I downloaded Windows 10, now I can't open the settings/control panel, and my anti virus is gone. What should I do?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

downloaded windows 10 now i can't open the settings/control panel, and my anti virus is gone

downloaded windows 10. saw that my anti-virus program was gone tried to open the setting/control panel and it won't open just blinks on then its gone.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: downloaded windows 10 now i can't open the settings/control panel, and my anti virus is gone

Welcome to Windows Central.

Other users have reported the exact same problem. Some solutions have been proposed, but it unclear if those solutions are conclusive. Here's one that you can try (safely):

1. Open an Elevated Powershell prompt by pressing the Windows Key, typing Powershell, then pressing Ctrl+Shift+Enter
2.Paste the following command into Powershell and execute it:
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Let us know what happens by creating a Windows Central account and responding to this thread.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if it is related but my Wife's computer would do something similar. Could open menus but clicking on anything resulted in no response. I logged in under my account and everything worked just fine. Try logging in with a different account. If everything works then maybe there is some corrupted setting in your main account. I applied the November update and now my Wife's account works just fine.

cmattau90

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I don't know if it is related but my Wife's computer would do something similar. Could open menus but clicking on anything resulted in no response. I logged in under my account and everything worked just fine. Try logging in with a different account. If everything works then maybe there is some corrupted setting in your main account. I applied the November update and now my Wife's account works just fine.

I tried using two different accounts and created a new one and had the same problem (launch the Control Panel, it briefly opens, the icons paint, then it shuts down). I can do directly to submenus like Devices and Printers or Programs and Features, but as soon as I click on Control Panel Home, the CP shuts down. I also tried the Powershell command above with no luck. I have all the latest updates.

cmattau90

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I was able to correct the problem by going back to the previous build.

BUT...now Mail, Calendar, and Store won't launch - showing same behavior as the Control Panel was. I also get the message on Updates "managed by your organization" and I'm not on a domain. Will try some things when I get home and post what I find. May have to do a clean install.

cmattau90

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
BUT...now Mail, Calendar, and Store won't launch - showing same behavior as the Control Panel was. I also get the message on Updates "managed by your organization" and I'm not on a domain. Will try some things when I get home and post what I find. May have to do a clean install.
After lots of research and trying multiple solutions, I ended up using Reset My PC and it fixed everything.

Charles Breed

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
"Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D06, The package could not be installed because a higher package is already installed."
Then it lists a couple of [ActivityId]: 8b121ee3-419f-0000-9a2b-128b9f41d101 and
8b121ee3-419f-002-8d32128b9f41d101
Any thoughts?

TopgunB

Jun 13, 2017
Visit site
Problem Control Panel opens for a few seconds then closes!
I tried many of the solutions on the net for this exact problem. All failed! I rolled back the Win 10 build and that worked. The offending build was Version 1703 Build 15063-332 and it is now Version 1607 OS Build 14393.1198. To do this Settings---Update and Security---Recovery and follow the prompts. Turn off Automatic Win 10 updates for awhile until Microsoft sorts this out!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos