11-27-2017 05:02 AM
87 1234
tools
    After updating to Windows 10 turned my computer ont his morning and signed in. Now desktop screen appears but keeps blacking out and reloading. Unable to open anything and tried rebooting, still happening
    08-18-2015 02:49 AM
    I have exactly the same problem, I have done this fix but it hasn't worked, computer screen is still flashing
    Both items have been disabled and computer restarted multiple times, can't figure out how to open in safe mode either, have tried F8 but it hasn't worked
    What else can I try? I need the files on my computer ASAP

Edit: figured out how to run in safe mode, ran system restore to remove recent updates but leave files untouched. Problem appeared briefly to be fixed but soon returned.

Edit #2: after system restore + restart, had to then disable the two items and restart, appears to be resolved. Computer still in airplane mode as I'm too afraid to turn internet back on yet.
    Last edited by Sarah Dallas; 08-18-2015 at 08:20 AM.
    08-18-2015 06:52 AM
    How can i thank you ENOUGH!!!! this process took 24 hrs but it worked
    08-18-2015 09:03 AM
    I figured out another solution, at least for me. Disabling those 2 services didn't work for me, but after multiple reinstalls and attempts I finally figured out the cause of the explorer crash-loop was Apple iCloud. I uninstalled that app and the problem is now solved. This might not be the problem for all of you, but I also figured out that the crash loop wasn't happening until a particular application or service started, so if you're able to watch the order that things load when windows boots, you can determine the application specific to your configuration.
    08-18-2015 03:34 PM
    You are Genius. It worked.
    Thanks a lot.
    08-19-2015 05:48 AM
    You are Genius. It worked.
    Thanks a lot.
    08-19-2015 09:53 PM
    It also worked for me and I'm sooooo very happy!!!!
    08-19-2015 09:54 PM
    From NualaMa on page 1:

Open task manager (Control+Alt+Delete)... under file (top left) "Run new task" ... type msconfig (yes it is hard to type as screen blinks, but it can be done) ... In the new box that opens (it may be behind the task manager box) go to Service Tab .... Scroll until you find 2 tasks that need to be stopped ... (1) Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel Support .... (2) Windows Error Report Service.... Disable these by unchecking .... Click Apply ... Click OK ... If you are prompted to restart, then restart computer .....

This is the main issue causing the screen to blink . .. Ironic that the items causing the errors are the solutions designed to report errors to microsoft

This definitely worked for me! Thanks NualaMa!
    chuckthibault likes this.
    08-21-2015 08:06 PM
    Definitely worked great for me too. Thank you very much
    08-21-2015 08:09 PM
    I've tried the config of the two, it still flashes and won't let me open anything up.
    08-27-2015 12:22 AM
    Just want to say thank you, thank you! It worked, I'm relieved, you're awesome!
    08-28-2015 12:56 PM
    A big thanks to Nuala and everyone who posted a solution! The blinking has stopped and my icons are reappearing one by one :-D Bless you all!!
    08-29-2015 03:57 PM
    Thank you! Same problem on a Windows 10 install on 9/1. Unchecked those and flashing stopped now more updates happening so I hope Microsoft has a fix. Do they ever read these boards?
    09-01-2015 11:24 AM
    The sad part about this so called fix is its just masking the root issue(driver problems or an application going nuts like mentioned above).

Boot into safe mode, go to the event viewer and find out what's actually crashing!
    09-01-2015 01:11 PM
    Hi peter,

There are two services screens one can be used to turn off the two functions. Took me a couple of times to see it.
    09-05-2015 01:33 PM
    hi there,
    so blinking screen issue happens if you download or get some update that is not compatible with win10.
    I had the same issue, I looked on internet and forums, and there was one fix where you have to disable some services, and it looked that for most people that fix worked, but not for me.
    Some this is what I did in order to fix mine:
    press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC and that will open Task Manager (TM)
    In TM go to file,new task and type msconfig then press ok
    in system configuration select "Selective startup" but make sure that Load Startup Items is unchecked. press ok then restart.

Hope this helps your issue,
    harisjasar
    09-10-2015 11:32 AM
    OMG! Worked great, Thank you so much!
    10-29-2015 02:06 PM
    I had the flashing screen problem (which is really a flashing desktop problem) yesterday after letting Windows install the first Windows 10 update. If the screen flashes, and then the icons flash, that's an indication that Windows Explorer, which runs the desktop, is crashing. This is often caused by an extension. Windows Explorer loads the extension, it crashes, Explorer crashes, and the cycle repeats once or twice a second. You can also start the Task Manager with Ctrl+Shift+Esc and you may see Windows Error Reporting using the CPU as it forwards reports to Microsoft.

The way to diagnose this is to use the Event Viewer. In the Task Manager (which is still usable when this happens), pick File->Run and enter "eventvwr.msc" without quotes. Click "Windows Logs", "System" and then click on one of the red stop signs (you may have to look at several).

That will usually give you the name of the offending DLL that Windows File Explorer is trying to load. Uninstall that application and the problem should be fixed.

In my case, it was actually a Microsoft DLL: cortana.dll that was crashing. I had turned off Cortana because it's not useful to me on a desktop system and I thought its data gathering was too intrusive. So I turned that back on, rebooted, and that solved the problem. I suspect I could turn it back off now, and just haven't gotten to that yet.

But there are any number of Windows File Explorer add-ins that could cause this problem, including iCloud.

I hope this helps someone. Wasted a bunch of time on this.
    11-18-2015 11:35 AM
    Ok, I usually never reply to these things because I am a two finger typer and HATE typing, but in this case it is deserved. I had issue with the flashing as did others on an update to windows 10. I found this site on a Google search for my issue. I do not know which one it was, but on this forum it said I should remove that muscle thing (which I had installed0 uncheck the two services and uninstall Norton. so I did all three in safe mode and BINGO! I do not know which of, or if all of three worked, but it worked. THANK YOU AL,L SO MUCH for sharing!!!
    11-21-2015 07:35 PM
    I had the flashing screen problem (which is really a flashing desktop problem) yesterday after letting Windows install the first Windows 10 update. If the screen flashes, and then the icons flash, that's an indication that Windows Explorer, which runs the desktop, is crashing. This is often caused by an extension. Windows Explorer loads the extension, it crashes, Explorer crashes, and the cycle repeats once or twice a second. You can also start the Task Manager with Ctrl+Shift+Esc and you may see Windows Error Reporting using the CPU as it forwards reports to Microsoft.
    The way to diagnose this is to use the Event Viewer. In the Task Manager (which is still usable when this happens), pick File->Run and enter "eventvwr.msc" without quotes. Click "Windows Logs", "System" and then click on one of the red stop signs (you may have to look at several).
    That will usually give you the name of the offending DLL that Windows File Explorer is trying to load. Uninstall that application and the problem should be fixed.
    In my case, it was actually a Microsoft DLL: cortana.dll that was crashing. I had turned off Cortana because it's not useful to me on a desktop system and I thought its data gathering was too intrusive. So I turned that back on, rebooted, and that solved the problem. I suspect I could turn it back off now, and just haven't gotten to that yet.
    But there are any number of Windows File Explorer add-ins that could cause this problem, including iCloud.
    I hope this helps someone. Wasted a bunch of time on this.
    I have the same issues as you. I disabled Windows Error Reporting service and that seemed to fix the issue for me.
    11-22-2015 09:18 PM
    I can't take credit for this but it is a fix that worked for me. Someone by the user name of NualaMa at PC Adviser suggested this and it worked for me and others. I felt like I needed to pass this on because I know your anguish. One thing is, though, you will have to figure out how to boot into safe mode, which took me a while to figure out. Google it if you need to know how to do that. Anyhow here's NualaMa's suggestion which I cut and paste. Good luck!

"There is a simple fix

Open task manager ... under file (top left) "Run new task" ... type msconfig (yes it is hard to type as screen blinks, but it can be done) ... In the new box that opens (it may be behind the task manager box) go to Service Tab .... Scroll until you find 2 tasks that need to be stopped ... (1) Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel Support .... (2) Windows Error Report Service.... Disable these by unchecking .... Click Apply ... Click OK ... If you are prompted to restart, then restart computer .....

This is the main issue causing the screen to blink . .. Ironic that the items causing the errors are the solutions designed to report errors to microsoft"
    This worked very well for me thank you very much it is very hard to type in the blinking screen and it will require time and patience but it can be done
    11-26-2015 11:06 AM
    I can't take credit for this but it is a fix that worked for me. Someone by the user name of NualaMa at PC Adviser suggested this and it worked for me and others. I felt like I needed to pass this on because I know your anguish. One thing is, though, you will have to figure out how to boot into safe mode, which took me a while to figure out. Google it if you need to know how to do that. Anyhow here's NualaMa's suggestion which I cut and paste. Good luck!

"There is a simple fix

Open task manager ... under file (top left) "Run new task" ... type msconfig (yes it is hard to type as screen blinks, but it can be done) ... In the new box that opens (it may be behind the task manager box) go to Service Tab .... Scroll until you find 2 tasks that need to be stopped ... (1) Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel Support .... (2) Windows Error Report Service.... Disable these by unchecking .... Click Apply ... Click OK ... If you are prompted to restart, then restart computer .....

This is the main issue causing the screen to blink . .. Ironic that the items causing the errors are the solutions designed to report errors to microsoft"
    This worked....sort of. I can now open the control panel, which is a major step forward, but I am still having my desktop "refresh" every few minutes. So many bugs with this upgrade. I had to first fix the "can't open app as built-in admin" and now I just fixed the problem of opening the control panel, and now onto the desktop refresh issue. Lame.
    12-13-2015 07:53 PM
    The sad part about this so called fix is its just masking the root issue(driver problems or an application going nuts like mentioned above).

Boot into safe mode, go to the event viewer and find out what's actually crashing!
    Thank you for this bit of info. I have never needed to use this feature, and it works great. I was able to track down the issue to the printer:
    "The print spooler failed to regenerate the printer driver information for driver Microsoft XPS Document Writer for environment Windows x64. Win32 system error code 1797 (0x705). This can occur after an operating system upgrade or because of data loss on the hard drive."

My printer didn't show up after the upgrade, so I installed it....everything is now back to normal. Wasted a whole day getting this upgrade to work like it should. SMH.
    12-13-2015 08:42 PM
    This fix worked perfectly. Thanks.
    12-20-2015 10:19 AM
    someone in another thread said that the Nvidia driver causes the issue. Try uninstalling that and see..
    Thank you soooooo much this worked perfectly, just got this laptop and panicked, thank you again!!
    12-30-2015 11:31 PM
87 1234