A bit disappointed with Microsoft edge.

Rohan Vg

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I have used edge for over a week now. I liked it initially but now its getting quite annoying. Here's why:

1. No option to choose download location for files.
  2. Can't save images directly from the browser by dragging them to a folder. Can't open images in new tab.
  3. No full screen option.
  4. No option to stop flash videos(ads) from automatically starting. (chrome has an option which lets you choose when to run plugin content)
  5. Considerable lag while scrolling a newly opened webpage.
  6. Can't highlight a word and trigger a search.
    • If Cortana is enabled, you have to highlight text > Ask Cortana > Scroll down > Search with Bing
      (Its annoying.... It also ignores your default search engine option)
    • If you have disabled location/cortana, this option disappears completely. In this case you have to copy the text > Open a new tab > Paste the text > Hit enter (Highly unintuitive)
  7. No "Save Link As" option
  8. After opening a new tab you have to manually click in the search box most of the times. (It should happen automatically. Probably a bug)
  9. No option to print selected/highlighted content
  10. You can't reload/refresh a webpage if you are in Reading View
  11. Inconsistent behaviour when you click in the address bar to copy/modify a portion of the url.

I know its still too early to complain about it but hope it gets fixed soon.
What's your experience so far?

adesonic

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Must say I too am disappointed with edge, too slow and laggy for me to use particularly with ad intensive sites, I have pinned IE to start and will continue using that until Edge is sorted out

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I am not finding it slow at all, but until I learned about the Hosts file trick from Jazmac, it was heating up my machine like crazy if I had more than two tabs open. That's totally fixed, but I do find it has some really annoying oddities that I am sure will get fixed. Like Favorites---there is literally no way to manage them unless you manually edit them in their save location--there's no way to even access them except that way. When you pull up a saved Favorite, the star icon doesn't indicate that you have saved it as a favorite.
Sometimes searches fail, like really fail--the browser doesn't even pull up results and I have to open a new tab and re-perform the search.
I know that all of these things and more are going to get fixed, but it's pretty frustrating right now. I will keep using Edge, the stuff that I like about it, I really really like. But the fixes can't come fast enough.

Live2Deliver

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
+1 for edge sucks. No intranets settings, and missing tons of stuff (and this matters) that IE have. Seems like the replacement isn't any up to standard even with the whole insider period.

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I am not finding it slow at all, but until I learned about the Hosts file trick from Jazmac, it was heating up my machine like crazy if I had more than two tabs open. That's totally fixed, but I do find it has some really annoying oddities that I am sure will get fixed. Like Favorites---there is literally no way to manage them unless you manually edit them in their save location--there's no way to even access them except that way. When you pull up a saved Favorite, the star icon doesn't indicate that you have saved it as a favorite.
Sometimes searches fail, like really fail--the browser doesn't even pull up results and I have to open a new tab and re-perform the search.
I know that all of these things and more are going to get fixed, but it's pretty frustrating right now. I will keep using Edge, the stuff that I like about it, I really really like. But the fixes can't come fast enough.

Wow, I just found the Favorites manager. Yeesh. I saved the location in file explorer to my start menu, will keep using that. It's actually much easier to use to edit Faves. I think that Hub icon is not so great. It needs to look less like Reading List and more like a real hub. Except a wheel hub is too similar to the Share icon, and a technology hub doesn't look like a thing you can easily turn into an icon.

Last edited:

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Performance is much better if you modify your hosts file as mentioned two posts above (there's a thread on this forum with instructions). As for the missing features you listed, hopefully some are coming. The OS is 3 days old.

Protocol Rahul

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
From the consumer point of view, I don't care whether it is 3 days old or 3 years, microsft hyped it so much, that it should not fall flat. I design some websites using wix.com, ie did very poorly, Spartan improved upon it, but not by much, perform still sucks, still have to use Firefox to get the work done.
Also, while launching it shows the splash screen for microseconds, but annoying. Opening multiple pages some times induce some lag, ie did better.

still expect more from updates though.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
From the consumer point of view, I don't care whether it is 3 days old or 3 years, microsft hyped it so much, that it should not fall flat. I design some websites using wix.com, ie did very poorly, Spartan improved upon it, but not by much, perform still sucks, still have to use Firefox to get the work done.
Also, while launching it shows the splash screen for microseconds, but annoying. Opening multiple pages some times induce some lag, ie did better.

still expect more from updates though.

Not having every feature under the Sun and blowing everyone else's socks off performance wise on day one isn't "falling flat".

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm not going to go as far and say it sucks, but it is missing some very important things and I'm afraid that by releasing it with Windows 10 in a mediocre state, a lot of people may be driven from it.
It REALLY needs built in ad-blocking, or at least extensions. This is probably one of the biggest issues.
Then it seems to have some select issues on certain websites. I find myself not being able to use certain features on some forums, eventually to the point where I had to DL chrome. Won't be using it regularly though.

But come on, let's stop complaining here and use the Feedback app. The best way to get Edge to improve is let them know what's wrong, and give them some time.

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm not going to go as far and say it sucks, but it is missing some very important things and I'm afraid that by releasing it with Windows 10 in a mediocre state, a lot of people may be driven from it.
It REALLY needs built in ad-blocking, or at least extensions. This is probably one of the biggest issues.
Then it seems to have some select issues on certain websites. I find myself not being able to use certain features on some forums, eventually to the point where I had to DL chrome. Won't be using it regularly though.

But come on, let's stop complaining here and use the Feedback app. The best way to get Edge to improve is let them know what's wrong, and give them some time.

Agree-- I made sure to leave some feedback and I really appreciate being able to do so in such an easy way.

HerronScott

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Missing the Save as option and not being able to load a saved folder of websites as a tab group are the primary missing features for me.

Scott

Lord Method Man

May 23, 2014
Visit site
  • No jumplists
  • No opening of new window my middle-clicking taskbar icon
  • No favorites sync, have to import synced favorites from IE
  • Related: Doesn't use Favorites folder, instead has some folder buried beneath Jimmy Hoffa somewhere in AppData\
  • No way to choose where to Download files
  • Downloads stop if you close the window instead of continuing in their own like IE

anon(9259362)

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I guess another major problem is the core principle of Windows. It tries to integrate Microsoft services in every programs. Cortana / Onenote for example. They are great products, but not everyone will be able to associate these with a browser. I personally don't like it. People will say great things about these, and they will stop using after that. They look more like one time use only features. I really want to see browser share now.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
MS wanted a new HTML rendering engine with no IE baggage. They got that. Now they need to use it in a browser that offers the same level of comfort as IE does. I think they are still working on that, that's not finished yet and will be delivered in updates.

astell

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
It isn't what I was expecting in regards to all the hype, but I like it and cannot wait for them to update it with more features. Hopefully, they can bring it up to parity with IE, Chrome, and Firefox rather quickly. I can live with some of these issues in the short term, but not the long term.

huungryshark

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Deinstalled Windows10 because nothing beats Win 8.1 Metro Browser on my dell venue 8 pro. much faster, adressbar at the bottom, better to reach with fingers. Flash etc etc. Beats EDGE any day of the week :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss