Windows 10 Desktop Constant Refresh: how can I stop the constant refreshing?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

HP Probook 6470b; Update to Win10 went fine, everything working for 48 hours. While laptop was in sleep mode I heard an audible alert tone. When I went to log back on it now wanted my Microsoft log in, not my local/Windows account on the laptop. For local, I had also been using the fingerprint reader (Win 7 version as there is no Win 10 yet). It had worked, now unavailable when asking for Microsoft log in.

The real problem is after I logged onto the desktop, the screen refreshed and the system tray icons refreshed constantly every few seconds. At one point when it finally stopped, the Start Menu icon was non-responsive, and clicking the Edge icon resulted in an error.

While I have not loaded anything new into the system since it first began working, I am now troubleshooting it. First with an anti-virus scan (I'm using AVG).

I will then try a SFC check.

How can I do this if the desktop keeps refreshing? I discovered that if I boot with wi-fi OFF it will load to the desktop OK. I also changed User Account info to log on locally, not using the Microsoft account info.

As soon as I turn on wi-fi, the constant refresh begins again, and simply turning off the wi-fi button does not stop it.

Starting to suspect something trying to access and refresh itself over the net (such as Google Drive or iCloud) may be involved, but will have to slowly work these out one at a time.

If anyone else is experiencing these errors, would be interested in your results.

Harry Molloy

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 Desktop Constant Refresh

:wink:Had the constant refresh problem
Fixed it by first switch off WiFi, Then right click on start button, select the shutdow sign off and select shutdown
Then boot pc as normal - leave to do all its stuff - suggest about a couple of minutes - switch wifi back on and all was as it should be
yet to do a further restart but if this procedure required its not all that difficult

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon