Why Window 10 is downloaded without registering for the upgrade?

mintko

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I am running Windows 8.1. I have not reserved a copy of Windows 10 to be downloaded or installed yet ? I do not want to upgrade to Windows 10 right now. However, today I found a folder C:\$windows.~BT, which is of size 6.39 GB. By clicking ?Get Windows 10? logo, it still says ?Reserve your free upgrade?, which shows that I have not reserved. My question is: why Windows 10 has been downloaded to C:\$windows.~BT without asking me to download? Is it the normal behavior how Windows 10 will be downloaded? It seems that Windows 10 will ALWAYS be downloaded but it will initiate the installation/upgrade only when I would make the reservation to upgrade through ?Get Windows 10? page!

I do not want to upgrade to Windows 10 at the time, but now C:\$windows.~BT is taking up to 6.39 GB.

Another strange thing with the folder C:\$windows.~BT is that it shows (in the properties) Size: 6.39 GB and Size on disk: 4.83 GB. Why there is a HUGE difference between Size and Size on disk for this particular folder?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea