Anyone know how to get metro IE back on windows 10?

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm feeling like MS broke the thing I liked most about windows 8.
Metro internet explorer.
For those that don't know, that's the one with the address bar at the bottom that you are able to swipe back and forward. It was launched from the start screen, not the desktop.

I mainly use my tablet to go on the internet (like many people out there), not for work or productivity. Metro IE was much more touch friendly. I feel like edge is a step backwards and made something that was so simple easy into something complex.

I even feel like it's worse on my laptop, since I like to use the trackpad with my right hand, and use the bottom of the touchscreen with my left hand that I rest up against the side of the screen.

Would love to get it back, anyone have a clue how?

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Is there at least a browser that allows us to change the layout?
I'm getting increasingly annoyed that I must now reach to the top of the screen, be nice if the address bar and the back button was on the bottom.

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Shall I assume nobody has found a way to run the metro browser yet on windows 10?

I truly think edge sucks, basically it does a bunch of things that are useless to anyone that just wants to browse.

On my tablet which I am probably going to roll back like sleeve did, certain sites like ebay are absolutely horrible to use, they go unresponsive and using drop down menus is a laggy inaccurate mess.

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Also, go give feedback to Microsoft about making a full screen mode for Microsoft Edge that it is touch friendly.

Having 2 browsers was confusing enough for the average users in W8, modern IE is not a universal app, and it runs on the old IE engine. That is why Microsoft removed it. But I agree that it was the best browser for touch and it looked very sleek too. Having a full screen Edge option that mimic it will be awesome.

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Also, go give feedback to Microsoft about making a full screen mode for Microsoft Edge that it is touch friendly.

Having 2 browsers was confusing enough for the average users in W8, modern IE is not a universal app, and it runs on the old IE engine. That is why Microsoft removed it. But I agree that it was the best browser for touch and it looked very sleek too. Having a full screen Edge option that mimic it will be awesome.

You can still use the older internet explorer on windows 10.
I'll assume at this point they are trying to for everyone to force everyone into edge so they only have to support 1 browser.

Richard, as far as edge goes, on a tablet I truly can't find a single thing to like about it.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I read somewhere that only worked on the preview version of windows.
Did you get it working?
Sigh... Actually I didn't. I forgot that it was only a preview hack. I spent about 4 hours trying to re-hack it. I gave up and went back to W8.1, again

appel1

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully this will improve in future updates of Edge but I wouldn't hold my breath. Microsoft Support even told me that since I have a Surface Windows 10 isn't really for me, it is primarily for desktop users, and they recommended that I roll back to Windows 8 which I did. :\

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Oh, crap, forgot about this. Now that Windows Media Center is available for Windows 10 and working via a hack, I was going to upgrade my tablet to Windows 10.... but, this is HUGE deal.

the Meto browser on 8.1 is one of the best features for a touch scren user and I dislike 8.1 for the most part but, LOVE this feature.

I have 100% given up on Edge, what a POS, removed all the shortcuts and put IE back. It would just crash at random and reset a browser, it happened a lot, like typing this message, I would get 1/2 way through it, it would flash, reload page and I lost everything I typed. After about 10 times of that, I said screw it.

I'll try edge later after 50 or so updates to see if it's better but, at this point, I would not even suggest it to a person I hate... it's that bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans