What is the best anti virus for Windows 10?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

what is the best anti virus for windows 10?

mmmmkjagdjajhdewf

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Re: what is the best anti virus for windows 10?

To be honest, Bitdefender 2014 Free Edition has been a fantastic anti-virus. There's no need to pay for an anti-virus when 99% of people can get by with a free version. Bitdefender 2014 Free Edition is pretty much the full anti-virus from 2013. It's amazingly discrete, to the point where opening it opens a small window in the bottom right of the screen and to close it you just click out of it. It runs in the background, it's easy to uninstall if you don't like it, and it's all around great protection.
Stay away from crap like Norton or McAfee. They tend to be more like viruses than what they claim to protect from. They're constantly bugging you for attention and they're notoriously impossible to get rid of. The only time Bitdefender will notify you is when it's found a questionable file. It'll automatically quarantine it for you until you decide what to do with it.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com

Make sure you're installing it from a proper website. A good way for places to get viruses and malware onto your system is to claim to sell anti-virus software that's really just filled with horrible, snarling things.

Sachin Thakur

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
You've obviously not used Norton recently then. Yes, in the past, Norton wasn't that good, but since 1 or 2 years they've vastly improved and don't really bother you. And it's been very effective.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you find the other threads like this one, you'll get all sorts of answers.

Personally, I have Defender for light-duty secondary PC's and Avast! for those times I want bigger guns. I don't use them all the time, but they come in handy when they do.

r0st4

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site

I was using Norton for several years. But lately I became more and more upset with it so I was looking for something to switch to. McAffe is a joke, AVG is useless, ESET is not even worth mentioning and Avast... well, it seems to me it creates more problems than it solves.

With simple elimination method I ended up with Bitdefender which I didn't even know existed until few weeks ago. But so far so good. I started with trial of Internet Security 2015 and right now I already bought the full version. It's really simple and easy to use, yet powerful enough to deal with almost everything you ran across.

Acanda

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site

I strongly advise AGAINST Avast. I have used the same for some years, including in Windows 8.1 with no problem. However, you may have seen a number of associations of Avast with a critical message on Windows 10 stating Start button and Cortana do not work: the computer will also not work!. I had this message once I upgraded to Windows 10 so followed advice and removed Avast and all was well. Took up AVG free but as I preferred Avast decided to re-install into Windows 10 and all seemed well again for a few days. Unfortunately I started my PC up this morning and once again had the critical message. The only way to get my PC functioning correctly was to yet again un-install Avast. I now have Panda free, so am keeping my fingers crossed!

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Avast is an excellent choice - however, they are typically slow on supporting a new OS. It usually takes them about 1-2 months after an OS is released to be fully compatible with it.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Norton is terrible, it's so bad I consider it malware. I have used it recently because I'm stuck with it at work. There's really no such thing as fantastic A/V software, but some are better than others. Avast is ok, as is BitDefender. Personally I just use Windows Defender along with periodic scans using Malwarebytes and Hitman. I thought I read that MS had beefed up Defender in W10, not sure if that's true.

Moondoggy

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Here's a recent article from PC Magazine The Best Antivirus for 2015 | PCMag.com that said:

What's Best?
Which antivirus should you choose? Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus (2015) is the tiniest antivirus around, though its unusual detection technique doesn't jibe with some lab tests. The independent labs uniformly heap praise on Kaspersky Anti-Virus (2015). Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2015 also gets plenty of love from the labs, and in AutoPilot mode it stays out of your way. We've named these three Editors' Choice for commercial antivirus, but they're not the only products worth consideration. Read the reviews of our top-rated products, then make your own decision.

That being said...... Being rated the top AV Tool is like kids playing King of the Hill as the current King is always about ready to be knocked of by one of many contenders. I personally use Norton Internet Security which was recently updated so it would run under Windows 10. Why do I stick with Norton? Because they are consistently always up at the top of the hill with their protection and I got kind of tired with trying to keep up with whose on top.

Note that the PC Magazine article did have some links to some of the AV rating services. If you're really into wanting to track the "Best of the Best" then visit those sites and read some of their stuff on how they tested and what their results are.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro