Cortana on Android

Moondoggy

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I have Windows computers and Android phones and it's my understanding that MS has ported Cortana over to the Android platform. Before I go out and download the app I have a few questions for someone already running Cortana on an Android phone.

Pretty much everything that I use is thru Google (i.e. Mail, address book, calendar, etc) I also use the "OK Google" app with voice to get information without having to manually use an app to get it. So my questions are:

Can Cortana be configured to use Google stored info?
Can you run Cortana and OK Google at the same time without conflict? My phone came with a Motorola app that was like OK Google but you had to choose which one to use as they couldn't run at the same time.
Are there any "gotya's" running Cortana on an Android platform?
Are there any conflicts running Cortana on my Windows PC and my Android phone that I need to be aware of?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Cortana on Android is nowhere near Cortana on WP. Cortana on WP is roughly equal to Google Now on Android, so this means that Google Now on Android is much better than Cortana on Android. Probably the best reason to use Cortana on your phone(s) in your case is because it will integrate with Cortana on your W10 PCs.

"Hey Cortana" does not work on Android, so there will be no conflict there. You need to manually activate it.

One interesting thing I found: if I set a reminder with Cortana, it uses its own reminder. However, if I set an appointment, it uses the Google Calendar. I do not know if that can be manually configured; I installed Cortana and use it as it came "out of the box."

Moondoggy

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks,
That clears up a lot. I was thinking that Cortana on the Android would be more like Siri on an iPhone as OK Google is not as good as Siri I'm told.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks,
That clears up a lot. I was thinking that Cortana on the Android would be more like Siri on an iPhone as OK Google is not as good as Siri I'm told.

No, almost everyone will agree that Siri is the least of the 3 virtual assistants. Users on this forum will tend to say that Cortana is better than Google Now, but that's mostly due to this being a Microsoft fan site. I use them both.

Looking at it objectively, there are areas where each of them excel. Overall, I call them roughly similar. Google Now does not really have a personality like Cortana or Siri; it won't tell jokes or sing songs. But I find it a bit better at being "useful." It is also a bit more proactive; giving you information when you need it with no user input.

Cortana on Android is a lot like Siri on an iPhone; you're correct there. But Google Now is much better than Siri.

If someone else uses both and can give a better comparison, please do! Although I actively use all 3 platforms, I use Android the most, so most of my experience is there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo