How do I upgrade to Windows 10 without failure?

Conor Mayling

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I have reserved my copy of Windows 10 and have attempted five times to upgrade but it just keeps failing.
The error code is: 80240020.

I have made sure that my laptop meets the specification, which is does, and also the disk space on my harddrive too. I don't know what the cause is, but could anyone give me some advice please?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
1. Delete everything in the (C:) > Windows > SoftwareDistribution > Download folder.
2. Type and run wuauclt.exe /updatenow in Command Prompt with Administrator Priviledges.

In a matter of a few moments, your Windows 10 should start to download through Control Panel > Windows Update.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
1. Delete everything in the (C:) > Windows > SoftwareDistribution > Download folder.
2. Type and run wuauclt.exe /updatenow in Command Prompt with Administrator Priviledges.

In a matter of a few moments, your Windows 10 should start to download through Control Panel > Windows Update.

Tried that 10 times now, it seems to download but keeps failing with error 80246007

So, from a MVP post on the Microsoft forums, they suggest to download it from here and kick of upgrade this computer option.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fsoftware-download%2Fwindows10&token=JruPJPsE

Seems to be installing at this point, something people should try if they keep on failing on install.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I have reserved my copy of Windows 10 and have attempted five times to upgrade but it just keeps failing.
The error code is: 80240020.

I have made sure that my laptop meets the specification, which is does, and also the disk space on my harddrive too. I don't know what the cause is, but could anyone give me some advice please?

It's been a real crapshoot for me upgrading 7 PCs, no real answer as to "why" some failed then succeeded, two indicate display adapter incompatibility which is pretty straight forward but the others haven't been so revealing.

My only suggestion for you to try, if not done already, is a manual install using the W10 ISO and USB flash drive/DVD, I've had much better luck going that route compared to the auto-update via the W10 App/Windows Update.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't seem to be working?

Had one PC fail multiple time no matter what, I updated drivers, did clean install(s) of Win8.1, attempted auto and manual upgrades of 10, after my umpteenth try it finally succeeded, no clues as to what was ailing it other than generic error codes that took me on wild goose chases for days.

Can only suggest now that you wait for MS and manufacturers to issues updates that "may" resolve, at this point I'm finding W10 to be a hit and miss affair when it comes to upgrading.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes