Lack of options - Microsoft's main problem is still there

Selfdestructo Bust

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I think Window 8's failure can be summed up by one phrase: lack of options. They forced their customers to adopt a touch optimized OS on their desktops and laptops. It wouldn't have been so bad if they had simply made it optional, and letting people still use their PC the way they already like it.

With Windows 10, Microsoft is finally aware that the simple solution was: options. Whenever I saw people complaining about Win8 (never had it myself), I always thought all Microsoft had to do is provide options. It boggled my mind such a huge company could not figure that out. Make the big changes optional. Let the people tailor it to their preference. That has always been the strength of Windows PCs. Some people will adopt the new interface options, some will keep the classic way. Everyone is happy.

Still, Windows 10 is lacking options in some areas. For the purpose of helping it improve, we could post Windows 10 faults that would easily be resolved by just making it optional.

Example:

On my laptop, whenever I press both trackpad buttons at the same time (same function as middle mouse-button, AKA pressing the scrollwheel on a mouse), Cortana is brought up. The problem is that I have always used that to open web links on new tabs while browsing. It's much quicker and practical than right-clicking the link and the clicking on "Open Link in new tab". I also use it to close tabs so I don't have to aim for the little X.

This would be fine if all I had to do was go into Cortana's settings and toggle off an option like "Bring up Cortana with middle mouse-button". But there is no such option. That is ridiculous. Are you telling me that none of the people that tested Windows 10 used the middle mouse-button to open new tabs while browsing?? And what about that auto-scrolling mode that can be activated by middle-clicking on a web page? (a feature missing in Edge, by the way)

So now I have to browse in a less efficient way because Microsoft tacked on a big change for the middle mouse-button function and no way to toggle it off.

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It's dependent on your touchpad drivers/software... for example I have the lenovo y50-70 and they use synaptics. If I go open the touchpad settings via the synaptics software, there are different touchpad options you can enable/disable. For me, it is a three finger tap to activate cortana and I can enable or disable that as I please. Make sure your touchpad drivers are updated though, if you don't see an option then it could be that you need to update it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss