of those original folders to the ones I created in "D" by right-clicking on them and going to "Properties" and then clicking on the "Location" tab. Once you've moved everything to partition "D", all you need to do is clean-install on "C" and you won't lose anything.

Roman73

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
do nothing, just instal proper drivers and wait 2 or 3 days, till system "settle down". They are a lot of optimization processes on background. You will see after a few days. My personal experience with several computers upgraded form win 7 to 10 or win 8.1 to 10. :)

Steve047

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
Same snag here. My 8.1 was at the desktop in 25 seconds. Win 10 takes 2 minutes to get to the same point. I have found a fix that cuts the boot time in half (still a minute, though!)
Open File Explorer (Win key+E), Select This PC, from Devices and Drives, Right click your C:\ drive, Properties, Advanced System Settings.

Select Advanced tab, In the Startup and Recovery part, select Settings, in the Time to display list of operating systems, I changed the default 30 seconds to 5 seconds. It cut the boot time in half.

Also done via Control Panel, System, Advanced System settings, etc.

HTH
Steve

Last edited:

Irfan Yousaf

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
I upgraded the windows yesterday, same heating up and slowing down issue facing. :( :angry:
But when I saw in task manager, one of the application was using about 30% CPU. See screenshot: :shocked:
2015-08-17_1415.png
And when I ended it, then my laptop was good, and was not heating up. Maybe MS representative can address this problem...?? :unhappy:

Blackberry-Prince

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Just did a clean install as all of you folks suggested. Installing the necessary drivers, just went to the Lenovo website and downloaded all of the drivers for windows 10 for my notebook. Now gonna land up to the Nvidia website and install the drivers for my system. Will get back in 3 days to see if anything worked or not.

Lesley Chambers

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Help mine too. Since installing Windows 10 everything on my laptop is SLOW. It takes an age to boot, then ages for anything to open up.

Can I restore my system to its original Windows 7 please anyone??

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Help mine too. Since installing Windows 10 everything on my laptop is SLOW. It takes an age to boot, then ages for anything to open up.

Can I restore my system to its original Windows 7 please anyone??

Search for downgrade windows 10 for instructions.

I suggest you try turning off fast boot in the power options before a downgrade to check that isn't the case of issues. That option caused one of our older PCs to perhaps have symptoms like yours.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon