Why does my desktop screen keep flashing after installing Windows 10 and can't open anything?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Desktop screen keeps flashing after installing Windows 10 and can't open anything

After updating to Windows 10 turned my computer ont his morning and signed in. Now desktop screen appears but keeps blacking out and reloading. Unable to open anything and tried rebooting, still happening

manomic

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: Desktop screen keeps flashing after installing Windows 10 and can't open anything

I had a similar issue with my laptop as well, unfortunately I did not find any way to fix it. Its some software / driver incompatibility. I have a Lenovo Y50. Ultimately I had to reset and upgrade the installation from the initial restore partition from Lenovo, that worked.

You can login using safe mode if you want to take some back ups. It works properly in safe mode.

nbentley

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem. I installed Windows 10 on a Toshiba laptop that was operating on Windows 7. Thought it was a glitch and tried installing on a second laptop , also Windows 7, and the same thing happened. Fortunately, I was able to figure out how to get back to Windows 7 on each laptop, but the process took about 3 hours for each computer. Obviously there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Angie Oliver 2015

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Same thing happened to my husband's computer and he can't do anything. He has tried to reboot won't work. Has tried to recover using a recovery drive on a flash drive and not able. He can't open anything and this is getting very exhausting. We called Microsoft and talked to someone and was told that we can't fix our computer without paying 200 dollars. That is just crazy to have to pay to fix a problem caused by a free upgrade. I am not even going to upgrade my computer no way. Please help, what needs to be done so can take our computer back to windows 8.1 or even windows 8 which is how was from factory?

John Berry22

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Desktop screen keeps flashing after installing Windows 10 and can't open anything

Do you use Aeroglass by Bigmuscle? Press control alt del when past the login screen, system will stabilize, you can uninstall aeroglass and then find the version for windows 10 RTM though it might be slightly buggy yet as my computer crashed today, but here it is, warning it's not freely available from the site but here is the link xxsorry it won't let me post them as a new memberxx
And as long as you have the same HDD and CPU don't worry just redownload the reg file or save it from being deleted when you uninstall.

Well that was what caused the problem for me anyway.

buffalocook

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site

I can't take credit for this but it is a fix that worked for me. Someone by the user name of NualaMa at PC Adviser suggested this and it worked for me and others. I felt like I needed to pass this on because I know your anguish. One thing is, though, you will have to figure out how to boot into safe mode, which took me a while to figure out. Google it if you need to know how to do that. Anyhow here's NualaMa's suggestion which I cut and paste. Good luck!

"There is a simple fix

Open task manager ... under file (top left) "Run new task" ... type msconfig (yes it is hard to type as screen blinks, but it can be done) ... In the new box that opens (it may be behind the task manager box) go to Service Tab .... Scroll until you find 2 tasks that need to be stopped ... (1) Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel Support .... (2) Windows Error Report Service.... Disable these by unchecking .... Click Apply ... Click OK ... If you are prompted to restart, then restart computer .....

This is the main issue causing the screen to blink . .. Ironic that the items causing the errors are the solutions designed to report errors to microsoft"

Edward Leachman

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
From NualaMa on page 1:

Open task manager (Control+Alt+Delete)... under file (top left) "Run new task" ... type msconfig (yes it is hard to type as screen blinks, but it can be done) ... In the new box that opens (it may be behind the task manager box) go to Service Tab .... Scroll until you find 2 tasks that need to be stopped ... (1) Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel Support .... (2) Windows Error Report Service.... Disable these by unchecking .... Click Apply ... Click OK ... If you are prompted to restart, then restart computer .....

This is the main issue causing the screen to blink . .. Ironic that the items causing the errors are the solutions designed to report errors to microsoft

This definitely worked for me! Thanks NualaMa!

Lyla Theriac

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site

This worked perfectly.... I was completely panicked to be without use of my desktop! This solved the problem! Thanks so much for sharing!

susannec

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
My computer HP was doing this and found out it was something to do with Nortons Security, Nortons walked me through the whole thing and my computer is a ok now. If you have nortons internet security this may be the reason screen is flashing. they helped me for free very caring and made sure everything was working ok before they signed off.

Emma Wong

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
From NualaMa on page 1:

Open task manager (Control+Alt+Delete)... under file (top left) "Run new task" ... type msconfig (yes it is hard to type as screen blinks, but it can be done) ... In the new box that opens (it may be behind the task manager box) go to Service Tab .... Scroll until you find 2 tasks that need to be stopped ... (1) Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel Support .... (2) Windows Error Report Service.... Disable these by unchecking .... Click Apply ... Click OK ... If you are prompted to restart, then restart computer .....

This is the main issue causing the screen to blink . .. Ironic that the items causing the errors are the solutions designed to report errors to microsoft

This definitely worked for me! Thanks NualaMa!

Michelle Gaudio

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site

I can't take credit for this but it is a fix that worked for me. Someone by the user name of NualaMa at PC Adviser suggested this and it worked for me and others. I felt like I needed to pass this on because I know your anguish. One thing is, though, you will have to figure out how to boot into safe mode, which took me a while to figure out. Google it if you need to know how to do that. Anyhow here's NualaMa's suggestion which I cut and paste. Good luck!

"There is a simple fix

Open task manager ... under file (top left) "Run new task" ... type msconfig (yes it is hard to type as screen blinks, but it can be done) ... In the new box that opens (it may be behind the task manager box) go to Service Tab .... Scroll until you find 2 tasks that need to be stopped ... (1) Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel Support .... (2) Windows Error Report Service.... Disable these by unchecking .... Click Apply ... Click OK ... If you are prompted to restart, then restart computer .....

This is the main issue causing the screen to blink . .. Ironic that the items causing the errors are the solutions designed to report errors to microsoft"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss